Thread: Mech Warfare Wikia

Images

Mech Warfare Wikia

Hey guys,

Just started work on the Mech Warfare Wikia. I haven't fully figured out the permissions setup on it, but eventually I'd like veterans to have build articles on there where they can share what they feel like sharing with the community. I will most likely keep it restricted to Mech Warfare related people for editing rights. Please make an account and let me know the name of it via PM or here, and I'll get you added. It may very well be open right now for the time being until I get stuff 100% figured out.

It'll also be a central information index for competitors, rulesets, arena specifications, etc. Discussion will stay here, but I want the result of such discussions (ie: Ruleset) to be kept on the Wikia.

Very much so a WIP at the moment, but I would love assistance in fleshing things out.

If you have suggestions for main categories or additional topics, please let me know. I plan on having our 1st, 2nd, 3rd winners of each year listed too.

http://mech-warfare.wikia.com
    Last edited by DresnerRobotics; 05-07-2013 at 08:50 PM.

2. Re: Mech Warfare Wikia

Awesome idea!

Just a question relative to the goals of this platform: from what you said, it seems to me thayou are trying to build a reference for MW. From the organizer's point of view (with rules, results, "dry" information.).

Would it be also possible to use it to have some kind of updated "getting started" information, with info on what hardware has been tested for video, gearboxes, servos, leg design, ... Stuff that new teams could use to avoid some pitfalls that veterans learned the hard way (and that the adventurous could expend).
    For example, i'm looking into the video streaming stuff right now and wouldn't mind a centralized information source with everything that has already been tested and said in the forums...
    ---
    Personal blog: http://xevel.org
    USB2AX documentation: http://xevelabs.com

Images

Re: Mech Warfare Wikia

It's my intention to have both. The 'official pages' like Ruleset drafts and Arena/infrastructure specifications are going to be locked down pretty heavily. I fully intended to have the rest user driven, but given that this is a very specific wiki with a very specific audience, I'll likely keep the approved users list somewhat controlled. We don't need random people contributing because it'd likely not be very helpful- I have the feeling that those who can truly contribute are going to be those who have built mechs and/or competed.

There's a whole lot of arm chair mechwarrioring that goes on in this forum, and while that's not necessarily a bad thing- as new ideas are always welcome, theory and speculation has no place in the Wiki.

Images

I keep HTML/CSS pages on Numa/Twitch/TwitchMX(forthcoming). Anyone know any good tools for HTML->Wikia conversion? (I'm lazy)... as I look more, it doesn't look like to much trouble though.

This is pretty timely, too, as my current university free page hosting will disappear in a couple of months

Also something I think every mech page should have is a "Postmortem" section discussing shortcomings.

Images

Nice work Gertlex, agreed on the postmortem!

I see jwatte and Gertlex have submitted articles, if you guys just want to submit content I can handle trying to organize it into categories until we get a better and more defined structure. I added "Mech Tech and Builds" category under Builds Articles that I'll throw these into for now.

I'm little disappointed being forced to look at so many random ads all over that wiki page. Can't it be hosted at trossen nice and clean like this forum? (I'm ok with trossen ads

I also have pretty much unlimited capacity on my personal hosting account, and don't need any ads at all, if we want to go that way. We wouldn't have any limitations on picture sizes or such (hint, hint :-) Then again, it is shared webhosting, so not the beefiest server from a CPU/RAM point of view.

Images

I'm all up for suggestions on a better host. I picked wikia because the interface is solid and it's free. If someone has a better solution for us I'm all ears, and now in it's early stages would be the time to transfer it.

Also, hate to say it but you can install an Adblock add-on legally and avoid ads all together.
    Last edited by DresnerRobotics; 05-08-2013 at 07:55 PM.

9. Re: Mech Warfare Wikia

I think a page with list of mechs in a format like

[mechname] {[type] [designer] [completed/scrapped] [years competed] [MW wiki link] [TRC link] ...}

would be useful.

I use mech names to direct my searchs on the forums (and elsewhere; youtube, etc). I've actually got an "existing_projects" folder in my robotics folder on my harddrive with subfolders for each mech containing pictures, video, spec document, link to forum thread, etc. (assuming there are any to be found and that I cared to add the info) I've paid more attention to some mechs than others, so the files are anything but comprehensive.

I like to have as many successful and failed designs to reference as possible to get a feel for what might work and what won't. Obviously veterans have most of this knowledge in their heads already, but for beginners (like me) it's nice to be able to compare and contrast. A centralized index of just the names (with links to both their wiki page and forum thread if they have them) would be very useful for researching purposes and fairly low maintenance.

Thread Information