Trossen Arduino Top Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tachikoma

Tachikoma

Hi all,

Wanted to share with you my robot, I have chosen to build a (to scale) Tachikoma robot with as
    much features and functionality as the 'real' one as possible. This project started about 2 years ago
    but it really took off around new year of 2012/2013 when I took some time off from work to work on it. I
    like the Tachikoma because of the cuteness and for the technical challenges, it being a anime robot
    it does not always display realistic behaviour but its great to see how far I can get, forcing me to
    design with certain constraints is a great challenge. I also considered making a Claptrap from Borderlands,
    Gur from invader zim and my girlfriend really wants me to make a Wall-E with moving eyes.

Naturally I have to give a shout out to the Xachikoma by Xevel, it is awesome and inspirational. I found it a few weeks
    a go while googling quadropod robots and sending Xevel a pm was the whole reason I joined the Trossen robotics forum.

As a study I have a degree in mechanical engineering, until starting this project I had little electrical or programming experience, currently just learning as I go. Getting the walking gait to work with an Arduino was for me a huge achievement. Most of the time I use (after rigorous selection and puzzling) off the self products. I do not have any machining capabilities but I am getting myself a 3D printer for the third prototype iteration.

Current overview of the prototype design ideas and features.

Proto I
    • Determining leg DOFs and right combination.
    • Getting an Arduino to work with servos.

Proto II

• 4 legs, 4 wheels, 3 DOF legs with 2 DOFs meant for walking and 1 DOF for steering and actuator for wheels.
    • Use distance sensors to steer away from walls.
    • Implementing the walk pattern.
    • Power robot with lab power supply or battery (easily switch able).
    • Combining the ssc-32 with the Arduino.
    • Diagram for initial autonomous behaviour.

Proto III
    • 3D printed body to resemble Tachikoma.
    • Proper mounting for distance sensors, adding one more to watch the front for reducing velocity.
    • Mechanically improve steering, locate wheel centre underneath steering servo.
    • Optimise autonomous driving and walking behaviour.
    • Sound with WAV shield, already collected audio samples from GITS episodes (Japanese). Having some trouble with Arduino memory restraints.

Some pictures and videos:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tachi-proto-2.png 
Views:	146 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	4495

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tachi-proto-3-01.png 
Views:	158 
Size:	299.3 KB 
ID:	4496

For more info (in Dutch), pictures and video I keep them on my website: http://www.cmhofstede.nl/category/ei...en-vrije-tijd/
    Last edited by CasperH; 02-02-2013 at 08:42 AM.

Re: Tachikoma

Cool! You're starting off much more ambitious than I am. I'm just going for a rolling Tachikoma all the way, although I
    am using mecanum wheels so I can get sideways/diagonal/etc movement. The pics in my flickr set are for the Mark1
    chassis, and I'm constantly upgrading as we go. I hope to actually skin Sapporo in vacuformed plastic or slushcast
    resin shells in a couple of months.

Build pics and a video of him in motion in the flickr set at the link below

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8829589...th/7907761230/

Images

Those are both awesome

4. Trossen Dynamixel High Thread Banner

Hi,

Thank you both for the kind words.

Hardsuit I don't know about ambitions, yours is much bigger then mine (assuming you are a guy it might be really wrong to say this )! The wheels are a good idea and would allow extra mobility without the need for an additional steering DOF. For the body you might like this Tachikoma for inspiration: http://letsmakerobots.com/node/28693 It seems the project itself was paused but the body and mechanics are there.

Do you have a forum thread for your project yet? I could post some questions there. I am assuming your Tachikoma is R/C? I have to google some of the terms you used for the body. I am not that knowledgeable in that area yet.

Ill have an update shortly, made my first 3D print, integrated some distance sensors and added some more behavior (includes video).

Thanks for the compliment! Yeah, he's about 18" tall and wide at his current scale, which was based upon the 2" wheels.
    I'm seriously considering scaling him up to around 30" or so and using the VEX 4" diameter mecanum wheels, since my
    current hardware would be able to go to that size with no issues. The 18" version more than enough torque from the motors,
    so the larger scale would give me a lot more speed at the same RPM from the bigger wheels, and a lot more interior volume
    to stuff in more servos for the arms, eyes, etc.

Yes, it's all off the shelf R/C parts for the controls currently. The motor controllers are from Pololu, and the mecanum mixer
    board is from RobotLogic. Using NiMH AA rechargables for power since I was having issues with LiPo packs (which I plan to
    correct in the future). I don't have a thread on the robot anywhere, actually.

Images

The vex mecanum wheels are very nice and smooth rolling. Only possible con is that they use the square axle and do not have a press/interference fit, so either drill it out to press onto a round shaft (with or without shaft key) or buy the square axle and some shaft collars. Maybe I'll get some actual work done on the bot using them during the break (after finishing several papers, and creating two presentations on topics about which I know little - "monte carlo localization" and "extremal optimization").
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"

8. Re: Tachikoma

The world needs more Tachikomas, stay strong brothers!

Both projects are looking great Well done guys!
    ---
    XD Team - http://xevel.org (now in English!)

Images

The world needs more Tachikomas
    So, I'm clued-out here. What's a Tachikoma? Got a good reference?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    So, I'm clued-out here. What's a Tachikoma? Got a good reference?
    Quadropod tank-bots from the Ghost in the Shell TV series and later movie(s). They are quite bad-ass, though often very much unrealistic (how does a several hundred/thousand pound killer-tank-bot jump onto the top of a house and not crush the cheap tin roof?)
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"

Images

how does a several hundred/thousand pound killer-tank-bot jump onto the top of a house and not crush the cheap tin roof?
    Anti-gravity.

Thread Information