Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: PhantomX controlled by a Raspberry Pi

Re: PhantomX controlled by a Raspberry Pi

Hi Kevin (and others),

Progress has been a bit slow (weather is too nice ), but have been playing around some more with having the Pi be able to make some more noise

So I implemented my own code to be able to make Beep like sounds using PCM libraries. The code makes a sine wave that plays a specified amount of time with the specified frequency. Some of the memory usage can probably be cleaned up as I make the sine wave for the complete duration of the sound, where I could probably make it for one cycle and then call of to the write function N times...

Also I have the code that uses the libraries associated with espeak to be able to say strings. I also updated my code such that if I am using both of them, one will shutoff the other before trying to initialize itself...

So now my Raspberry T-Hex now does things like play three notes when the Commander is turned on and the like, and also says the name of the walking Gait when choose a new one... Sort-of fun.

Also I fixed a variable type bug found by Kevin... (In this version, still need to fix in the Arduino code base).

If anyone is interested, the sources are up on github\kurte\Raspberry_Pi
    The top level contains a readme file that hopefully has most of the steps to setup the Pi.
    There are a few directories but the main one is the Phoenix directory.

Note: next up is to actually configure this Pi to startup the Hex code as system startup.

Kurt

Images

That's great Kurt! How is that speaker working out? I still need to buy a amplified one. Also for auto startup try adding your executable to /etc/rc.local .

Hi Kevin (and others). I have not been doing much on the T-Hex this week, been busy with some other stuff (mostly non-robotics)... But I thought I should do a real quick and dirty video showing the RPI making sounds...

Again forgive the poor quality, but it is fun having sound available.

Kurt

Images

Sounds great! I went with the female voice. Since I've started calling this robot Charlotte (Charlotte's Web reference) a robotic sounding british female voice seemed fitting. :P Great job! (I still need to pick up the speaker you are using.)

Now that it has sound, I started to play with camera. Got one of these: LogicTech C300 that I ordered from Amazon.com
    It was listed as compatible with RPI in: http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals

It arrived yesterday, so I looked around and found the package motion, and set up one of my RPI. Found information about this in: http://pingbin.com/2012/12/raspberry...server-motion/ as well as in: http://www.instructables.com/id/Rasp...-Camera-Solar/

Motion was configured to 320x240 with 2 frames per second. With this the command top showed that the motion process was using maybe 5-8% of the CPU. When I viewed the image on my PC in a web browser when I moved my hand around it showed a few second delay. If I bump the image size up to 640x480 and 10 frames per second the CPU shows completely saturated, like 97%.

Question: Are others using motion? Suggestions?

Edit: Motion does some form of motion detection, any suggestions on simple video streaming to try out?

Thanks
    Kurt
    Last edited by KurtEck; 04-09-2013 at 08:40 PM.

Images

Have you tried openCV?

Images

Thanks I will try it.

Hi Kevin,
    Ok, I went up to the site you mentioned and installed all of the stuff...
    The steps mentioned on that site were a little round about... Was unsure which things you were supposed to install using synaptic. Also synaptic wanted to run in read only mode.
    Much easier to simply do: sudo apt-get install python-opencv

Also not sure from the instructions on where to install a VNC viewer on the PC. So I found:
    http://www.realvnc.com/download/viewer/

Took a few attempts, found I think I needed to run the python as SU to get it to work...

Not sure yet, if this is the direction I should go or not. That is I am not sure I really want or need to full RPI desktop window running on my PC and using it to view what the camera sees. The detection stuff is interesting and may be something we need when we wish to use the image for object detection/avoidance, so I need to try to figure more of this out.

In the mean time I still wonder if there is some simple package to install that allows me to simply stream the video data out, that I can use some program on PC to view. PC side not sure if that would be something like a web browser, media player... On PI not sure if it should be raw stream, or web server or???

More to figure out

Kurt

Ok, I think I am finding something that may work better for me
    That is to use the video streamer. Had to download it and build it, but once I found a site with complete instructions that worked fine:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Crea...-Raspberry-Pi/

This program actually sets up a default web server that shows several different ways to view the stuff. Will play more

Kurt

Thread Information