Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uploading the Hex_Mark II -- PhantomX robot

Images

Re: Uploading the Hex_Mark II -- PhantomX robot

You might also have to pair your Xbees. Mine didn't come paired.

The hex won't move (not even stand up) until it receives messages from the Commander.

Images

Sorry if my post came off the wrong way. By hard I meant that you need to read the directions very carefully and follow every step. You also need to make sure you have installed all of your drivers properly and are using the correct settings for everything.

Glad to know you got sorted. Keep us posted on your progress and please share pictures and videos documenting your experience.

DB

Images

The kit manuals could use a lot more information and detail. There is a lot of terminology that doesn't make sense to someone new to these things. Before i bought this kit i had only developed on PICs using a programmer. I didn't know that Arduino had a boot loader and loaded over serial, didn't know what FTDI was, didn't know what an Xbee was and that its a serial connection, didn't know what an Xbee explorer was and it can be an FTDI interface, etc. I didn't immediately realize the Xbee port on the Arbotix is using the same uart that the programming interface does, etc. I figured it all out by searching the forums and internet.

I think a few block diagrams showing the physical interconnect options and a couple paragraphs explaining the background would go a long way.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
    The kit manuals could use a lot more information and detail. There is a lot of terminology that doesn't make sense to someone new to these things. Before i bought this kit i had only developed on PICs using a programmer. I didn't know that Arduino had a boot loader and loaded over serial, didn't know what FTDI was, didn't know what an Xbee was and that its a serial connection, didn't know what an Xbee explorer was and it can be an FTDI interface, etc. I didn't immediately realize the Xbee port on the Arbotix is using the same uart that the programming interface does, etc. I figured it all out by searching the forums and internet.

I think a few block diagrams showing the physical interconnect options and a couple paragraphs explaining the background would go a long way.
    Might make that a summer project.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by darkback2 View Post
    Sorry if my post came off the wrong way. By hard I meant that you need to read the directions very carefully and follow every step. You also need to make sure you have installed all of your drivers properly and are using the correct settings for everything.
    Haha, well this is robotics not interpretive dance. GOSH CHE. :P

6. Re: Uploading the Hex_Mark II -- PhantomX robot

Hello everyone,

Thank you for all of your help, you were correct, I learned how to upload things now! My biggest problem was that I was thinking that the Uartsbee was a programmer.... Derp :/ lol

I am now having trouble installing pyserial. I installed python 2.7.5 and the wxPython2.8-win64-unicode-py27. They both installed very easily and seem to be working but when I try to install the pyserial, it comes up with a message that says "No Python installation found in the registry". Any ideas what this means?

Also could I just quickly run through what I have done so far?

First, I uploaded the pypose.ino to the arbotix. It uploaded quick and easily (when I plugged this in, it looked as if the robot got into proper formation as if it was going to be standing up but I had it on its back)

Then I uploaded the Hexapod_Mark_II.ino to the arbotix.

Then I downloaded and installed python 2.7.5 and wxpython2.8-win64-unicode-py27 (and had trouble downloading pyserial)

Then I tried to open the pypose.py file but it will not open (I am assuming because the pyserial is not installed) (also, what do I do when I open this file? do I upload it to the robot?)

Then I uploaded the comander.ino sketch to the controller

Then I paired the Xbees (but I had a question, what exactly needs to be paired between the two xbees? Do they need to be 38400?)

What is my next step? I am a bit confused.

I appreciate all of your help.

Thank you,
    -Anthony

Images

I'd google around for help with Python. I'm sure its a common problem.

The linked Xbee tutorial has all the info you need on that topic:
    http://forums.trossenrobotics.com/tu...-basics-3259/?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by att5091 View Post
    Hello everyone,

Thank you for all of your help, you were correct, I learned how to upload things now! My biggest problem was that I was thinking that the Uartsbee was a programmer.... Derp :/ lol

I am now having trouble installing pyserial. I installed python 2.7.5 and the wxPython2.8-win64-unicode-py27. They both installed very easily and seem to be working but when I try to install the pyserial, it comes up with a message that says "No Python installation found in the registry". Any ideas what this means?

Also could I just quickly run through what I have done so far?

First, I uploaded the pypose.ino to the arbotix. It uploaded quick and easily (when I plugged this in, it looked as if the robot got into proper formation as if it was going to be standing up but I had it on its back)

Then I uploaded the Hexapod_Mark_II.ino to the arbotix.

Then I downloaded and installed python 2.7.5 and wxpython2.8-win64-unicode-py27 (and had trouble downloading pyserial)

Then I tried to open the pypose.py file but it will not open (I am assuming because the pyserial is not installed) (also, what do I do when I open this file? do I upload it to the robot?)

Then I uploaded the comander.ino sketch to the controller

Then I paired the Xbees (but I had a question, what exactly needs to be paired between the two xbees? Do they need to be 38400?)

What is my next step? I am a bit confused.

I appreciate all of your help.

Thank you,
    -Anthony
    Sometimes Python has trouble working well with Windows. I think you HAVE to use 2.6 Python w/ 2.5/2.6 pySerial to get Pypose to work.

But this leads me to my next question: Why are you even needing Pypose? It's not required to get your hexapod working as we've already run pypose and exported a sketch, then optimized that sketch specifically for the robot. By all means, play with Pypose and try your own NUKE export, but I don't want you confused thinking it's a necessary step. You'll notice it is not listed in the Quick Start guide that I recommended you read through.

I'm working on some updated guides with step-by-step instructions for people to try to spell things out a bit clearer. The basic process is this though:

1) Build Hexapod with correct servo ID placement/orientation.
    2) Setup Arduino IDE based on Arbotix documentation. Upload example Hexapod MK2 program found on product page.
    3) Pair Xbees using instructions in linked tutorial, install Xbee in Arbotix and Commander.
    4) Charge batteries.
    5) Have fun!

Again, please read through the documentation. Many of the questions you're asking make it seem like you've failed to do this. Nowhere in the documentation does it say you need to install Pypose to get your hexapod working. You CAN go through pypose and make your own NUKE sketch, but we've already done all that work and optimized the gaits that are exported.
    Last edited by DresnerRobotics; 06-13-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Images

I started a blog about my hex project and included some instructions on getting things going. You can check it out here: http://www.dandurusky.com/?p=27

Thread Information