Thread: CM-700 with Matlab

1. CM-700 with Matlab

Hi all!
    I am using CM-700 for my humanoid project, there is no problem with roboplus, but I want to use it with Matlab to implement my kinematics solution and couldn't find anything about it. Is there anyone can help me?
    Thanks!

Images

Re: CM-700 with Matlab

To use Matlab, the bot will have to be constantly connected to the CM-700 either by the LN-101 or by a ZIG/BT-110. RoboPlus creates motion files using the pc interface, but they are run by the firmware on the CM-700. Matlab has no equivalent for the ATmega2561 microcontroller in the CM-700.

If you want to keep everything on the CM-700, then you could try programming your IK/FK engine in C/C++ and upload that to the CM-700 (WinAVR or just plain avr-gcc). This is basically the same process as using NUKE with the arbotix or any other AVR based Arduino-type board.

If you want to use only Matlab, then a USB2Dynamixel and the Matlab windows/linux dynamixel libraries would probably be a better choice as you would not have to program the CM-700 to pass commands between the PC and servos. This would again require the servos to always be connected to the USB2Dynamixel and PC.

EDIT: Normally I would include links to the relevant Robotis support site articles, but all Robotis websites appear to be having lots of trouble the last day or so.
    Last edited by tician; 04-11-2013 at 06:06 AM.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    [git][mech][hack]
    gives free advice only on public threads

3. Re: CM-700 with Matlab

Thanks for your answer. I have LN-101, too, I can use Roboplus. I want to use CM-700 only as a serial transmitter, in Matlab my code will find the solution and for example the position values will be sent to motors. I think USB2Dynamixel gives this chance but our distributor has confirmed that I can use CM-700 as I've planned so we have bought CM-700. I think if there can be a chance to reach adresses on CM-700, that can be used as serial transmitter.

Images

Re: CM-700 with Matlab

RoboPlus Task programs are not well suited to receiving or transmitting large amounts of information between the CM-700 and a PC.

I suspect there is a way for the default firmware on the CM-700 to act as a pass-through for dynamixel packets, but I do not remember precisely what it involves. A more complicated approach would be to use the embedded-c examples from the Robotis support site to program the CM-700 to act as a pass-through for dynamixel packets created by the dynamixel library imported into Matlab. A very complicated approach would be to use embedded-c to program the CM-700 to create the dynamixel packets itself when it receives a custom packet from the matlab program (involves only simple serial port communication and not the pc-based dynamixel library imported into Matlab).
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    [git][mech][hack]
    gives free advice only on public threads

Thread Information