Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Industrial robot needs a mobile platform?

1. Why Industrial robot needs a mobile platform?

I remember kuka has a robot to be mobile platform.
    I'm curious about what applications need to move by a mobile platform.
    Are those applications important?
    Thank you~

Re: Why Industrial robot needs a mobile platform?

Some examples of moving-platform robots:

- Assisted electric wheelchairs.
    - Automatic lawn mowers.
    - Warehouse picking automatons.
    - Robotic vaccuum cleaners.
    - Self-driving cars.
    - Autonomous surveillance drones.

Are these applications important? I think so.

Not your typical 'industrial robot arm', but this is how they will be (un)loading container ships in the present/future:

They are 60 tons, and have an "arm" called a spreader to pick up containers. They have to travel hundreds of meters for a single pick and place move and thus make many kilometers per day. A typical terminal can be 1-2 km wide. Ignore the awful music..
    Last edited by CasperH; 10-19-2013 at 01:49 PM.

4. Re: Why Industrial robot needs a mobile platform?

So this video is call AGV robot,right?

Do you think stationary robot with mobile will enlarge value to original process?

Thank you~

Do you think stationary robot with mobile will enlarge value to original process?
    There is no single, generic answer to that question. You have to look at the specific processes you want to use the robot for, and figure out whether using a moving robot would improve whatever that process it. It is dependent on the specifics of the process.

For example, a robot arm, on top of a moving chassis, could be used as a warehouse storing and picking robot. Without the moving base, that wouldn't work. Thus, in that particular case, adding the moving chassis would enable this particular use case.

Quote Originally Posted by c2220333 View Post
    So this video is call AGV robot,right?
    Yes that is an "AGV" robot, with some additional tools, which in this case is the spreader.

Not really sure what you are asking here..

There are also robotic arms that have a linear slide underneath:

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    There is no single, generic answer to that question. You have to look at the specific processes you want to use the robot for, and figure out whether using a moving robot would improve whatever that process it. It is dependent on the specifics of the process.

For example, a robot arm, on top of a moving chassis, could be used as a warehouse storing and picking robot. Without the moving base, that wouldn't work. Thus, in that particular case, adding the moving chassis would enable this particular use case.
    100% agreed, each application where robots can be considered have lots of variables and it has to be looked in to in depth to see what to use and get.
    Last edited by CasperH; 10-21-2013 at 05:22 AM.

7. Re: Why Industrial robot needs a mobile platform?

Oh, I see. I understand this mobile ability should depend on which application.
    Is there any exist application that original work is processed by stationary industrial robot, but also found that mobile industrial robot will be more suitable for that application?

@jwatte

I understand why warehouse storing needs mobile industrial robot.
    I'm curious about why picking robot needs mobile industrial robot? Is picking robot means like delta robot?

Thank you~

I'm curious about why picking robot needs mobile industrial robot?
    By "picking robot" I mean the kind of warehousing robot that can take a bill of materials order, and pick out the objects required into an outgoing basket or somesuch.

There are also "pick and place" robots that are used to manufacture electronics, but those are not what I meant here.

Is there any exist application that original work is processed by stationary industrial robot, but also found that mobile industrial robot will be more suitable for that application?
    To answer that question, you have to talk to the kinds of people who do the various kinds of work, not the kinds of people who build robots.

Oh, I see. I understand this mobile ability should depend on which application.

@jwatte

I understand why warehouse storing needs mobile industrial robot.
    I'm curious about why picking robot needs mobile industrial robot? Is picking robot means like delta robot?

Thank you~
    Sounds more like a marketing research question at this point.

A generic answer would be anywhere where giving a robot more movement provides an improvement in the following area's:

• Faster job execution
    • Less downtime
    • More productivity

10. Re: Why Industrial robot needs a mobile platform?

In my idea, "Faster job execution" and "More productivity" means the same thing,right?
    I'm not quite understand why mobile robot will run faster because when the robot needs to move, it will slow down its action.
    And what your means downtime? Is that means mobile industrial robot will have more ability to deal with dynamic environment to prevent unpredictable situation that cause robot stop working?
    Thank you~~

Thread Information