Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Charlotte 2.0 (Intel NUC) using a Trossen Edge Kit prototype

Re: Charlotte 2.0 (Intel NUC) using a Trossen Edge Kit prototype

My vi/vim skills are rusty, but can get a few basic things done with it.

In addition to these, I use WinSCP to move files back and forth to the Pi, or B^3 or Odroid. You then can point the program to the remote directory you wish to work with and when you double click on a file, by default it brings up it's own gui editor on your PC. Or you can configure it to use a different editor. So most of the time I use Programmers Notepad (PN).

Kurt

Images

You don't have to work that way. Just share your project directory. Mount it on a normal PC or Mac and work on it form there. Use the terminal to compile and run. Stream the video to a web browser and you are good to go. Even using the Intel NUC the robot is on the other side of the room and I work on PC at my desk. I do sometimes VNC into the desktop but that is rare. That aside openCV does NOT at default use the GPU. The only GPU ability in openCV is with Nvidia GPU via CUDA. That is why openCV works on Raspi and BBB.

3. Re: Charlotte 2.0 (Intel NUC) using a Trossen Edge Kit prototype

I think I remember the creator of the hexapod Grinder (Psyclops here on the forum) uses Autohotkey and has a simple command that saves the file, sends it to the board (I don't remember if he cat's it through SSH or copy it with WinSCP or something else), runs the compiler and maybe even launches it. While you don't need to automate everything, this tool could help you continue to develop with your prefered environment while still having the code ultimately running on the board in a few key presses.

I personally use a mix of SVN or GIT and SCP to solve this problem, with the added bonus of version control.
    ---
    Personal blog: http://xevel.org
    USB2AX documentation: http://xevelabs.com

+1 for Git. You can have a Git repo wherever you have ssh access, too, as Git knows how to push/pull through SSH shell, and an empty directory with "git init --bare" is enough to get something to push to.

Images

I only use a git when I'm backing up the nights work and need a version recorded. Though it appears none of us actually try and work directly on the board usually. :P Dan honestly if it wasn't for wanting to do more advanced vision stuff I would still be on the Raspberry Pi. My last cut of Charlotte's program on the Rasperry Pi only used 85% of the CPU and of that 85%, only 1% to 2% was locomotion. So if all you want to do is terran adaptation and FPV then the Raspi could probably do the job.

It appears I still need to learn more about some of these command lines... I found stuff that works for me and it is alright... But maybe I need to figure out how to make samba work properly and simply mount to the share...

Yep the RPi and BBBk works very well for just do the locomotion and the like. Playing with Odroid because thought it would be fun May have to get something like the NUC as to get the OpenNi Middle ware...

Kurt

Images

It does help Kurt. I'm not big on starting from scratch on hobby centered programming. If I can leap off of something existing it keeps the momentum going. I have seen to many "projects" where people want to do things from scratch and by the time they get to the point of what is out there already, they run out of steam. That is why I will always be grateful to you, Zenta, Xan and Andrew for the development you have already done. I might not use it anymore but it got me to where I am in this project quicker than starting from the beginning. It took about a week to read through the phoenix code to understand what was going on. I'd hate to guess how long it would have taken if I started from scratch.

"I should note the "out of steam" comment doesn't happen every time. "
    Last edited by KevinO; 07-30-2013 at 06:13 PM.

Images

File sharing the project directory... duh *smacks forehead*. Brilliant, that will solve my issues I think. Many thanks!

I am running a little low on steam, but getting the loose ends tied up and video posted will be a major milestone.

edit: 11 minutes later i'm accessing the shares from my mbp and using Xcode as the IDE. It's working great! This is my fiancee's macbook pro, but its pretty cool for dev stuff. built in unix terminal, ssh, X11 server. it also has a built in vnc client. Once i setup netatalk, i can see the Pi, access its shares, and "share screen" (vnc) with it. Nice.
    Last edited by TXBDan; 07-30-2013 at 07:12 PM.

File sharing the project directory *can* work, although there are significant performance concerns, and sometimes files get "stuck" in either a locked state, or a state where you can see it, but your compiler can't.
    We used to do this at work, and it's a source of more problems than it solves.
    Even cross-mounting between virtual machines on the same host, where there's no real network involved, ends up more trouble than it's worth.
    Git for the win :-)

Images

That is a bit of an edge case though don't you think jwatte? I mean I use git for backing up and potentially rolling back if I can't find out what I did but using it constantly for a home hobby project is a bit overkill don't you think? It could just be me but after using Accurev at work all day the last thing I want to do is deal with any version control/management stuff when I come home.

Thread Information