Trossen XBee  Top Banner
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Mech Warfare competitor, Pics and Stuff

1. New Mech Warfare competitor, Pics and Stuff

So now that MW is coming to Chicago in 2014 I've decided to compete. I actually only live about 15 miles from Trossen HQ (creeper). I've been working on a Quad project for a while now and I'll be looking to modify it for competition.

Here's the bot at the moment.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20121108_201428_HDR.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	4642
    You can see more pics of it's evolution and the manufacturing process here http://www.flickr.com/photos/marcbot...7631912836115/ For MW I'll be removing the tracks. Here's the leg concept.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new leg concept.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	4643
    I'll also be changing the color scheme, bright white doesn't seem to be too mechish.

Hey, how about a youtube vid for good measure:

I'll post updates of my progress, and I look forward to seeing you guys in Chicago in 2014.

-Marc

Images

Re: New Mech Warfare competitor, Pics and Stuff

That's a nice piece of work!

Just in case you hadn't considered it, I'm sure you can leave the treads on for your mech, and just not use them during matches. Definitely looks good! But of course, weight is often an issue...

Or you might be able to use the treads. Jwatte at one point mused about a quadcopter mech, and Tybs told him, only if it has working legs.

What servos are you using??

4. Trossen Distance Sensor  Thread Banner
  5. Re: New Mech Warfare competitor, Pics and Stuff

Thanks, Gertlex. I considered leaving them. The weight of them doesn't concern me since the servos don't have to do a lot of work to support them. Their weight is really only a factor while lifting the leg, which I guess could affect battery life.

And Ardutank, I guess I'll wait to hear Tyberius' opinion on whether or not they can be used. Or if there might be special restriction that apply.

All the servos are hitek HS-5685s so I can use 2 cell lipos. I really wish I would have known about dynamixels before I bought them.

Lol. I'm using HS-311s in M-O

Ask Tybs. He might let you keep the treads.

Tyberius, what's your opinion on the treads??

Images

Last I asked (about quadcopter propellers) the rule was that the robot has to walk using actuator driven legs for the full extent of the qualification. If you can qualify (walk the given distance and hit the given targets within the given time) then you are in.
    That being said, it might be possible to build a slower robot that qualifies (Twitch MX style, say) that becomes more nimble once it deploys wheels. Tachicoma style, say :-) That might fall under the "gimmick" clause in the rules.

Personally, I think the balance is pretty precarious and fuzzy. For example, if someone can actually pull off enough lift to turn propellers into jump jets, yet have a walking qualifying robot, that'd be freakin' awesome. Meanwhile, if someone builds a walking robot that turns into a rolling tank as soon as it competes, that's less awesome. I think that's just a personal preference, though. The safest might be to say that the robot must be walking for all locomotion during an event.

8. Re: New Mech Warfare competitor, Pics and Stuff

The tracks are definitely gimmicky.

Yeah, I see that now.

Jwatte, for the thrust, look to EDF units. they can put out a LOT of thrust with minimal weight if you do it right. Part of it is, the duct around the impeller reduces the tip vortex of the airfoil on the blades, thus increasing airflow.

Quote Originally Posted by ArduTank View Post
    Yeah, I see that now.

Jwatte, for the thrust, look to EDF units. they can put out a LOT of thrust with minimal weight if you do it right. Part of it is, the duct around the impeller reduces the tip vortex of the airfoil on the blades, thus increasing airflow.
    This is actually completely false. EDF units are poor generators of static thrust. Dynamic thrust yes, but quadrotors need static thrust. The models that EDF's are designed for have low stall speeds and are generally catapult or at least thrown to launch. This is because of the poor static thrust these units provide. Many have tried to make quadrotors with these, and the performance has been "poor" at best.
    You can add a duct to a propellor (generally the lower pitch the better) and this will help, but the EDF units are a bad choice.

Escott, I work with RC airplanes, and EDF units are not that bad at static thrust. I had an RC jet that would take off from a stand still with 2 EDF units with 1/2" props in them. And it weighed about 1/2 Lb.

You could get a 3 pound robot off the ground with 4 2" EDF units, just as long as you fed them enough juice and used the right motor.

Thread Information