Thread: Stock vs. Phoenix code?

Images

Stock vs. Phoenix code?

Hello all,

I've made the (financial) leap and currently have a Phantom X hex on the way!

One of the things i've been reading up on is that people like to run the Phoenix code on the hex/quad, but I can't find exactly why or what the differences are. What does Phoenix do better and why? Does it add any more functionality? Where does the Phoenix code come from? Which would be simpler or more clear for someone who wants to use it as a platform for modifying and add features, etc.

I plan to build and run the stock software first. Then when I'll try out the Phoenix afterwards to see for myself. I guess I'm anxious and curious and maybe this thread will help others doing research later.

Thanks!

Images

Re: Stock vs. Phoenix code?

Your instincts are correct. Stick with the stock code for now. Tyberius maintains that and probably can help you better if you run into problems. Kurt here on the forums maintains the Phoenix code. You can get it on his github. Honestly they both have nice gaits, Phoenix has smooth body FK, a balance mode (which gives you a sort of realistic body position when the legs are lifted) and single leg control. All three of those feature are what I would call showboating but there are people who dig that kind of stuff. Though Zenta, Xan and Kurt did a great job on those features so at some time you should check them out.

Kurt will probably chime in. I'm sure I missed something while listing the differences.

Kurts github: https://github.com/KurtE/Arduino_Phoenix_Parts

Here are a couple of videos KingPin did of the the Phoenix code on his MKII hex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CSmeNPGYng

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIoLjFOycUE
    Last edited by KevinO; 05-08-2013 at 12:43 PM.

Congrats, it is a lot of fun!

The nice thing about about these level of robots and controllers, is that there is a lot of freedom to try out several different sets of control programs and see what works out best for you.

When I purchased my PhaontomX there was only the official code base, which worked fine, moved very quickly, which was great for things like Mechwar type uses, but IMHO did not have the more fluid moves of the original Phoenix built by Kåre Halvorsen (Zenta).

He create a lot of the original gaits and the like with his Excel Spreadsheet (PEP) and turned into a kit by Lynxmotion. The original software for the Lynxmotion Phoenix was developed by Jeroen Janssen (Xan) for the Basic Atom Pro 28 and an SSC-32 servo controller. This code base went through several improvements and was also adapted (by myself) to run on the Basic Micro Arc32. Later I ported this code to C (That at first ran on the BAP28 and Arc32) and later ported to the Arduino environment. The later version of the Basic code base was split up into pluggable parts, One for the main code, one for the Servo Controller and anther for the Input Devices. This split was continued into the Arduino version. This version was adapted by myself and Zenta to run on the PhantomX.

Hope the helps.
    Kurt

Images

Thanks guys, very helpful. I'll ask more questions I'm sure as i dig into things.

Images

I see lots of different code builds in the repository. Which should i run for a stock MarkII hex?

Thanks!

Images

You mean Kurt's github? Since this is your first jump in I'd still recommend going with Trossen's linked off their product page to start. At least then you will know if it all works correctly. Kurt doesn't have a MKII so he doesn't have a CFG for it to use with the Phoenix software which means you would have to make your own.

But to directly answer your question it's this one. https://github.com/KurtE/Arduino_Phoenix_Parts
    Last edited by KevinO; 05-15-2013 at 11:39 AM. Reason: spelling

Images

I'll definitely run the stock code first. I hope to get it running this evening. I've been studying the code for the past week or so and have a pretty good understand of how it all works. Once I see it it action I'll probably get curious about the Phoenix code and how it all works for my next learning adventure.

I'm after the code Kingpin has on his MKII. I thought it was as-provided, but i guess he custom modified it for his Mark II? If that's the case then I'll definitely need to study up on the Phoenix code before i load it. I assume its just a matter of changing the physical diminesions of the bot, though, right? I'll have to dig deeper to see if any servos are oriented differently as well.

But first things first, i hope to see some signes of hexapod life soon! What a long work day...

Images

It's alive! All systems go with the stock code. It's pretty cool. Man can this thing bang on the floor.

This software is a little rough. I'd love to run the Phoenix code in the videos above. I got his code to compile, etc. I checked that the servo IDs, body part lengths and positions match the MKI it seems. The servo min/max ranges are different though so i won't run anything until i gather more info and determine if its safe.

Thread Information