Thread: How to stop curling of your object from the build platform when you 3D print.

Images

How to stop curling of your object from the build platform when you 3D print.

I have been testing a hack that was been going around the 3d printing community and it works!!

I have started to use Elmer's stick glue on my build platform instead of hairspray and ABS slurry.

I find it easier and safer to use instead of ABS slurry and it works as well as or better than hairspray.

Link to my pictures:

http://mike-ibioloid.blogspot.com/20...-printing.html

Images

Re: How to stop curling of your object from the build platform when you 3D print.

Neat. How do you get it off? I'm using a Cupcake CNC with a crappy kapton covered build platform, so it would be iffy to just scrape off.

Re: How to stop curling of your object from the build platform when you 3D print.

Nice. It will be need to try it.
    Last edited by Dan_2013; 08-09-2013 at 06:49 PM.

Images

I get my object off with this: http://www.cricut.com/Shopping/detai...a-272-116.aspx.

Just wait until your build platform cools.

You can wash the glue off with water and a little bit of soap.

Glue stick is an interesting idea. I'll try it. Right now I use an ABS/Acetone solution. It works great (sometimes too well), but is messy and a pain to use.

I just print a raft, doesn't leave a nice smooth bottom but I can do some finishing up after the print to have it look ok.

Images

CogswellCogs, I used a ABS/Acetone too. The glue stick is a lot easier and safer to use for you, ABS parts on your printed and painted surfaces around your printer that you may drip it on.

CasperH - I wish that a raft is all that I needed to use for all of the robot parts that I print out. There are a lot of times when you need more adhesion to the build platform.

It also sounds like this works for ABS, PLA and Nylon from the feedback that I am getting.

If you are not in the US try Pritt glue sticks.
    Last edited by Gort; 08-13-2013 at 04:31 PM.

8. Re: How to stop curling of your object from the build platform when you 3D print.

Another similar trick that works very well is to take one part regular elmers (or similar brand) glue to 10 parts of water and use a very thin coat on your bed, works very well.

Images

Yes, you can use watered down regular Elmer's glue as it has PVA (Polyninyl acetate) in it. The other favorite trick is to use Hairspray that has Polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP) in it.

I personally like the glue stick trick the best. No over-spray from hairspray and no mixing plus easier clean up afterwards then both hairspray and regular Elmer's glue.

Thread Information