Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Built my quadruped. Not really sure where to go next

Images

Re: Built my quadruped. Not really sure where to go next

So, bottom is an SSC-32 clone with an FT232RL for USB, and the top is an ATmega328P for converting the PS2 controller signals to UART commands and maybe storing extra motions in EEPROM?

Curious board design. Either they got a really crappy clone of the FT232RL that absolutely required a 12MHz crystal to function, or they did not read the datasheet very well (FT232RL does not require a crystal and its internal oscillator can even produce 6/12/24/48MHz clock output signals for microcontrollers). The other two crystals are also really far away from either of the ATmega328P, which is odd to say the least.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh
    more bleh

From the document I think it does not use an FT232RL but instead uses some Prolific PL-2303 driver...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by KurtEck View Post
    From the document I think it does not use an FT232RL but instead uses some Prolific PL-2303 driver...
    Ah... I should have known better than to pipe up about that which I do not know... yet again.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh
    more bleh

4. Re: Built my quadruped. Not really sure where to go next

I played around with the software more this weekend.

I'm able to set a neutral pose (all servos centered) which makes my quad stand upright.

I've also been able to start a crude gait loop that lifts two opposite legs, sweeps them forward, and then lowers them back to the ground, and then repeats with the other two legs. I'm trying to have this action linked with the left analog stick being tilted forward but I don't get any response from pressing all of the PS2 buttons/sticks. Just blinking lights on the board.

There is a jumper on the board that can switch between USB and PS2. I'll mess around with it more.

Images

You'd probably save yourself a lot of trouble by ditching that controller and getting an actual SSC-32/Arduino setup. That way you'd at least have english documentation on your side.

6. Re: Built my quadruped. Not really sure where to go next

Quote Originally Posted by Tyberius View Post
    You'd probably save yourself a lot of trouble by ditching that controller and getting an actual SSC-32/Arduino setup. That way you'd at least have english documentation on your side.
    Yeah, That seems to be the best bet. I will pick up an Arduino Board and SSC-32. Will the Arduino Uno board fit? That's the one I'm looking at.

Also, will my 2.4GHz Airtronics RDS 8000 RC Transmitter and Receiver be able to communicate to the Arduimo and SSC or do I have to buy another component for that? I'd like to use that transmitter as the controller.

7. Re: Built my quadruped. Not really sure where to go next

I picked up these items:

The DaVinci Arduino Compatible Board
    http://www.orionrobotics.com/The-DaVinci-Arduino-Compatible_p_274.html

O
    rion Servo Shield
    http://www.orionrobotics.com/Orion-Servo-Shield-for-Arduino_p_275.html

P
    S2 Remote Control
    http://www.orionrobotics.com/Intelligent-PS2-Remote-Control_p_300.html

I
    also have Arduino 1.0.1 installed into my computer.

The servos on my quad are connected to the respective shield header ports in this manual:
    http://downloads.orionrobotics.com/downloads/datasheets/quadraped.pdf

Please excuse me being extremely new to this. I'm thinking that there is some file or library containing code that I open with arduino, and load onto the board? I appreciate any help or guidance.

Hi 2zon,

Sorry in advance for my rambling long reply.

This is also going to be exciting. The electronics you purchased is nice stuff from Orion Robotics. However unfortunately there are probably not many people who know know much about them and I don't know if Nathan has released a Quad program yet.

I do have one of their Mantis quads, sitting here in my office that I have been working on adapting the Phoenix code to work with it. It is still not walking very well. Hopefully some time soon I will work on it some more. My last drop of the code is up on github in the project: https://github.com/KurtE/Arduino_Pho...e/Quad-Support

If you look at my project, and setup with all of the appropriate directories stored into the Arduino sketchbook Libraries directory, than there should be an example project under the Phoenix directory that starts off with the word Mantis. This is the one setup for a Quad using the Orion Shield and the Orion/Basic Micro PS2.

To explain some of the issues/choices one can make, you need to understand a little more about the orion shield. It is a full 32 bit microcontroller (Renesas H8/3687), that is connected to 24 out of the 32 IO pins that come out of the shield, the other 8 connect to the Arduino. It is very much like an Basic Micro Arc32 on a shield. It is faster, more memory, than the Arduino that is controlling it. It communicates with the Arduino through if I remember correctly an SPI interface as well as maybe another IO pin or two. The code that is pre-programmed into it has lots of capabilities and ways to use it. You can tell it to move a specific servo to pulse width X (or angle y) and how long to take to get there. You can also tell it what the conversion factor is from angle to pulse width on a servo by servo level. Likewise you can tell it that some servos should run in reverse. But in addition to this, there is code to do the IK math for one or more arms with a settable number of degrees of freedom. My Phoenix code is using it, like a normal servo controller by telling it where each servo is going. The code for some of their robots such as the Fire-Ant is moving more of the code into the Orion and having it do the IK as if it has 6 3dof arms...

As I said, the Orion Shield is a full blown Microcontroller. To program it you need to use their IDE, which you can download from their site: http://downloads.orionrobotics.com/d...p_2-0-0-18.exe
    You have the option of writing your own complete set of software for it. If you are not using their servos, you may need to update their code, which I see the link for it is currently broken, but there is a message saying you can get it by request. You might need to as by default their code tries to talk to their servos, which act like normal RC servos, except they also send out some specific very short pulse widths and then go into input mode to allow their servos to pulse them back. They use this to allow the servos to provide some feedback, such as their current pulse width... Some servos completely ignore these short pulses, but I found my Hitec ones jittered with it. Currently I am using the board on their Mantis with their servos so this is not an issue.

On the Arduino IDE side, I personally recommend going up to a newer version of the IDE like 1.0.5 as it removes some bugs...

You will need the Orion Robotics libraries for the communication between the processors, as well as to talk to their PS2...
    http://downloads.orionrobotics.com/d...de/arduino.zip

Note: The PS2 controller you purchased, is different than normal PS2 controllers as their controller connects using one IO pin, through a Serial interface. They have their own modified copy of Software Serial that they use to first output a serial request to the IO pin and then wait for it to respond on the same IO pin.

Again sorry about this long reply. Hope it helps.
    Kurt

Thread Information