Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Bioloid Premium CM530 Help

Re: Bioloid Premium CM530 Help

Is there an IDE like AVR Studio but for ARM Architectures?
    Yes. It's called "bash" :-)

Seriously, though, all an IDE does is provide a text editor (there are lots of good ones -- if you don't like Emacs or Vim, you can use Eclipse or whatever on Unix, and Notepad++ or similar on Windows.
    Secondly, an IDE writes a make file for you. That's all it does -- take the input you configure, and spit out the appropriate compiler command line options for where to find header files, what optimizations to use, what libraries to include, etc.

If you can learn what your compiler options are -- mainly -I, -L, and -l -- and how to set up a GNU make file, you really don't need an IDE at all. In fact, the IDE ends up getting in the way, because it has a rigid idea of how to configure the compiler, and sometimes what you actually want to do is slightly different. If you believe that you will be doing more software development in your life (a pretty good bet :-) then learning to drive your compiler and linker from the command line, with specific options, is a very good investment of time IMO.

That being said, I'm sure you *can* configure Eclipse to totally drive an ARM-GCC tool chain with some particular set of libraries. In my opinion, that would be wasted time better used to learn how the real tools work :-)

I know all of this..
    I've spent the past two years learning Java and the past year with Objective-C, plus PHP, and the web design set (CSS, AJAX/JS, and HTML5), I know what an IDE is and what it does. I would much rather use one than using bash commands. And yes, you can configure Eclipse to run and compile ARM architecture and Embedded C/C++. Thank you for the definitions of what an IDE is and does, but I already know that. And how a compiler works. and what GCC and it's ARM toolchain is.
    However, learning to use a compiler and linker are already under my belt, however I'm not adept at using them, I prefer shell scripts and makefiles to compile and link my files for me instead of doing it all manually. If you read through some of the previous posts in this thread, some of the things that you covered were already discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    That being said, I'm sure you *can* configure Eclipse to totally drive an ARM-GCC tool chain with some particular set of libraries. In my opinion, that would be wasted time better used to learn how the real tools work :-)
    If you google about with the search terms "ARM IDE" or something of that nature, a plug-in for Eclipse called DS-5 is available which is a dev suite for ARM. I was previously using Xcode, but switched to my Windows VM to use Eclipse. Finding a viable ARM IDE isn't a big priority, however if anyone knows of one I'd love to hear about it.

BBEdit doesn't count, nor does Notepad++

If cm530.h is not found, you will get all kinds of errors for the things that are supposed to be in that file.
    Start solving that.
    First: Are you sure the spelling is right? If you're on Linux, or on Windows/Mac with a case sensitive file system, there's a difference betweem "cm530.h" and "cm530.H" and "CM530.H" for example.
    Second: Are you specifying the right library locations? Your compiler needs to be told to look for include files in the directory where the cm530.h file lives if you want to include it as "cm530.h" -- is this how other files include it? Or is it something like "cm530/cm530.h" or "robotis/cm530.h" or similar?
    You need to figure out how your tools take their arguments, and what particular arguments are needed for the tools to use the right include files and libraries, to move forward.

Thread Information