Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: A modified PhantomX to add another degree of freedon running Phoenix software.

Images

A modified PhantomX to add another degree of freedon running Phoenix software.

This is a work in progress robot where I've taken a Trossen PhantomX AX-18 and modified their design to add another degree of freedom. I flipped the femur tonight just to see what it would look like angled down without changing much so it slides a bit when walking. The tarsus is not there yet, they should be perpendicular to the ground plane . Caused by the rather odd leg orientation. I'll probably flip it back to look like a normal spider leg later this week. The turret I've posted in previous posts was removed due to the servos being the same ID's I wanted to use for the new leg segment. I'll add it back after I have changed their ID's and leg angles are what they should be.

Phoenix code written by Jeroen Janssen and ported to C by Kurt Eckhardt. Modified by Kurt Eckhardt and Kåre Halvorsen.

First pass proper [Main post updated to show first pass of proper leg orientation]

Second pass.. mostly dialed in. [Main post update to show final results]

(Main post has been updated to show all videos so you don't have to scroll through pages.)
    Last edited by KevinO; 02-04-2013 at 11:45 AM.

Re: A modified PhantomX to add another degree of freedon running Phoenix software.

Looks like fun. Let me know of any changes needed in the code base to support this.

Thanks
    Kurt

Images

Re: A modified PhantomX to add another degree of freedon running Phoenix software.

Hi Kurt,

Only a few of changes were needed in the "Phoenix_Driver_AX12.h" mostly in the GP player code. A couple of "bioloid.poseSize" objects were hardcoded to 18 so I increased those using the same "c4DOF" definition. I've attached an updated version to this post. It should diff with you github version so you can see my changes. Just one note. Although I've expanded the GP player I did not update any of the sequences so it's probably not a good idea to try and play back any of them. :P

Once I've found a nice start position for the feet and the Tars Const and angles are what I like I'll send you a Hex_Cfg if you are interested.

Cheers,
    Kevin Ochs
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Kevin,

I think I merged your changes into my code base. I did it slightly differently to use the NUMSERVOS define to replace all of the hard coded 18s. If you get a chance could you see if I caught everything.

Thanks Again
    Kurt
    Attached Files Attached Files

Images

Thanks Kurt! I'll take a look tonight. I might have a few hours left here at the studio so it might be late before I can reply. I've been working on a FK to IK matching algorithm all day for a dragon motion system with a quadruped type leg. (That animators have somehow found a pose it can't solve.) It's kind of ironic I go home and continue to work with IK as a hobby. :P

Images

Sorry Kurt but I didn't have time to take a look at your changes tonight. I wanted to come home and flip the femur back around and shoot another video. I'll take a look tomorrow at lunch.

So here is another video of the robot as it stands tonight. The leg is back to a standard orientation. Tarsus is at a better angle. I've realized the gait speed is to fast now so I'll start slowing it down to something more reasonable. Anyway enjoy!

Cheers,
    Kevin

Images

Quote Originally Posted by KevinO View Post
    Thanks Kurt! I'll take a look tonight. I might have a few hours left here at the studio so it might be late before I can reply. I've been working on a FK to IK matching algorithm all day for a dragon motion system with a quadruped type leg. (That animators have somehow found a pose it can't solve.) It's kind of ironic I go home and continue to work with IK as a hobby. :P
    I build robots all day for a living, and then go home and build more robots. Nothing wrong with doing something ya love.

Images

So true Tyberius. I've been a Character Technical Director for 17 years.... Ten of those years here at DreamWorks.. I can't think of anything else I would rather do.

Thanks, no problem and no hurry. I just like to make sure the code as up to date as possible...

Also I think the legs do look better now!

Kurt

Images

As I was telling KevinO via PM, ideally if you're going to go from 3DOF >> 4 DOF, you want your tarsus to be a smaller length addition to the tibia, rather than turning the tibia into the tarsus. Obviously he was just doing what he could with the existing frame set and components, but hopefully our new Mark II design will be out soon and I plan on releasing a 4DOF upgrade option for that.

When they're ready, I'll send both of you a set of leg upgrade frames for both 3DOF and 4DOF since you're doing work on the code. The body is primarily the same between the original PhantomX and Mark II.

Thread Information