Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: PhantomX using a Teensy 3.1

Re: PhantomX using a Teensy 3.1

Thanks, I decided to go with the separate project Phantom_Phoenix_Serial, which is now up there. The code relies on my other project BioloidSerial, which I also slightly updated to match what was in my local project. In addition on the BioloidSerial project I uploaded a zip file that has my Arbotix Hardware branch that I am using to support the Arbotix on 1.5.6. This version of the library allows the default Serial1 object to be created which is used by BioloidSerial. I have tried using the BioloidSerial objects on the Arbotix as well as standard Arduino Megas and likewise now with the Teensy 3.1 with the Phantom_Phoenix_Serial code. Also I have also tried out running a slightly modified version of the Pypose code base on the Quad.

Kurt

Side note:

My other Teensy carrier boards with Arduino Headers arrived today from Seeedstudio. Which is not too bad. I ordered on March 9th, so it only took 15 days to make them and ship them here by standard mail. Here is a picture of them. I did a dry run with Arduino headers, to verify I did not screw up the alignments. I also show the main board I will be using here to test out stuff on the PhantomX along with the only other Arduino shields I have. Not sure if I will test all of them out or not. Not much need for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Teensy-3.1-with-shields.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	5452

As you can see this board is a bit bigger than the ones I have assembled so far.

Kurt
    Last edited by KurtEck; 03-24-2014 at 05:49 PM.

3. Re: PhantomX using a Teensy 3.1

Not bad. I just got my SeeedStudio order on Friday - ordered Feb 24, so almost 4 weeks for me.

My first rev. 2 MicroPython/uCee board is in the reflow oven as I type this - I should be able to test it soon...

- Jon
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay, inventor of Smalltalk

Images

Looking good Kurt!
    I've not received any boards yet.. The OSH Park shipped the boards at March 14 and SeedStudio shipped the boards at March 12.
    Looks like I've to wait a little more. Meanwhile I've ordered the correct power terminal blocks and green smd leds digikey part# 160-1404-1-ND. I prefer having green led for power indicator, instead of red. Probably gonna use red and green for the TX/RX leds, I forgot to order yellow leds though.

The green wire, I assume that's your quick and dirty jumper from VUSB to Vin?
    Kåre Halvorsen aka Zenta
    ---------------------------------
    Zenta's YouTube channel
    Zenta's Blog
    Zenta's Instagram

As for color leds, I usually just put on whichever ones I feel like that day. I think I only had two colors on the first one, on my next order I ordered a some yellows to be different. Other days, I might just say, make them all red...

I don't know how it works when shipped to other countries, but with my order for Seeedstudio I could track them. Nothing would happen for a couple of days and then it would show it made it to the US and then sit in customs for a couple of days... Then finally that it transferred to USPS. What I did not figure out at first was the link to USPS had the shipping number as the link text, so first copy it and then paste it on the USPS website to track (only showed anything after it transferred).

Yep the green wire is my quick and dirty. If I were to assemble another one of these, I will instead of soldering in the VUSB pin to go to my carrier board, I would instead have it stick up out of the teensy. Then could use simple 1 wire jumper wire instead of soldering it to top of pin...

Quick update: I decided to take a break from reworking original Chicken Coop. I knew we had a Rat problem, so tore out the ceiling and the whole area was filled with Rat sh... Found out how they got in. They ate a hole through the cedar shingles of the roof...

So for fun I assembled one of the Teensyduino boards.

Name:	Teensyduino-Assembled.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	5468

Not sure if any of my existing shields will work. I did order a couple of ones from Robotshop which should arrive Monday. I thought that maybe my old NKC electronics V3 Xbee shield would work, but has issues. I did plug in an Arbotix Commander as a shield and was able to talk to XBee.

Kurt

We've never had much of a rat problem. We got two of these:

We actually have several coyotes that live on our property, which help keep the rabbit (and cat) population down, but we really had a problem with Rats and Mice for awhile. They caused a few thousand dollars of damage to one of our cars when they eat the two main wiring harnesses. Also took me quite awhile to get them out of the house. Trapped and killed three or four, plus finally figured out where they were getting in and finally resorted to poison... We could hear them in the ceiling in the chicken coop for awhile, put in two of the noise makers which helped, plus I think they made their way to one of the bait stations as luckily there were no live ones. Now I need to get back out there and install a new ceiling...
    Last edited by KurtEck; 04-02-2014 at 11:33 AM.

Quick update: In the next few days (more likely next week), will finally swap the Teensy into the Hexapod. And since I am having fun playing with the Teensy.

I thought I would convert my DIY remote control over to using a Teensy. Before I was using either a Seeeduino Mega with my own shield, or a board I did using the Atmega644p. So thought it would be fun to convert to using my Teensy Breakout board (V0.2...) I now have it wired up and parts working:

Name:	DIY-Remote-Teensy.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	5482
    It has two Joysticks that have the standard 2DOF plus a knob that you can rotate and a button on top, plus keypad and 3 analog sliders. I am using one of the smaller OLED displays to display stuff on.

Sometime I should probably clean up the rats nest of wiring for this:

Name:	DIY-Remote-Teensy-ratsnest.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	5483

While I am at it, I may also play a bit with my protocol for talking back and forth to a robot. Currently there is probably way too much handshaking. Once they are talking, I have the robot ask for new data when it want's it instead of blindly sending it. I use the XBees in packet mode. Have to see how far I wish to simplify. I still want the bidirectional communications, where the robot sends back messages to display, or sounds to play, as well as battery state.

Kurt

Images

Smile Re: PhantomX using a Teensy 3.1

Looks like a fun project Kurt!
    I've also thought about making a second DIY remote and with all the A/D's the Teensy should be perfect. Great to know you are working on a more effective protocol. I'm not sure about the design on the new DIY remote yet. Maybe something like Andrew's FrankenCommander, lol. Would be cool to integrate a 5" or 7" LCD screen with 5,8GHz receiver from a bot-camera and using the LCD screen for on-screen display.

Btw, today I got the boards from OSH-Park! This mean 19 day for shipping to Norway.
    We are celebrating my eldest son 10 years birthday this weekend, so i'm not sure when I get time for soldering.
    Kåre Halvorsen aka Zenta
    ---------------------------------
    Zenta's YouTube channel
    Zenta's Blog
    Zenta's Instagram

Thread Information