Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intel NUC

Intel NUC

Hello -
    I just finished some testing on the Intel NUC DC3217IYE I picked up. My plan is for it to become my next Mech controller. It's pretty sweet. Dual core and hyper-threaded 1.8 Ghz processor. It runs my new low latency video streaming software with barely a dent in the processor power. More on that later. The WiFi antenna is built into the case. The package is only about 4.5"x4.5"x2" and it has mounting holes on the bottom.

I read a post earlier about having difficulty finding a mech-friendly a power source for it. I used an automotive laptop power adapter and it works great. I power it from a 4S LiFe battery (12.8v nominal). A 3S LiPo battery is right on the lower end of the power adapter's specs, but I'll probably give it a try before too long. This is the power unit I bought:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008DYJI4E

You can pry open the case to get the circuit board, which is about 3"x2" and 55g without the cable. I had to change the connector, too. If you want to get a NUC in your bot, this item works well so far.

- CogswellCogs

Images

Re: Intel NUC

They are great! I use one as well as escott76 on his quad Zoidberg. We are using a up converter to get it up to 19 volts. Here is mine on a Trossen Edge Kit prototype.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CharlotteEdgeKit.jpg 
Views:	1068 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	4890  

Images

We are using this one. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008FLE7PA/..._M3T1_ST1_dp_1

With constant use over the past couple of weeks it has worked flawlessly.

Actually just ordered mine today I have "a few" things going on at the moment, we're moving to another state next month and a bunch of other stuff is going on. I haven't had as much chance to play lately as I'd like.
    For whatever it's worth, I chose the lowest end NUC http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...ccp847dye.html . At this point all I have done is some webcam streaming, but when I get some more free time (HA!) I plan to get some other stuff working.

Out of curiosity, can you take out the NUC board from the casing to save space/weight?

The Intel site lists the bare board version of each of the 3 NUC's currently available. I did some quick digging but could not find one for a reasonable cost compared to the kit. Keep in mind also that the "case" contains antennas for BT/WiFi and a few other buttons, a usb socket etc. The main board also carries a somewhat significant fan module. You might save a few millimeters in each direction taking of the case, probably bigger gains on the weight front, but it's not enough to make me ditch it for the protection it offers. These things when loaded with RAM/Disk/Wireless are pretty packed.
    Allegedly they are coming out with Haswell versions when the chips become more available later this year. I figure if I need the power I can likely cram that board into the case on the one I have. That is another reason I bought the lowest spec one.
    Totally useless trivia fact, they put a light sensor and a music playback chip in the box that the NUC comes in, when you open it the intel "dum-dum-dum-ding" noise plays. Cute the first time, and more and more annoying every time after...

>> but it's not enough to make me ditch it for the protection it offers
    I agree 100%. The small amount of gain isn't worth the risk and aggravation. The case may need to be modified, however, if you want access to the other two USB ports. Those are headers on the board itself and not brought out to panel connectors.

>> when you open it the intel "dum-dum-dum-ding" noise plays. Cute the first time, and more and more annoying every time after...
    Fortunately, mine stopped after about the tenth box opening.

Images

I even mounted mine with the VESA mount so I can slide it off if I need to. It is a great little machine.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinO View Post
    I even mounted mine with the VESA mount so I can slide it off if I need to. It is a great little machine.
    I measured the slots and cut them into a piece of polycarbonate so I could use the factory mounting solution without the steel plate. Works well.

Images

Nice! I wish I had your skills!
    Last edited by KevinO; 07-17-2013 at 09:34 PM.

Thread Information