Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: PhantomX controlled by a Raspberry Pi

Re: PhantomX controlled by a Raspberry Pi

Yes I'm running Linux! Works pretty well. The ad11 is just a tad over 4"x4"x1.5".

Images

I'm starting to dive into openCV and I'm slightly worried that the rpi won't have enough muscle to plow through what I'm planning on doing. Good to know it runs well.

Is this the ad11+ that is sold by Amazon.com and others? Some of the comments up there talk about fan and large power supply... I probably should do a search as you probably already posted how yours is set up...

Kevin, Just picked up my Edimax from my mailbox, will try later today. Will let you know how it works.

I plan to plug it directly into my powered USB hub.

Kurt

Images

The + versions include RAM and a hdd, but otherwise should be the same. The 19V power supply is biggish, but tiny compared to the brick that came with the i7 dell laptop in the lab (at least twice the size and probably three times the weight). Haven't had any problems yet with the fan of my AD-12 nano, but time will tell. I had some trouble installing 12.04 to a USB3 thumbdrive on mine, but once I broke down and bought an actual 2.5" hdd, all was well. The wifi took a little bit of time to get up and running (had to compile drivers and blacklist conflicts), and I still have not tried to get bluetooth to work yet (don't really need it). Still only pulls ~15W with plenty of kick to handle most opencv stuff (even the quad core Xeon Dell is a bit slow on the >VGA resolution optical flow).
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh

Some of the comments up there talk about fan and large power supply... I probably should do a search as you probably already posted how yours is set up...
    I think I did. I do use the plus version, with RAM and HDD built in. The fan is on the inside, and there are cooling vents on the left and right sides for that.

For 19V, I actually built a custom DC DC converter that goes from my 4S battery to 19V (the tolerance is +/- 5% on that according to Zotac support; I'm at +1%) I built the converter as a boost converter based on a MC34063 PWM controller and a N-channel MOSFET and a high-amperage Schottky diode. The heaviest part is the ferrite core of the 220 microHenry inductor... Running on a circuit board I made at OSHpark.com, with very fat traces to take the current. That may be the Achilles heel of this device as a general solution, because I couldn't really find a 19V DC DC converter off the shelf that would work :-(

Anyway, yeah, the RPi was fun to integrate as a robot board, but I did run out of juice on that, just as you fear :-(

I am not sure if anyone else is interested, but I think I finally got my Edimax to work

I found my initial information up at: http://pingbin.com/2012/12/setup-wifi-raspberry-pi/

In the comments, someone mentioned for edimax go to the site: http://www.savagehomeautomation.com/...fi-adapte.html

Still did not work, so did some more searching and found: http://databoyz.wordpress.com/tag/et...nt-conf-setup/

Updated mine to be like that one and now it works... Can now connect up to my Pi without wires.

Kurt

Images

Nice! I'm jealous. That's the one cable I have left.....

Today, I actully got it all to run with out external cables... Still need to do a lot of cleanup to make it right. A bunch of stuff is hanging loose.

Things like: I don't want 6-10' USB cables to connect things that are a few inches apart...

Also the USB breakout from sparkfun, that I connected up to Pi through the UBEC did not appear to want to boot the Pi, but was able to use USB cable from the usb hub to the pi which the HUB is powered from the same UBEC and it was happy ???

Need to set up to automatically run one of my Phoenix builds (either using the Commander or using my DIY remote).

Also need to figure out how to properly use the Imax B6 charger to charge the LifePo4 (Zippy 3600) battery. I know to select the LiPo section, and choose the 2 cell. Not sure what the best charge rate is (Max charge rate 2c, discharge rate 30c). Probably need to figure out how to configure shutoff voltage as Life should turn off by 7.2v... Need to look at manual again.

Edit: I think I found. Go to User-Prog... choose the LIon/LiPo/Life item, then shows Lipo as current, then use Inc or Dec till it shows Life, hit enter...

Kurt
    Last edited by KurtEck; 03-14-2013 at 03:14 PM.

Images

I found 6" usb cables online last week. Let me see if I can find them again. I was thinking of buying a few usb plug breakout boards and just making my own length. I haven't had much time this week to make any progress. We have a new movie coming out on March 22nd so we've had allot of events and wrap parties here at the studio so I've been distracted a bit.

Images

Digikey's probably got you covered.

Cable Assemblies -> USB Cables
    Lots of 100mm in different connector combinations.

Connectors -> USB, DVI, HDMI Connectors
    Connector Type: USB*;
    Mounting Type: Free Hanging and Panel Mount*;

Unfortunately, they do not keep many short lengths of shielded 4-conductor cables in stock (smallest right now is ~50m), but could probably just resize an new/existing cable with a new connector (turn a 6' into multiple 4~6" cables).
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh

Thread Information