Thread: Robotics Engineering Grad School

Images

Robotics Engineering Grad School

Hello all,

Tomorrow's the big day. It's the first day of the first class of a Robotics Engineering MS. I'm taking it at WPI part time.

Is anyone else in grad school or have gone to grad school for Robotics? I figure this could be a good place to ask questions and share info.

My first class is Foundations of Robotics:

RBE 500. FOUNDATIONS OF ROBOTICS

Mathematical foundations and principles of processing sensor information in robotic systems. Topics include an introduction to probabilistic concepts related to sensors, sensor signal processing, multi-sensor control systems and optimal estimation. The material presented will focus on the types of control problems encountered when a robot must operate in an environment where sensor noise and/or tracking errors are significant. Techniques for assessing the stability, controllability and expected accuracy of multi-sensor control and tracking systems will be presented. Lab projects will involve processing live and synthetic data, robot simulation, and projects involving the control of robot platforms. (Prerequisites: Differential Equations (MA 2051 or equivalent), Linear Algebra (MA 2071 or equivalent) and the ability to program in a high-level language.)

I graduated undergrad ten years ago, I'm nervous!

Re: Robotics Engineering Grad School

WPI ! Cool.

I'm working with the WPI team on the DARPA Robotics Challenge. Will you be participating on that project ?

Images

Cool, are you in the area? What do you do?

I got an email from the WRECS team and they're looking for volunteers to help. I'd love to, but I don't think I'd have the time to commit. Working full+ time and taking this class will be a pretty full plate as it is. I don't want to sign up and then flake out. :/ Maybe once I get into the rhythm of things I can help out next semester.

I'd love to just SEE that Atlas robot.

I'm outside of Philadelphia, working remotely with the WRECS team. There are a few trips budgeted for me to go to Worchester this year and next, but I haven't made any yet. I've been on the team from the beginning, when we were just using the Gazebo simulator. It was easier to work remotely then. Now that the team has advanced to phase two and has a physical robot, I find it more difficult to contribute. Many of the issues the team is working through requires physical presence. I do what I can and have been learning a lot.

Images

Update. 5 years later, i've graduated! One class at a time is slow going...

Images

Better than burning out and dropping out. Took all the credits, but GPA dropped below 3.0 in final semester and mental health was nowhere near enough to complete a thesis.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh

Hey, TXBDan, that sounds awesome! Congratulations!
    Maybe you can be inspiration for tician?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tician View Post
    Better than burning out and dropping out. Took all the credits, but GPA dropped below 3.0 in final semester and mental health was nowhere near enough to complete a thesis.
    Yep, it's better than that!

Have you sought professional help? Trying to function with a mental health issue is no different than trying to run with a broken leg. You're obviously a real smart guy, just gotta get fixed up. You can do it.

Images

Grad school was what finally made me start treatment, but it was too little too late when I started at the end of my first semester. Does not help that the treating psychiatrist at the university health center was not super helpful, which resulted in several months of mirtazapine (that eventually reached max dosage) making things ever so much worse. Then as the first semester after starting treatment was winding down they dumped me on the first local psychiatrist to answer their phone regardless of whether they were actually a good match for me or if I could even get to their offices with my lack of transportation. That led to me receiving no professional help whatsoever for ~2 years when I finally remembered that general practitioners can renew prescriptions for stuff as common as prozac.

Seems that ~3 years of continuous treatment was enough to cause a permanent change for the better, since I've been off of prozac for ~9 months without any signs of the horrific anxiety and gastrointestinal issues that have plagued me since second year of high school (fall 2002). That stoppage was due to the practice being bought out and doctors leaving without a peep, then insurance changes leading to further issues actually finding a GP (gave up a few months ago).

As for finishing my thesis, my advisor retired in May 2016 and I'm currently on week three of furlough from the first job I've finally gotten since graduate assistant funding ran out at the end of 2013.
    Last edited by tician; 07-03-2018 at 03:55 PM.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh

Thread Information