Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Charlotte 2.0 (Intel NUC) using a Trossen Edge Kit prototype

Re: Charlotte 2.0 (Intel NUC) using a Trossen Edge Kit prototype

using it constantly for a home hobby project is a bit overkill don't you think?
    Actually, I don't. Git can run over ssh shell access. Literally, here's setting up a new depot:

Code:
    ssh [email protected] "mkdir myrepo.git && git init --bare myrepo.git"
    That's it! I have a remote repo!

Now, I can clone that repo:

Code:
    git clone [email protected]:myrepo.git
    This, too, is straightforward!

Typically I'll add a .gitignore of some sort to exclude *.o and *~ and *.ilk and *.suo and friends (depending on platform and dev env.)

Then, once in a while, like after successful makes that achieve something, I do
    Code:
    git commit -am 'more ghost entries for the reverse queuing dispatcher'
    At the end of the night I do
    Code:
    git push
    I have revisions to look at while developing, and a remote copy of all those revisions. All for the cost of typing two command lines when getting started. AND I can do this after I already got started, because git doesn't really mind doing a "git init" in a non-empty directory, and you can set the "remote" of a repo manually instead of using "git clone."

If you have to deal with Accurev, or SourceSafe, or Team Foundation Server, or whatever, you may have gotten a bad taste of revision control, but it doesn't have to be bad. (Note that Mercurial or Bizarre is nowhere near as good as git -- you can easily get into a case where you have to kill your repo with those systems. SVN is reliable, but long in the tooth. P4 is okayish, but server setup is black magic.)

Images

I currently have git setup in my project folder on the Pi and am using github as the repository. I normally only commit and push up to github every few weeks when i feel i have something major to show off. I'm afraid if i push up some intermediate change, someone will grab it and it won't work. I'm probably not taking full advantage of git, but i've never used VC professionally and its not ingrained in me.

So are you saying you setup the git repository on the Pi itself and setup a local clone on your dev machine? So youre working on the cloned files locally on your dev machine? Does the commit just commit them locally? If so do you need to push before the Pi's files are sync'ed and you can run them?

As a nonprofessional programmer my work flow is generally pretty "hack attack": hack out some code, make, run, it doesn't work, hack out some code, make run, repeat. I'm probably making and running every 1-3 minutes.

Thanks jwatte,

As I mentioned, I think I need to learn some more about using git. I have been using it with github. Mostly I use the windows github program that makes things pretty easy. On some projects on Github I only put up major things. On others, I try to put stuff up whenever I make some progress. Especially on some of these Linux boxes or some witht the Quad support. That way if others are working on it as well, they can see what I improved or screwed up...

What gets tricky for me is doing things like, have a project up on github, I clone it down on to both my PC and my target board, while working with a new feature, I may want to keep minor updates of the code on my PC, as for cases like: the SDCard goes bad, or on the BBBk, a update/upgrade goes bad and kills the setup, and then when I think it is time to update github, I do this on one of the machines (usually my dev machine), and then I want to sync up my board(s) to the current stuff... It then complains about conflicts... So I try things like revert... Also get's complicated when I am actually using two different RPIs to test out different things, but want them both to be able to get the stuff from the github...

But I do think that git is a good idea, so I need to figure out more of it.

Thanks again

P.S. - Maybe we should create a new thread. Git for Dummies
    Edit: May also want to include information, like do we need to setup something on our PC to allow us to SSH into it?
    Last edited by KurtEck; 07-31-2013 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtEck View Post

P.S. - Maybe we should create a new thread. Git for Dummies
    Let me know when you do. As a lapsed hobby programmer, I too am finding a bewildering array of options these days. This thread has already been super helpful in pointing me in some of the right directions, but I have been meaning to ask about GIT specifically.

Actually, I use git mostly for backup and sync purposes -- I can develop from more than one machine, and I push changes to my server for safe-keeping without having to have all the code public on github. Setting up a repo on my server is faster than setting one up on github. Gotta save those minutes :-)

For cross development (build on one machine, run on another,) I use a rule in the make file that pushes the built binaries to the target. If the target is a microcontroller, that "pushing" happens through a USB programmer. If that target runs Linux, that happens through rsync (which can also run over ssh -- ssh is the transport protocol of the future :-)

For the RPi specifically, I actually keep a git repo clone on the Pi, and use the on-Pi compiler to build after I pull changes, but I prefer to edit on the desktop machine. I need the code on both machines because it involves a network protocol where the machines talk to each other, so a change here usually also means a change there.

Any updates?

FYI - I thought I would join in and I ordered a NUC as well. Will be interesting to compare how well it works versus the ODroid.
    I purchased one with the I5 in it, plus 8GB of memory, plus 240GB ssd, plus WIFI/BT, plus power cable. Also purchased the DC to
    DC converter you mentioned.

My guess is that the i5 NUC will run rings around the ODroid, but I, too, would love to see some benchmarks!

The ARM chips generally do not get nearly as good performance per megahertz as the Intel chips, as Intel is very good at out-of-order execution and memory management.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by KurtEck View Post
    Any updates?
    I'm currently trying to tie a bunch of stuff together. Voice control, new speech system and object recognition. It's becoming a rather large program so it is taking a bit longer than I hoped. I will probably shoot another video to show what I have so far this week. Well that is the goal anyway. I can't wait to see what you do with your Intel NUC!

Looking foreword to seeing your updated video.

May have to see if I can borrow some of the code for some of your new stuff.

As for the NUC, me too

It arrived today, but I ordered a disk that did not fit When I was ordering, the part they showed, then mentioned that it was replaced by a newer version, which I ordered... Contacted Amazon.com they sent me a return authorization and return label by email, and will send the other one to me, which should arrive tomorrow...

Hi Kevin,
    I need to implement the code for the "neck" on the phoenix code, i wonder if you found any code to re use? or how you implemented,
    in my case this code will run on the arbotix board, I will ask KurtE if he has something,
    I saw some all videos on youtube on a Phenix code with an ANT Robot, that was amazingly implemented, with different gaits for the neck/head, following body rotations, or moving independently .
    cheers
    Eze

Thread Information