Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Thread: PhantomX controlled by a Raspberry Pi

1. Re: PhantomX controlled by a Raspberry Pi

Quote Originally Posted by KurtEck View Post
    As for communications? a lot may depend on how you break up the code (i.e. what runs on each board).
    You could have the whole PhantomX code base like my Phoenix stuff run on the Arbotix and have the RPI send data emulating the Arbotix Commander...

Or you could do like some of my RPI code and have all of it run on the HOST(rpi), and download Bioloid packets through the Serial port, where code on the Arbotix decides if it is for itself and process it or forward the data out the to the main Bioloid chain. Or what some of my code base will be doing is to output group moves (poses) to my code base, which will take care of doing the interpolation between moves. I have had this working before. What I will add soon is the ability to download the next pose before the current one completes. This should remove all of the delay/stutter, that we sometimes see with RPI talking to some boards like the Arbotix Pro...

So what you use to do the actual talking is up to you. My code base sets up a Stream and uses termios system to do the talking and handle most of the terminal IO support.
    These shoul be two different solutions?
    So, I use your phoenix code as a base on arbotix and the rpi as a commander in order to send data?
    Or, another solution could be to load your code on RPI in order to send packets through the Serial port and let device the arbotix for itself?
    If I choose this solution, what sketch I need to load on the arbotix?

Anyway, this object should be the same to the sparkfun ones, am I right?

Re: PhantomX controlled by a Raspberry Pi

As for the the ttl level converter, I would guess yes... But I don't speak the language... So can only go by the pictures :lol:

If you are going with the idea of running the may Phoenix code base (or other hexapod code) on the RPI and have the Arbotix-M simply be the Servo controller, like the USB2AX... There may be ready sketches out there. Again would have to look at which version of the arduino IDE you are using and the like:

I don't think I have one right now that is targeted at the Arbotix-m... Most of my versions are setup for Teensy boards.
    Example: https://github.com/KurtE/Teensy_Arbotix_Pro

My guess is it would not be too difficult for me to strip one down... Would strip out IMU stuff which is all #ifdef, would strip out all Neopixel and sound stuff... Would potentially either #ifdef out some of the code that maps hardware ports to a set of logical registers, or put in different mapping...

There are some things in here currently setup for things somewhat specific to Teensy, like some of the additional logical libraries, like interval timer and the like...

And as I mentioned there are probably other code bases as well. Example I believe that Trossen (Interbotix) setup some sketches like this to work with ROS. Example: https://github.com/Interbotix/arboti...re/src/ros.ino
    However I have never tried it, nor know if it is working now or not or....

3. Re: PhantomX controlled by a Raspberry Pi

Hi Kurt,
    I tried to connect the rpi and the arbotix with the ttl logic converter, here you find the scheme of the connection that I made.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Senzanome.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	7082
    In this way the rpi should have the power from the hexapod, but turning on the interrupter the rpi do not turn on. Is it necessary, maybe power at 5V?

Not sure what you are saying by turning on the interrupter...

But yes the RPI does require a +5v input to power it. I have only played a little with the RPI zero, so I don't know for sure if you can power it through the expansion connector... Probably can. I have powered RPI2 and RPI3 this way. Alternative is to make a usb cable that only has the power/gnd to plug into the usb power connector on RPI3.

Also not sure if the voltage regulator on the Arbotix-m on if it has enough reserve power to power the RPI3... I think it outputs max of 1.5 amps. The wallwart that came with my Pi zero is a 1amp... So maybe works as long as you don't have power hungry things plugged in.

5. Re: PhantomX controlled by a Raspberry Pi

This is the interrupter. Swithing it, the hexapod is activated.
    But is not possible to wire the pin power 5v and gnd on arbotix and rpi directly? Because when I did it, the rpi was powered regularly from arbotix but maybe it's not the correct power for the others pin? So, remained to connect the TX and RX trough the ttl converter?
    Finally, remains two pin left (CTS and RTS) on arbotix, is it necessary to connect them?

i.e. - A switch!

Which I assume connects to either 12v wall wart or 3s lipo battery...

So you wire up switch to power connector on the Arbotix (as well as ground).

And from your posting #3 you connect up the Arbotix to the level shifter.

On the Arbotix Side you run: TX, RX,5v, gnd to the level shifter.

On the RPI side: your run: RX, GND, +3.3v, gnd

Now you still need to power up the RPI, which requires +5V. The connections above do not supply power to RPI. The power you supply to the level shifter is used as reference powers to properly shift the TTL levels.

So you need to connect up the RPI to power +5V.

My gut tells me that the +5v VR on the Arbotix does not provide enough power to be able to tap into a +5v pin on it to connect to RPI... Could be wrong.

In the past, when using standard boards like this, I used an external voltage regulator or Battery Eliminator Circuit (BEC). I used ones I purchased from Amazon, but Trossen sells a few like: http://www.trossenrobotics.com/6v-3a...s-lipoly-6-32v

I wired them up a couple of different ways, depending on other hookups like what Servo controller I am using... But what I would sometimes do is to cut a servo extension cable in half and hook up the power and gnd pins from side to the appropriate power wires going to the BEC. I would then wire up the output of the BEC to the RPI. Can be done by wiring up a USB connector to the +5v/GND, such that the power goes through any protections built into the RPI or probably you can wire it up to the +5v/GND pins on the RPIS expansion connector...

Others may wire it differently...

Thread Information