Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Charlotte 2.0 (Intel NUC) using a Trossen Edge Kit prototype

Re: Charlotte 2.0 (Intel NUC) using a Trossen Edge Kit prototype

Cheap video editing solutions are more trouble than they're worth IMO...
    You could subscribe to Adobe Creative Cloud for something like $20/month if you have a student in the family, or $50/month if you're full-price. This allows you to do all-you-can-eat Premiere. (And After Effects. And Photoshop. And a few others, too!)
    Or just download the trial version; I think you get to run it for 30 days before it stops working. Can't beat all the features, for free!

Images

IMovie does PnP for free if you have a Mac. Works really well.

Images

Quick update.

I've been working mostly on the vision and object recognition. The Intel NUC has proven to be a good move. I can now sample 60fps from the depth sensor which is great when Charlotte is moving. On the Raspberry Pi I was only around 15 fps and even then at 320x200. I have been able to track three targets as well as move around and I've barely hit 15% on any of the cores. Also since I have power management on usually the 4 cores are running at 866Mhz instead of the fuil 1.8 Ghz.

For fun last night I started implementing a actual pose read of me crossing my arms in an X. If it sees the pose for longer than three seconds it shutsdown the locomotion. Not sure if I'll keep it but it's fun to play around with different abilities.

Sounds like fun. Are you using some of the middleware libraries to do this? If so I wonder if those libraries are available for Arm linux...
    Most of the middleware stuff I have seen is specific to a PC (Windows and Ubuntu).

Images

Yes I am. I'm using their NiTE middleware. It is a great jumping off point since all the libraries are nice and neat. And yes it is only PC. Sorry. On the plus side I can use VNC with OpenGL on the Intel NUC so I am slowly porting all my heads up display to openGL calls.

Images

I've also got Adobe Premiere so my next video I will have the vision and such in the upper right hand corner so you can see what it sees. Should be fun.

Images

I must admit i'm getting a little frustrated working on the Pi with its speed and hardware restrictions. It'd be so nice to dev on a nice fast computer with basically no restrictions.

Was moving to eight legs necessary to support the weight of the NUC and battery?

Images

I'm surprised to hear you say that Dan. What are you doing that shows a speed issue?

Mine is on 4 legs, no weight issues. Granted they are MX28's but I can't see there being an issue with the hex.

Images

I guess its mostly the "locked up" GPU. Without hardware acceleration, X and GUIs are ridiculously slow. Forwarding X11 out to a remote server on my laptop has helped a lot, though. I pretty much have to use the Pi camera in order to use the GPU. Which is ok I guess but the cable is annoying me. I'm not sure if OpenCV has access to the Pi GPU or not.

I guess i need to define my goals. I'm pretty sure my goals are to work on terrain adaptation with a FPV camera. It'd also be cool to have the camera on a turret that can follow a target. The Pi can handle that i think so I guess I'm fine for awhile. The GPIOs on the Pi are handy as well.

I'm finding myself doing less work on the robot since the switch to Pi simply because working remotely in a sluggish environment is sort of a frustrating. I could probably solve the most of that if i brush off my old vi skills and just work in the console. Maybe i'll try that later.

Thread Information