Thread: Control and electronics circuits in automation systems

1. Control and electronics circuits in automation systems

I am interesting to know about the automation systems (production line) and the machines that manufactures these products: solar cells, thin-film solar modules, display screens like: Liquid Crystal Display (LCD), touch panel and plasma, thin film rechargeable lithium ion batteries, lithium ion batteries for electric car, fuel cells and printed circuit boards (PCB).
    Some video links that are related to these issues:
    Fuel Cell Manufacturing Plant
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhrcHO_qw80
    FlexPicker Robots
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHuDvVa7mkw
    If you know about links videos or texts about automation systems or machines that produce these products, I will glad if you can write them in this thread.
    I search any connections that can be between machines and automation systems like there are in the video, or that produce the products that I mention above, and several engineering issues.

I have several questions that are related to the control and electronics circuits of automation systems and machines. If you know any link that is related to these subjects so I will glad if you can write them in this thread.

1. I know that they use controllers like in this link:
    http://www.boschrexroth-us.com/count.../pac/index.jsp
    1.A. What functions \ requirements the controllers that can be used for applications likes these automation systems and machines need to have?
    1.B. I see that the controllers have option to connect to the internet. What can be the applications \ advantages these automation systems and machines can use the internet? 1.C. What communication technology can be use between the different kinds of the controllers in these automation systems and machines?
    2.A. I know that there are some standards in motion control hardware, I want to know what are these standard? And how is the organization that is responsible for these standards?
    2.B. I search after information and links that have projects that involve control motion for leaser cutting
    2.C. What are the control motions that maybe can be use in these automation system and machines?
    3.A. What kinds of electronic circuits these automation systems and machines can have? Are these circuit are analogue electronics circuits or digital electronics circuits or both? And why?
    3.B. Are these automation systems and machines have power electronics like switches converters? And why these automation systems and machines have or don't have these technologies?
    3.C. What is driver? What the drivers do?
    4. I am interesting to read links about researches that are doing in the universities labs about the control of these automation systems and machines.

Re: Control and electronics circuits in automation systems

Hi,

Given I work in the "automation industry" I hope I can answer some of your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by RoMoKo View Post
    I am interesting to know about the automation systems (production line) and the machines that manufactures these products: solar cells, thin-film solar modules, display screens like: Liquid Crystal Display (LCD), touch panel and plasma, thin film rechargeable lithium ion batteries, lithium ion batteries for electric car, fuel cells and printed circuit boards (PCB).
    Some video links that are related to these issues:
    Fuel Cell Manufacturing Plant
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhrcHO_qw80
    FlexPicker Robots
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHuDvVa7mkw
    If you know about links videos or texts about automation systems or machines that produce these products, I will glad if you can write them in this thread.
    I search any connections that can be between machines and automation systems like there are in the video, or that produce the products that I mention above, and several engineering issues.
    Could you be slightly more specific where you are coming from (background) and what kind of information you would like in order to do what? What you are referring to above, I personally would call industrial robot production and assembly through automation. Bridges that open and close automatically are also an automation systems.

If you are interested in the FlexPicker, you might like to know that there is a whole 3D printer community (or part of it) that uses this type of robot for faster 3D printing versus the more traditional xyz cartesian type of CNC "robot" system. Try searching Rostock, Spiderbot, Deltamaker and add 3D printer to your search.

On with the Q&A.

I have several questions that are related to the control and electronics circuits of automation systems and machines. If you know any link that is related to these subjects so I will glad if you can write them in this thread.

1. I know that they use controllers like in this link:
    http://www.boschrexroth-us.com/count.../pac/index.jsp
    1.A. What functions \ requirements the controllers that can be used for applications likes these automation systems and machines need to have?
    Industrial grade PLC, soft-plc or embedded software computer usually separate themselves in operational reliability and up time, supplier support and additional custom development possibilities. Take for example and Arduino, its a microcontroller that can do a lot of things but doesn't have an IP 67 rating so it would require a proper enclosure in dusty/high humidity environments. It wouldn't be my first choice for a robot I send in to space either... Although that would be cool. It is up to the designer of such a system to come up with the requirements and functions based on the design and project delivery. How many I/O do you need? How much processor power? Etc....

1.B. I see that the controllers have option to connect to the internet. What can be the applications \ advantages these automation systems and machines can use the internet? 1.C. What communication technology can be use between the different kinds of the controllers in these automation systems and machines?
    Global remote support for one. If a company with a service contract has to provide "within an hour" response you can have someone on the other side of the world checking things quickly.

Local communication (robot with robot or robots with system overview controller system), industrial standards are CAN (multiple variants) and Ethernet, try wikipedia.

2.A. I know that there are some standards in motion control hardware, I want to know what are these standard? And how is the organization that is responsible for these standards?
    2.B. I search after information and links that have projects that involve control motion for leaser cutting
    2.C. What are the control motions that maybe can be use in these automation system and machines?
    3.A. What kinds of electronic circuits these automation systems and machines can have? Are these circuit are analogue electronics circuits or digital electronics circuits or both? And why?
    3.B. Are these automation systems and machines have power electronics like switches converters? And why these automation systems and machines have or don't have these technologies?
    3.C. What is driver? What the drivers do?
    Try searching the internet for some ABB industrial robot manuals, I have seen ones for service, electrical and software engineers. I think some old ones are "out there somewhere".

4. I am interesting to read links about researches that are doing in the universities labs about the control of these automation systems and machines.
    There are tons of master / phd thesis papers on robotic control. However they are usually hard to read and use practically. If you have one nearby, try a technical university library. Or ask more specific questions here. Most control aspects involve a proper robotic model and the right controller design given the right instructions and sensor feedback.

You can also start working in this industry and learn the ropes first hand, if that is a possibility for you.

Cheers!
    Last edited by CasperH; 04-02-2013 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Added 3D printer reference, fixed typos.

3. Re: Control and electronics circuits in automation systems

Hi CasperH, Thank you or your excellent answer, I very love to read it, and it help me a lot, about question number 4, I talk about articles that publish in the websites of newspaper for all kinds of people that love to read about science and technology and these articles describe about what some groups in the universities are research in very easy way and in a short way, so I am interesting to know about these articles that are related to the topics that I wrote in this thread.
    Hi to all the members forum, despite I receive an excellent answer, I will glad to receive more replays that cover others areas in these topics.

Re: Control and electronics circuits in automation systems

If you are looking for more news paper/blog articles try:

http://makezine.com/
    http://www.servomagazine.com/
    http://www.botmag.com/

They have regular "news" updates. More general ones like Engadget also feature robots sometimes.

In addition to those I read the NWT but its a Dutch nature science and technology magazine.

For exhibition and conference specific for suppliers and university research you are gonna love this website:

http://www.expo21xx.com/automation21xx/default.htm

Or you could visit one of the physical ones that are held a few times per year.
    Last edited by CasperH; 04-03-2013 at 09:38 AM. Reason: added expo 21xx

Thread Information