Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Bioloid Premium CM530 Help

Images

Re: Bioloid Premium CM530 Help

The STM32 library has been updated at least once since the version that Robotis used to create their embedded-c libraries. There are a lot of linker and configuration files that I have no idea how to correctly configure by hand. They should be much more easily created using any of a number of much better polished ARM compiler/IDE than plain arm-none-eabi-gcc and makefiles (IAR, KEIL, EmbeddedArtists, etc. - mostly windows only).

Basic start-up process is to start a clock(s), configure pins, initialize/configure devices (ADC, DMA, USART, etc.), then start a bit of user code (preferably adding some useful debug info printed out on a UART).

ARM is a processing architecture. Microcontroller is generally reserved to describe embedded systems without an operating system (usually 8 or 16-bit, but ARM Cortex-M certainly fit the bill - low level control of devices). Microprocessor is generally reserved to describe more powerful systems usually using an OS (x86, ARM11, ARM Cortex-A8/9/+ found in pcs/tablets/smartphones).
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh

I know what ARM is, I at least had that pre req down before this project
    We've almost got the base of this project down though.

3. Re: Bioloid Premium CM530 Help

Alright I am also a student in this group of people attempting to use C to control the Bioloid CM-530. I am a little less advanced in overall programming than my classmate is, but I have some questions that I believe you could possibly answer.

I have the JRE, WinARM, and Eclipse trio setup on a VMWare Virtual Machine (running on MacBook Pro 15"). I have yet to try out your library in Eclipse, but whenever I run the "Bioloid provided" library I continue to get error code, "Program 'make' not found in PATH"

I understand that the "make" file is located in C:/WinARM/utils/bin file, and I see it in the folder itself, but Eclipse does not see it for some reason. I also understand that the "make" file is used for processing "MakeFiles"

I apologize for my lack on Windows experience (I'm a Mac guy), so bear with me. I have gone into Eclipse >> Properties >> C/C++ General >> Paths and Symbols >> Library Paths and added "C:/WinARM/utils/bin" --- yet the error still occurs.

What am I doing wrong here? Thanks for all the help!

4. Re: Bioloid Premium CM530 Help

Oh, and here is the Console error code that Eclipse is giving me:

Cannot run program "make": Launching failed

Error: Program "make" not found in PATH
    PATH=[C:/Users/Josh Plonski/Downloads/eclipse-cpp-juno-SR2-win32-x86_64 v2/eclipse/jre/bin/server;C:/Users/Josh Plonski/Downloads/eclipse-cpp-juno-SR2-win32-x86_64 v2/eclipse/jre/bin;C:/Users/Josh Plonski/Downloads/eclipse-cpp-juno-SR2-win32-x86_64 v2/eclipse/jre/lib/amd64;C:\WinARM\bin; C:\WinARM\utils\bin;C:\Users\Josh Plonski\Downloads\eclipse-cpp-juno-SR2-win32-x86_64 v2\eclipse]

Images

You need to add both ";C:\WinARM\bin;c:\WinARM\utils\bin;" to the Windows PATH environmental variable. Even took me a few tries to get it right the first time I was setting up WinARM a while back (also can conflict with WinAVR and mingw compilers since the toolchains do not bother to use prefixes like they should - ubuntu does, so no conflicts there).

The process differs somewhat between Windows versions, but with W7: you left-click on the start button -> right-click on computer -> left-click on properties from the pop-up menu -> left-click on "Advanced system settings" in the left-side panel of the new window that pops up -> left-click "Environmental Variables..." button in the bottom right of the new window -> scroll down in the lower scroll window until you see the "PATH" or "Path" variable -> left-click to select it, then click edit button -> paste the two additional paths into the variable (be very sure to append, not replace. and always separate paths with a ";").
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    bleh

6. Re: Bioloid Premium CM530 Help

Awesome! That fixed that problem, but now I have another error code that has risen and I can't seem to figure this one out anywhere.

When I build the LED project, Eclipse is giving me the error, "make: *** [APP/src/main.o] Error 2"

I believe this is a problem when converting the main.c file into objectives, but I can't seem to figure out how to fix this.

Until I get all these errors figured out Eclipse won't create a CM530.bin file to load with the boot loader, so I'm getting anxious to figure these errors out.

Also, just wondering Tician but do you know where the pins and ports are defined? Each stm32f10x_gpio.h file defines the gpio ports with the exact same value(s), and was wondering if these should change? Because in each main.c file the pins and ports used are all 1-15, but the same port/pin combo in 01 LED/APP/src/main.c is used to define an LED while the same values are used to define a different LED. Here's the source comparison:
    01 LED/APP/src/main.c:
    Code:
    #define PIN_LED_AUX                GPIO_Pin_12
    #define PIN_LED_MANAGE             GPIO_Pin_13
    #define PIN_LED_PROGRAM            GPIO_Pin_14
    #define PIN_LED_PLAY               GPIO_Pin_15
    #define PIN_LED_POWER              GPIO_Pin_13
    #define PIN_LED_TX                 GPIO_Pin_14
    #define PIN_LED_RX                 GPIO_Pin_15
    02 BUZZER/APP/src/main.c:
    Code:
    #define PIN_SW_UP                  GPIO_Pin_11
    #define PIN_SW_DOWN                GPIO_Pin_10
    #define PIN_SW_RIGHT               GPIO_Pin_14
    #define PIN_SW_LEFT                GPIO_Pin_15
    #define PIN_SW_START               GPIO_Pin_3
    How and why is.. Say PIN_SW_RIGHT and PIN_LED_PROGRAM defined as GPIO_Pin_14? This is referencing back to each project being a little different in each library. Also do you know where or in which file the ports/pins are defined instead of stm32f10x_gpio.h? Each "_lib.h" file imports the gpio.h so I had assumed they were defined in there, but each gpio.h file seams to be the same.

Images

There are 16 pins per port, with multiple ports on each device. To control an individual pin, you have to specify both the port and the pin on that port to be controlled. The various pins and ports used by the CM-530 are defined in all the different example programs and also on the robotis support site on one of the CM-530 page with a basic schematic. The stm32 library is oblivious to the actual pinout and port use of the CM-530, it only knows what device, pins, and ports it is told to use.
    bleh

Ooooh okay, so when we're defining which port to use, each sample program's library will probably be defining that somewhere else than the stm32f10x_gpio.h file? Although does your library have all the ports and pins defined? If so that would greatly help us, once we know those we can begin programming things more interesting than LEDs flashing. I've been searching around in the stm32f10x library files, and a reference to
    Code:
    APB1PERIPH_BASE
    was made in a stm32f10x_map.h file. I found a reference again in the STM32_COMMON.ld file. Can an ld file interact with c files i.e. defining variables?
    Last edited by Ech0riginal; 03-13-2013 at 08:22 AM.

Images

Every port and pin definition I could find/identify is in cm530.h after all the dxl/pcu/zgb function prototypes (and their doxygen documentation). cm530.c contains the struct arrays that made it easier to control pins (only pass one integer value and the easy-function pulls the port and pin from the struct - a little bit like arduino, but a bit less generic since so many pins have only one possible function in the CM-530).

Not really sure about the linker scripts; it's unfortunate that I do not have more gcc/makefile experience.
    bleh

Thread Information