Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PhantomX Frame Plastic

Images

Re: PhantomX Frame Plastic

Thanks Escott! You have motivated me to check up on our lens cleaning...

All of the fumes produced during cutting are gone in seconds. However, the cut plastic continues to stink for awhile, so the 10min avoids the worst of it.

FWIW, "P95" is the finish, matte on one side and glossy on the other. "-G" is the part that says it's better than plain Acrylic.

Regarding cutting ABS (or polycarb) on the lasers: I'd get kicked out of my membership if I tried that on any real scale.
    I know that ABS routes pretty nicely on a ShopBot, though, so if I can live with 1/8" bit curves in corners, it works great!
    The black ABS from TAP plastics also is glossy on one side and pretty coarsely pebbly on the other -- think cheap car dashboards from 20 years go.

Images

Interesting discussion. Never really considered the issues of laser-cutting ABS much, since other members were doing it already. There's certainly examples of commercial laser-cutting of ABS, such as customlasercutting.com...whether it's a good idea in a DIY setting, maybe not. I'm hoping that regular optics cleaning is keeping the issues minimal for us

4. Re: PhantomX Frame Plastic

Yeah im not diying it.

Whatever material i buy its getting cut at a laser cutters or a company which can machine it

Hi,
    im not a very good fan of this new plexiglass used, is the second time I have to replace the BOTTOM and TOP plates of the phantomX .
    They are always cracked in similar areas, were the servos connect.
    The first time I have to remove a servo to repair some cracked gear, I noticed the cracks . I assumed that I tighten the screws to much, so I was very careful the second time.

A couple of days ago, I have to remove one servo again, and I can see the hairlines fracture everywhere.
    Im looking on make Carbon Fiber plates, not sure where yet, may be I will try this place http://www.protechcomposites.com/pages/Machining.html .

I asked Kyle/Rick in trossen about this, they are being VERY helpful with this, and I send them the pictures, to check on this.
    I hope I can get the CAD files for this plates, or anyone has any suggestion ?

Cheers
    Ezequiel

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130911_162846.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	5013Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130911_162903.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	5014Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130911_162919.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	5015Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PicsArt_1378930920691.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	5016Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PicsArt_1378930875262.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	5017
    Last edited by ezex; 09-12-2013 at 11:16 AM.

Images

The third and fourth pictures in your post show a somewhat reflective disk around the screw where the crack started. Did you use a chemical thread locker, or was that caused by the movement of the screw head polishing the material?

I know that the styrene-rich brackets in the oldest Bioloid Premium Kits would crack horribly at almost all joints after exposure to threadlocker (242 liquid [anaerobic adhesive] or 248 stick [many solvents of styrene]), although the liquid killed it much quicker. I have seen some anecdotes that polycarbonate is also susceptible to anaerobic adhesives like the blue liquid (242) threadlocker, and that is supposed to be what gives this PMMA blend its durability.

If there is any threadlocker beyond the outer diameter of the screw threads at the tip of the screw, then there is likely too much. Just need a little bit on the threads at tip of the screw and it will be pushed up along the rest of the thread when screwing it into the nut.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh

7. Re: PhantomX Frame Plastic

Hi ezex!

I got the same issues with the new materials already while assembling the bot :-(. I did not tighten the screws to much it just seems to be tensions because of the drills and maybe bad positions of the servos nuts.

Anyway, since I'm in Germany it wouldn't make much sense to order new plates. I thought about carbon if it really brakes sometime in the future.

Regards,
    Alex

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tician View Post

If there is any threadlocker beyond the outer diameter of the screw threads at the tip of the screw, then there is likely too much. Just need a little bit on the threads at tip of the screw and it will be pushed up along the rest of the thread when screwing it into the nut.
    Bingo. This is the common answer when we have people with broken parts. For what it's worth, the newer kits have a plastic-safe threadlocker included.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tyberius View Post
    Bingo. This is the common answer when we have people with broken parts. For what it's worth, the newer kits have a plastic-safe threadlocker included.
    Plastic-safe threadlocker? Does such a thing really exist?
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tician View Post
    Plastic-safe threadlocker? Does such a thing really exist?
    It's closer to mild glue than threadlocker, but it works.

Thread Information