Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: HS Walker

Arrow HS Walker

I have gone back to the drawing board, and decided to do a clone of Jwatte's Little Walker, named HS Walker.

Pics (so far):

Name:  Picture 004.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  41.9 KB

Name:  Picture 002.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  28.7 KB

The horizontal bars are about 2 1/2" - 3" long. The 2 bar linkage is made out of Lego Technic parts, and the feet are made out of K'nex that have been melted at the joints to prevent them from moving.

I know this question will probably come up, so my reason for using Legos is because: 1.They're cheap 2.They're quite precise 3.I didn't have to make all of the holes and everything myself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 001.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	4893   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 003.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	4895  

Re: HS Walker

That's cute :-)
    Video of it walking?

Will have that soon. I have to get something to mount the arduino board on made.

Update: I will be converting him to a 2 DoF AX-12A quad once an arm that I bought off of Xevel (I cannot thank you enough for that deal!) arrives.

In the meantime, I have a couple questions:

1. How do you guys do variable gaits on your 2 DoF quads?? I tried to find IssyDunnYet's 2 DoF code, but the only code I can find is 3 DoF. This has been answered by YoMarchYo, thank you for the information.

2. What would the best design be to start off with using the standard Bioloid plastic brackets as the framework for the legs? I've got a design in mind already, no need to answer this one.

3. Can the PyMech code be modified to grab the stream from my RasPi?? I am using Mjpg-Streamer to stream the image (640x480) at 30 FPS. * Or will it work already with the Trendnet class??

Thank You for any tips or info or anything that you guys can point me to.
    Last edited by ArduTank; 08-21-2013 at 03:34 PM. Reason: updates

Update:

He has been built!:

Name:  Picture 002.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  44.9 KB

Leg detail:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 003.jpg 
Views:	695 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	4973

Ratsnest of wire around the ArbotiX (it's my diy dynamixel splitter cable):

Name:  Picture 004.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  36.4 KB

And I set it up to not use hubs on the underside of the coxa servos. those connections are still very strong:

Name:  Picture 005.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  35.9 KB

The gray metal is anodized aluminum, 1/8 in thick by 3/4 in wide.

Video of it walking will come soon. I have to tweak my walking code a little and extend his tether to a pc power supply (I don't have a battery for him yet) first.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 001.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	4971  

6. Re: HS Walker

Nice job, dude. However, I would still advise using the hubs and the second support beam on the coxa servos. I'm sure the connection seems rigid but servos are really designed for radial loads. The load from the body weight of your bot will be translated into an axial load on the horn and a bending load concentrated at the spline. They may not break outright but at the very least you'd being shortening their life considerably.

Main reason I did not include hubs on the bottom is because the PhantomX Reactor arm I got these dynamixels from only had five hubs. I've aready used four of them on the tibias, and I'm a little short on the 3/4" aluminum. All I have left of the aluminum I bought is the 1".

I almost have the walking figured out. I just gotta figure out why he's tilted back a little when walking. Would the longer legs in the back do that?

8. Re: HS Walker

I would also advise you to put a second body plate under the body, otherwise you will get bending and possibly damage on the servo cases when you start putting some weight on the body (battery, camera, guns...). You don't need it to be extra robust since it will work in tension, even some 3mm medium or 2mm styrene would help.
    ---
    Personal blog: http://xevel.org
    USB2AX documentation: http://xevelabs.com

Yeah, I was planning on doing that, since I wanted to mount the ArbotiX on the underside again(that plate I have now is the center tier from the base of the Reactor; I plan on re-using the big ball-bearing thrust bearing for my turret.) so that it would be protected. I just have to fiure out what materials I have that can be used. Now that I think of it, I could use the 1" aluminum in a cross form to add strength.

Hey, i just thought to measure him, and his leg span standing with his legs in a cross pattern, his span is approx. 17.5 in

Thread Information