Thread: RFDI software development

1. RFDI software development

Hello everyone, I just got kinda involved in some kind of project that involved RFDI tags as a form of payment. To be honest I have no clue about RFDI, of course I am software developer, but I have never done this kind of thing. We havent choose a manufacturer yet and I was told that the options they have in kind provide their own SDK ,but the other members of my team are not developpers.

So I have some questions that I wanted to ask you that migth enlighten me.

Does RFDI cards-tags provide only an ID like a bar code or are they able to store moré fields?
    Do I have to program every terminal or they must be connected trough a backbone to a server or some kind of switch?
    Can I have an stand alone terminals that are able to read and write to a card in order to take credit out from the card (expending credit)
    Do I have to program the terminals in a low level language or something like java or c++?

Re: RFDI software development

Does RFDI cards-tags provide only an ID like a bar code or are they able to store moré fields?
    The small tags (keychain tags) are read-only, like bar codes. Same thing for the ultra-cheap very-near-field readers.
    The larger cards (credit card size) together with the ISO standard 13 MHz readers can store some amount of information (think "a few small integers.")

Do I have to program every terminal or they must be connected trough a backbone to a server or some kind of switch?
    The reader (and writer) typically is its own thing, and spits out whatever card is detected on a serial line, and you can write back commands to it to write data back if it's supported by the reader and card used. Note that the user may be moving the card away already, so you may not actually be able to write even though you try to.

Can I have an stand alone terminals that are able to read and write to a card in order to take credit out from the card (expending credit)
    Current technology makes it very challenging to try to avoid the double spending problem. Thus, all actual solutions will use a network connection to a back-end server that does all the math, and will only use the RFID tag as an identifier (account number or similar.)

Do I have to program the terminals in a low level language or something like java or c++?
    When you say "terminal," what do you mean? Typically, an RFID reader module is not programmable at all -- it just has a serial interface. Actual code you write runs on a microcontroller, single-board computer, or other programmable system that talks to the reader. You can program that piece in whatever language is supported by the vendor of that piece. If that piece is an Arduino, it's typically C/C++. If that piece is an ARM board running Linux, go to town with Haskell or whatever you want :-)

3. Re: RFDI software development

Thank you very much Jwatte you have clearify a lot of things to me. I thought the readers were a stand alone terminals that did moré than just reading and they needed to be programmed. Now I know were to start, basically I need a network backbone although I could store credit in one of those few integers fields without encription but that would make it easier to fake credit.

Re: RFDI software development

that would make it easier to fake credit
    I would strongly advise against even trying. Even with encryption, someone will find out how to clone a card, encryption and all. Then, they will spend some money, go back and re-write the card it was before spending, try again, ...

There's some good stories on thedaylywtf.com about just this :-)

5. Re: RFDI software development

Thank you I will check the link, I haven't talk with the company interested in the project yet but it appears they are insisting in such solution, I will have a chance to talk to them and warn them about the security risks.

Thread Information