Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TwitchMX - The Mech of Many Feet

Images

Re: TwitchMX - The Mech of Many Feet

Progress has been lots of small things recently. Next weekend I should have legs in place.

Most recently, I've got the turret linkages assembled. Next up is to get the turret shell/box designed, and prototyped with cardboard... gotta verify placement of all the electronics up to. Similarly, I need to prototype the battery case, but that should be easier to do.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	twitchmx03.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	4527
    I'm using a lot of that brass rod... 36 shaft collars and nearly 5ft of brass rod on the final bot

Software progress has also happened. However, testing is pending my mounting the electronics, so I need to make that a priority.

Is that an AX-12 on top? I'm trying to figure out how it's actually linked into your turret. Does the black gear drive the entire carriage forward/back at the bottom, and thus aiming up/down?

Images

If I am thinking correctly, there is a black printed gear attached to the left AX-12. That meshes with the printed gear on the vertical frame connecting the gun mount to the rest of the bot (gear is fixed to frame, with a swivel directly above it connecting the fixed frame/gear to the gun mount). As the pan servo rotates, it causes the entire gun mount to swivel on the frame. The tilt servo is attached to the double wide dynamixel frame usually used in the hip and foot of a bioloid humanoid. I think it should permit less play in a shorter form factor than mounting directly to the servo horns with (like on the phantomx pincher arm) or without external thrust bearings (kinect pan-tilt on maxwell and darsha), and kinda wish I had thought of it.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh

Images

Jwatte, I'm using the exact same geometry for linkages as I describe in this post for Numa: http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/sh...0540#post50540

You can see the turret attachments more clearly in the first post of this thread.

Tician is basically correct, except the gears are from the internals of the Crosman airsoft guns (My printer has nowhere near the needed quality for gears) In this case, I saved about half an inch in height. I still had to have the printed riser so that the leg linkages don't hit the turret, though.

Images

Spent the weekend CAD'ing and laser-ing at Trossen.

Prior to that I did some work on the adjustable end legs. The below mechanism slides, with a bolt that I can turn to get about 1/4" of height adjustment. I then have several holes, so I can move the (yellow 3D printed) slider over a wide range of foot heights. These pics aren't the final product - I counterbore such that the bolt head is within the 3D printed plastic, and then plates bolted above (to which the legs mount in the second pic) hold the bolt head in place.

Name:	twitchmxendleg01.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	4532

I went with the "laser-cut box" approach for TwitchMX's canopy. Here's an initial shot.

Name:	twitchmx04_original.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	4531
    I still need to attach the top and back panels, and mount the electronics. Gotta do some 3D printed parts first, though. I'll have better pics eventually

The battery carriage is also new. It's hair pins and 0.03" polycarbonate...

Images

Looking good Sir!

Can't wait to see this bad boy walking.

Images

Everything but the guns (and score panels/LEDs) is wired up.

Other than the power switch being built into one of the legs, all the electronics are in the turret and easily accessible.

Rear view. A single hairpin goes through two holes in the top, and clips around a bolt.

Name:	twitchmx06.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	4536
    Remove the hairpin and...

Wires! Back and top fold out. Rubber band keeps stress of wires when the back is open, and I stash the hairpin on the bottom right so I don't lose it...

Name:	twitchmx05.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	4535

Side view. The single gun slides onto the brass rods sticking out on other side. Gotta trim this side's rods down.

Name:	twitchmx07.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	4537

Turret rotated at an angle. Note connector for cam's auxiliary atenna. Blue LED is the battery monitor - the plastic is rather translucent and one side is fairly reflective.

Name:	twitchmx08_original.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	4538

Images

And one more pic.

Name:	twitchmx09_original.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	4539

Gotta tuck that battery cable in a bit, I think

Shiny!

Is that gray plastic acrylic?

Images

I wouldn't expect plexiglass to survive very long against an airsoft barrage. I seem to remember someone making a protector for their camera from plexi and having it shatter horribly on one of the first hits.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh

Thread Information