Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: MW 2013+ Ruleset Additions and Changes Discussion

Re: MW 2013+ Ruleset Additions and Changes Discussion

Quick question, is the plan to use the mech classes in the 1v1 tournament ('classic' MW)? Swapping scoring panels between competitions would be somewhat undesirable.

Images

Great discussion so far guys, keep it coming.

The target panel changes would be across leagues.

Totally agree that keeping things as simple as possible is the key here. I think the current plan is to create low profile platforms with integrated rfid readers, xbee, and an outer ring of LEDs for visual feedback. Each mech would simply have an rfid tag underneath.

These platforms can then double as 'flags', conquest control points, bases, etc. Tying everything together is a matter of software.

We also might be switching to digimesh protocol xbees. I'll get into this more after I do more testing.

you should be able to keep them to a height of about 2" max if you sandwich it right.

What about Bipeds?? Where are they going to have their RFID tags placed???

Images

Since tags are cheap, one in each foot plus one in the bottom of the body of all mechs?

Depending on components, I could see the platforms being 1/4"~1/2" max. For some reason I am thinking a circle or octagon ~10" in diameter with ~4 of the really cheap seeedstudio rfid scanners distributed in the base of the platform with a small 'flag' pole in the center where the Xbee, beacon controller, and some LEDs would be mounted about 10"~12" off the ground.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh

Images

Did we want to address Twitch-likes in the updated rules? I half suspect this is something that will be addressed in a later, more finalized rules thread.

If you look at HD-2, it also had static balance, rather than dynamic balance, while walking. While being taller and having even more intricate linkages than Twitch, it wasn't all that different in how it locomoted. So, if we allow HD-2, we also need to allow Twitch.

If we somehow think this is a problem, then the way to look at that is to compare center of gravity to area of static balance, and come up with some formula for what makes up a "biped" (unstable) vs "stable" (quad/twitch) robot.

Btw: Did you work out a solution for the bolts coming loose on the center servo?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    Btw: Did you work out a solution for the bolts coming loose on the center servo?
    Allow time for the locktite to set, obviously. :P

My real error was not tightening anything after I beat Ra. And I should have just covered the bolt heads in hot glue.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    From what I read: The scout/brawler/assault classes are for quads, and there's a separate biped class where the main restriction is "no more than 2 guns."
    TY jwatte - don't see the reference but I'll check other threads to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Stobs View Post
    TY jwatte - don't see the reference but I'll check other threads to be sure.
    Go to the first page of this post. Search for "Biped Class." Tada! :-)

A modified scoring system using the RFIDuino & antenna mounted underneath the mechs will be used in addition to the existing scoring system (unless I work some magic with the existing firmware and can easily switch between game modes).
    While this would be a good short term solution, I think somewhere down the road it would be good to make a chip that integrates RFID, scoring panels, and feedback for the operator: 'disabled' state, hits & location like the current chip. Possibly also current HP, and gamemode feedback (which team controls the capture points / HP of BattleCry objective / which team controls the flag).

In addition, with 6 (or even 8) mechs on the field at once, 5.8GHz analog (or something other than b/g wifi) cameras are going to be a must. Even with low 2.4GHz interference, streaming that many video feeds over wifi would not work out (just guessing). Also, aforementioned scoring feedback could be implemented with ethernet on the router.

I don't know much about RFID setups, but could it simplify things to have an RFID reader on the mechs that would relay position through the scoring transponder? I'm probably completely off here, just thought I'd add that in.

I also think different building layouts should be tested, a 3 by 3 grid is a good starting point but other layouts could provide more interesting scenarios.
    Last edited by Deimos; 04-27-2013 at 10:41 PM.

Thread Information