Thread: KUKA Kr3 and ROS

1. KUKA Kr3 and ROS

How can i control a KUKA kr3 robot arm with ROS?
    Last edited by curka; 05-14-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Images

Re: KUKA Kr3 and ROS

Have you created a URDF file of your arm?

3. Re: KUKA Kr3 and ROS

Quote Originally Posted by KevinO View Post
    Have you created a URDF file of your arm?
    No i haven't.
    I'm new here and i need a complete tutorial, step by step.

Can you help me?

Images

I suggest you start with the ROS tutorials and understand it from the beginning. The "locals" here are always willing to help out, collaborate and share code but we all have our own projects and a step by step for your personal project isn't something we usually have the additional time for. There are a couple of people here that use ROS but you will need to step up and learn the system as well.

http://www.ros.org/wiki/ROS/Tutorials
    Last edited by KevinO; 05-15-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Images

10,000 ft overview:
    1. Read the ROS tutorials as suggested, be sure you understand what nodes are, how they communicate over topics, etc.
    2. Create a URDF -- this an XML specification of your robot's joints and links. Test it with the joint_state_publisher GUI and RVIZ.
    3. Find and/or create a hardware driver to convert a standard topic into actual robot movement -- every robot vendor has a different control scheme/protocol and so it will be pretty specific to your robot -- but at the end of the day, you want to be able to accept a "control_msgs/FollowJointTrajectoryAction" message/action request (if this makes no sense to you, go back to step 1). The ROS aspects here are pretty simple -- the actual hardware control may be a nightmare, based on what I've seen with typical industrial robots. You might take a look at the ROS Industrial group and see what they have.
    4. Check out software like MoveIt for actual path planning -- once you have a URDF and an JointTrajectory action, setup of MoveIt is pretty much automatic through a GUI-based wizard.
    -Fergs

Jyothi Guest

Hello,

I am glad that, there is a post existing on what I am looking for. As a part of my master thesis, I am trying to control KUKA robot using ROS. that would be really helpful, if someone could answer. I have following questions:

1. Does all kuka robot, controller be compatible with ROS.
    2. What are the specifications of robot or controller, I have to look for, inorder to get started with ROS.

If someone has, Please attach a paper or some material which would be helpful.

Thanks!
    Jyothi

As a part of my master thesis, I am trying to control KUKA robot using ROS.
    As part of a master's thesis, you're supposed to be able to figure this out on your own, rather than ask for help.
    Once you've graduated, and are working for an employer, that employer will expect a Master's graducate to be self-sufficient and know how to figure these things out.
    This probably requires significant work on your part:
    - Call manufacturers to talk to support engineers
    - Chase down documentation that can be hard to find
    - Read that documentation, and then perhaps realize that it wasn't what you wanted
    - Use measurement instruments to confirm your hypothesis about how things work before you start changing them
    - Write, debug, test, and iterate on actual code

Saying that "you need a step by step tutorial" makes me believe that you are not ready for a Master's thesis, much less for the demands of actual employment. (That's why they call it "a job" and have to pay you to do it :-)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    Saying that "you need a step by step tutorial" makes me believe that you are not ready for a Master's thesis, much less for the demands of actual employment. (That's why they call it "a job" and have to pay you to do it :-)
    The 'step by step' bit was from curka, not Jyothi. One spammed about ROS (and wasting computing power on 'prettying up' simulations) without spending any time actually reading the ROS wiki docs/tutorials they linked to in their own posts; the other is a master's student that did not do much searching of the ROS wiki or ROS Answers or google scholar before asking on a long dead thread in a not particularly active sub-forum for help.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    [git][mech][hack]
    gives free advice only on public threads

Thread Information