Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Premium weight capacity

Re: Premium weight capacity

I like challenging. I prefer it. When something is too easy I don't enjoy it and I quickly lose interest. The Bioloid Premium has a 2 axis gyro to help with balance. My hexacopter uses a 3 axis gyro to help with flight stabilization.

I found a Bioloid Premium repository at Rutgers University. I love user manuals and I usually learn how to do things before I even get my hands on it.

Images

I have an octo-copter myself. fun stuff.
    Last edited by KevinO; 05-06-2013 at 05:52 PM.

I think I may have come up with a reasonable improved plan. I went through the Type A assembly manual to figure out exactly which and how many parts are needed from the Comprehensive Frame Kit plus the other parts needed from the Premium Kit. There are plenty of leftover parts so I only need to get one of the Comp. Kits. The cost of buying all individual frame parts plus cables and hardware adds up to be more than the Comp. Frame Kit.

Part F60, the butt flap, only comes with a battery. It isn’t a structural part of the torso but I want the butt flap anyways. I won’t be assembling this exactly like the type A torso. I am going to make the torso just a little wider and a bit taller. I am still hoping to be able to fit my 3S 4,000Mah batteries on this bot. They are twice as long and three times as heavy as the Robotis battery. If it doesn’t work I will have the stock battery to work with.

I am going to go with twelve of the AX-18A and eight of the AX-12A servos. I’ll use all twelve of the 18’s in the legs to start out with and use the Present Load and Temperature features to determine which two have the lowest loads and temps in the legs while going through strenuous movements. I might replace those two 18’s with 12’s and use the two 18’s in the shoulders. Now this is making me ponder how having two slower servos in the legs will affect movements when the rest of the servos in the legs will be considerably faster. This adds $270.00 to my budget.

This is the list I have so far. I have left off the skin and head. I doubt the chest would fit if I expand the torso in the way that I am thinking. The AX-S1 sensor module can be the head while giving me the IR receiver for the remote. I couldn’t find the regular Robotis IR receiver anywhere. I hadn’t planned on getting the DMS but the AX-S1 has it anyway in addition to a mic and a musical buzzer. I chose the AX-S1 over getting the Zigbee 110 set. The AX-S1 is five bucks cheaper while adding a few more features.

Faster/Stronger legs w/hands & 1 comprehensive frame kit
    2 AX-18A six pack (legs)
    1 AX-12A six pack (arms)
    2 AX-12A (grippers)
    1 Comprehensive Frame Kit
    1 Bioloid Premium Frame FP04 F51/F52 Torso Set
    1 CM-530 Robotis Servo Controller
    1 GS-12 2-Axis Gyro Sensor
    1 RC-100 Bioloid Boomerang
    1 Dynamixel Sensor Module AX-S1
    1 Bioloid Frame FP04 F53 4-Pack
    1 Bioloid Frame FP04 F54 4-Pack
    1 Bioloid Frame FP04 F55 Cable Holder 20-Pack
    1 LBS-10 11.1v Bioloid Premium Lipo Battery

I appreciate the input from you guys. Seeing the amount of talent and skill sets in this forum kind of makes me feel like a complete idiot. Some of the projects here are mind blowing.

Images

Just a few thoughts as you get into this...The AX-12 based bioloid has a very low payload capacity. In addition to the robot you can't really add that much stuff and have the robot still walk around. Moving up to AX-18 servos in the legs probably won't give you the payoff you are looking for. AX-18s are faster, but not much stronger, and they overheat (go into thermal shutdown) pretty quickly. Going with a biped adds to the difficulty. You may want to consider going with MX-28s in the legs. I know this significantly increases the costs, but it will also increase the likelihood of successfully completing the project without waisting money on servos that you can't really use. You can also look to lower the degrees of freedom in your legs. Hope this helps. DB

... and if you go with MX-28, then the step up to MX-64 is only 20% in cost, with a 100% increase in performance, so really, that's the better deal ...
    (That way lies a big Visa bill ;-)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    ... and if you go with MX-28, then the step up to MX-64 is only 20% in cost, with a 100% increase in performance, so really, that's the better deal ...
    (That way lies a big Visa bill ;-)
    Yep. It's hard to justify MX-28s unless it's a weight/space issue. MX-64s are amazing actuators for their cost.

Images

Best of luck with your project, Franke! If you're not getting a a kit, you will also need an appropriate battery charger (if you don't have one) and a USB-to-dynamixel to assign servo ID's.

...for what it's worth: I had the Bioloid Premium as my first robotics project, and it was great for getting a humanoid robot walking extremely quickly. Personally I'd recommend getting the kit, building one of the "stock" humanoid configurations, and then modifying/expanding from there. However, instant gratification may be less important for you than it was for me

I already have a decent 400w balanced charger and power supply for charging my 3S and 4S Lipos.

I'll be using the CM-530 controller and RoboPlus Manager to set the ID's one at a time before I put everything together.

Images

Oops, forgot you can set dynamixel ID's from the CM-530!

One other useful piece is the 12V/5A power supply. This can be plugged into the CM-510/530 so you don't have to rely on battery while working on poses. (It's also used with the Robotis battery charger.) The power supply from Robotis is about $30, but you could probably scavenge or buy another brand if you can match the jack size.

Thread Information