Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D printed turret

3D printed turret

In my experience, getting all the parts of a turret attached solidly and effectively is one of the more difficult aspects of mech design. Since I have limited tools and supplies to do this by hand, I have decided to design a model in Alibre and send it to shapeways. Here is the design I plan to use. It has faces to place target panels using cogswell's mounting frames, a slot for a trendnet camera, a support for my rather oversized gearbox, a hopper with a servo slot, and a hopup. Just thought I would post it here since its a rather unusual design that some of you might want to see. I plan on sending it in the next couple days, so any input would be great.

edit: added a cover for the hopper. forgot it earlier. :P

update: apparently printing is more expensive than i thought. Looks like I'll have to scale this back a bit.

update: Here is the link to it on shapeways. This is a significantly cut down version. Still rather expensive, but I can't really cut anything else without ruining it's functionality.

update: apparently I can't explain things. nothing new. my bad. Switched the old pictures for some more recent ones with labelling. Also changed first paragraph.

Cheers,
    Ben

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1e.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	4508Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2e.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	4509

http://www.shapeways.com/model/90917...77c5d4ac1763dc

turret.zip
    Last edited by byi; 02-06-2013 at 09:05 PM.

2. Re: 3D printed turret

You might get more feedback if you are able to post images of the design.

Also, I although have Alibre and want to look at your design, I can not because Alibre can export STL files but it can not import them (without 3rd party addons).

Re: 3D printed turret

I took some quick screen shots of your STL file:

I don't know what the isolated cylider in the center is? Also, are those thicker C brackets on top and center actually connected to the rest?

Also, without having any idea what kind of servos you're using or where they're going, it's hard to tell how it's supposed to fit together.

The cylinder is a plug that will slide inside the gearbox mount behind the gearbox. The other separate piece, the bracket, is going to have a servo mounted on the inside of one of the forks. The axle of the servo will connect to the one of the forks found on the main turret piece. the other "free" fork will connect to the other turret fork via a joint (probably just a bolt). The spacing is designed for an ax-12 servo. I will post pictures and the alibre file tonight.
    Last edited by byi; 02-04-2013 at 12:25 PM.

5. Re: 3D printed turret

Thanks for updating the post with images and an Alibre version of the model. I wish I could provide some feedback, but it seems quite specialized (as you indicated). You've obviously put a lot of thought and work in to it. It would be great to see photos of the physical parts when you get it back (and especially after everything is assembled.) Good luck with it.

Well, the new design isnt quite as pretty, but it should still work. What do you guys think?

Images

I have no idea what exactly I am looking at. Perhaps add some other views or descriptions?

Yes; putting in placeholders for the different servos, guns, and cameras would go a long way towards communicating intent!

Images

What material are you making it out of? I would be a little worried about some of the long thin parts bending or breaking, although i don't know how its mounted together (same question everyone else asked).

Thinnest parts are eigth inch. It's made of the stronger plastic available from shapeways, so I think it should be able to take some hits. I hope the updated and less cryptic top post is more helpful.

Thread Information