Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attempting to set up Pypose for a Quad

1. Attempting to set up Pypose for a Quad

Hi All

I have been lurking on this forum for quite a while and have purchased a Bioloid Premium Kit + Arbotix robocontroller + commander and 2 xbees.

I am currently trying to setup Pypose and have gone through the following steps:
    1. Configured the Xbees
    2. Managed to get Pypose started (I had to delete the line self.SetBackgroundColour(wx.NullColor))
    3. Uploaded the latest version of pypose to the arbotix (This appears to be V 0013 even though the download zip states 0015)
    Current Phenomena:
    • Edit: I have also noticed that the ax12.h doesnt appear as orange when looking at the arduino sketch
    • I can test the servo's minima and maxima using the Nuke Editor
    • I cant seem to connect to the servo's using any of the other software functions including "Nuke" Capture Neutral or "Pose Editor" capture, i receive the following error in the python printout
    Oxff found
    Oxff found
    ID found: 1
    Length found: 2
    Error level found: 0
    Checksum found: 252
    Checksum computed: 255

Oxff found
    Oxff found
    ID found: 2
    Length found: 2
    Error level found: 0
    Checksum found: 251
    Checksum computed: 255

The pattern repeats of ID found going up and checksum found going down.

Where should I look next to troubleshoot my connection?

Thanks in advance
    Ken

Images

Re: Attempting to set up Pypose for a Quad

First, try creating a couple poses in pypose (you can also do this first.) Set the desired position of all of the servos, or come up with a test position. Then go ahead and test them. See if the troubled servo is moving properly or as expected. The servo horns rotate 360 degrees but only encode 300. If you are moving the servo beyond that 300 degrees then pypose can't read its position. This happens if a horn is not put on right, or if a bracket is not connected to the horn in the right direction.

While AX-12s are pretty robust servos they can have issues because of their smartness. I'm not sure exactly what is causing the problems you discribe, but I can suggest a few things you should check.

Second, remove the servo from the robot. Install roboplus on your computer, and then use the cm510 and dynamixel wizard to connect to the servo. You can check the servo and possibly update or restore the firmware. You will have to reset the servo ID to the desired one.

Third, carefully check all of the wires on the leg with the bad servo. Sometimes the wires can get pinched and then they cause trouble. Replace any wires that look at all suspect.

Hopefully this helps.

DB

Images

I have also noticed that the ax12.h doesnt appear as orange when looking at the arduino sketch
    I believe this is because it's not a listed keyword, as the "BioloidController" is the parent library.

Are you able to set positions at all? How does it behave with only one servo hooked up?

Strange you had to modify the code. I literally just did a fresh grab of pypose 2 weeks ago and had no problems getting it working.

4. Re: Attempting to set up Pypose for a Quad

Thank you Tyberius and Darkback for the help, I worked out my problem. It turns out you need to select the pose and then click capture for the software to read the servo position.

I was just running PyPose with 12 servo's then clicking capture and nothing seemed to be happening.

The next step is to get this abomination walking, which should hopefully be soon.

As for editing the code to the software I am running a 3yr old PC on Windows 7, the OS may not be playing nice with your code. If there is anything I can send through to help with diagnosis let me know.

Edit: I have moved further through the process and I am currently trying to test the walking system.

When I click Set/Test Signs: GO I have the following error

File "Tools\NukeEditor.py", line 325, in doSignTest
    AttributeError: 'NukeEditor' object has no attribute 'loadModel'

How should I proceed here? Try and find a new PC to install PyPose on?
    Last edited by Kenvs; 05-25-2013 at 02:21 AM.

Images

Glad to see you figured it out. Sorry we couldn't be of more help to you.

DB

Quote Originally Posted by Kenvs View Post
    Thank you Tyberius and Darkback for the help, I worked out my problem. It turns out you need to select the pose and then click capture for the software to read the servo position.

I was just running PyPose with 12 servo's then clicking capture and nothing seemed to be happening.

The next step is to get this abomination walking, which should hopefully be soon.

As for editing the code to the software I am running a 3yr old PC on Windows 7, the OS may not be playing nice with your code. If there is anything I can send through to help with diagnosis let me know.

Edit: I have moved further through the process and I am currently trying to test the walking system.

When I click Set/Test Signs: GO I have the following error

File "Tools\NukeEditor.py", line 325, in doSignTest
    AttributeError: 'NukeEditor' object has no attribute 'loadModel'

How should I proceed here? Try and find a new PC to install PyPose on?
    I know this doesn't make it any better, but I am getting the same error. I get it in both Win 7 and under OSX 10.8.3. Still trying to work out the cause of it.

Images

There was a bug in sign test -- which I believe I just fixed. Please download the latest code at http://github.com/vanadiumlabs/pypose/zipball/master and give it a try.

Sorry for the problems, with the release of the Hexapod and Quad kits from TR, there havent' been many uses of NUKE lately.

-Fergs

8. Re: Attempting to set up Pypose for a Quad

Hi Fergs

I tried the latest version of PyPose and it connected to the robot and I could run the Set/Test Signs. Unfortunately the sign test seems to have the left and right confused, I have my servo's assigned as per the default program layout, when I run the program the following happens:

Did the RF leg move forward? Click No, (the LF leg moves backward)
    Did the LF leg move forward? Yes and the RF leg moved backward a tiny bit
    Did the RR leg move backward? No the LR leg moved backward]
    Did the LR leg move backward? No the LR leg moved forward then all the legs moved up a little
    Did the RF move upward? Yes (both L and R legs moved upward) some kick in the LR Tibia though

The tests continue but the system is moving the wrong legs, it appears that the software is assigning motions to the wrong leg at each step in the test.
    Your video on the google group suggests that my neutral pose isn't completely correct due to the kick in the RF leg when moving up.

Would you like me to try anything else to help diagnose the code?
    I will try to read it and edit myself however my background is not in coding so any fixes will take a while to come through.

Images

So...I am trying to do something nonconventional and failing misserably. I have a 24 servo 6 DOF per leg quad/humanoid hybrid. I am trying to use NUKE to make a 3 DOF walking gate for it. I've set the servo IDs so that nuke is only talking to the coxa, femur, and tibia of each leg and it should be ignoring the other 12 servos. The idea is to make a smooth quad walking gate. Where I seam to be running into trouble is with the max/mins, and the sign test. The max and min poses seam to work fine, and if I check the poses they are the max and min settings for the robot. The Sign test on the other hand doesn't seam to work at all. It asks if different servos have moved but nothing has moved at all. I can hear the servos trying to move if that makes any sense.

I figured I would just say yes to all of the sign test questions, check and see which servos were moving the wrong way, then go back and say no to those saying yes to everything else. So I turned on the robot and it twisted into a pretzel I plugged in one leg at a time and the front legs seam to go to about the right positions, but then don't move in the right directions. the robot basically walks as if the controller was being held sideways.

The back legs, the coxa servos are both well out of the range of the min/max poses. I have tried saying yes and no with these to no avail.

I know this isn't the optimal solution and the problems I am experienceing may very well be my own fault for thinking this is something that I can "trick" the robot into doing.

1) Is there anyway to hand edit these things?
    2) Any ideas as to what is wrong with NUKE?
    3) Is it me?

DB

This is probably not the answer you're looking for, but perhaps it's worth it jumping in the deep end to hammer out your own IK?

Thread Information