Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 12345671328 ... LastLast

Thread: PhantomX using a Teensy 3.1

Re: PhantomX using a Teensy 3.1

Looks great. I have not done much yet with python. Keep meaning to, and started playing with some of the tutorials awhile ago. Like the break out board. I have been thinking of doing a quick and dirty board like this in diptrace, with the simple features I would like.

Kurt

After three days of email back and forth I ordered a couple 9.04s from Robotis in CA. Should be here Friday or Monday!

If anyone else wants to order from them, here's the trick (which they seem to barely know):

Email america@robotis.com and say you want X quantity of OpenCM 9.04-A or B and your mailing address. Ask for an invoice. Once you get the invoice you can then call them to pay over the phone. Not too bad in hindsight, be each step required me to ask the next step which took another day of email delay.

Thought it might be fun to layout a breakout board for the Teensy that had the same mounting pattern as the old Lynxmotion / Basic Micro boards... So I started playing around in dip trace.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Teensy-3.1-start-breakout.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	5309

Not done yet, needs lots of cleanup, not sure if I will complete or not, but just playing around some, have not tried to run the traces yet. Still playing on functionality. Also thinking I want to do slightly differently than some of my previous boards and get away from really small components to solder, so will look to use bigger one for some of the parts here.

Still playing with functionality, like currently it shows
    XBee (Default jumpers for Serial2), Speaker, 3 AX type servo connections with circuit protection (may relax this some), also will make it like some of the other parts where you remove a jumper and no longer tied to Serial1...

The bottom part has normal digital pins, where I currently have you can jumper groups of 8 to +5v or VIN. Top groups are Analog pins, currently all connected with 3.3v. May add selection for one set. To right side of Teensy is another 8 pins without power, that I may optionally add, but these require connections to pins on bottom of teensy... Have Voltage Divider to Vin by default goes to A0.

Toward bottom right is 3 pin connections for the serial ports, again Serial1 (if you use the Jumper (not in yet) to D1 defaults to Dynamixel servos, Serial2 defaults to XBee and Serial3 is free (Dups of D7, D8) Might drop these if I need more room for other functionality.

Could add PU resistors for SCL/SDA if I think I need it... Could simply put in traces and space for them...
    Could add a switch or two.

Also not sure if I do make a few that, in the default case if I would fully populate all pins. Some of the pins on the bottom of the Teensy are surface mount. I think I saw somewhere on the Teensy forums, that there is a surface mount part you can buy to connect up to the 2x7 pins, but my gut tells me that it would be a pain to solder this on and get it placed accurately enough to then get those pins to line up properly along with edge pins...

Could be fun

4. Re: PhantomX using a Teensy 3.1

My Teensy carrier board I ordered from OSH Park finally (after five weeks) showed up today.

Name:	IMG_20140122_195955.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	5310

I've got a bunch of 0.05" spacing Hirose connectors on it:

6-pin (x2) - PWM control of motors
    4 pin - Bluetooth serial
    4 pin - I2C to 9 axis IMU
    4 pin (x2) - Encoder from motors
    3 pin (x3) - Sharp IR analog sensor
    3 pin (x3) - ProxDot IR digital sensor

- Jon
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay, inventor of Smalltalk

Pretty cool!

Very nice!

What I find that all of these microcontroller carriers are missing, is enough ground pins. For each signal pin, you really want one ground pin, or at least one-half (assuming the average external component uses two signal pins and a ground.)
    I've been playing with the idea of always using two-row headers, where one row is ground, and one is signals. Or one row is interleaved GND and VCC, and the other is signals.

7. Re: PhantomX using a Teensy 3.1

Actually, with my board, each connector has a Vcc (5 volts) and ground, in addition to the signal pin(s). That's why I used 0.05" spacing connectors - I wouldn't have room for the 10 connectors otherwise, and still have the board fit inside uCee.

Here's a high res photo of one of the bare boards. The outside pin on each connector is ground, the second-to-outside pin is Vcc, the rest are signal pins.

Name:	TeensyCarrier.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	5312

I was originally going to use an LM2940 as a 5-volt regulator, but I found these instead, which are smaller, and are switching instead of linear, and handle both step-down (input is higher than 5 volts) and step-up (input is lower than 5 volts). Dirt cheap too.

- Jon
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay, inventor of Smalltalk

I like your switching regulator. I currently am planning to use one of the same ones I did on some other boards (LD29150) as I think it can handle both 6v inputs for some projects as well as a 3S lipo for others (says it can handle up to 30v). But the switching type sure looks interesting

I have some of the Pololus, too; they are great! The only drawback with the Pololu ones is somewhat limited current capacity, and somewhat-to-a-lot higher price than the OKI 78SR (1.5A, $4.30) or RECOM (0.5A, $2.80) stop-down-only equivalents.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...6-5-ND/2259781
    http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...60895892041980

Good thinking on providing power and ground for each grouped connector!

10. Re: PhantomX using a Teensy 3.1

I have a few of the OKI 78SR, and they are nice (although only a tiny bit cheaper than the Pololu version - $4.30 versus $4.95). However, on uCee I couldn't use the OKI's - they are too thick, and would hit my hbridge board which is mounted underneath the Teensy carrier. The Pololu one handles 1 amp in step-down, and 0.5 amps in step-up, and takes up less room than a 7805.

To give you a feel for the size, here are a couple pics:

Name:	IMG_20140123_173320.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	5315Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140123_173329.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	5316

Rather amazing if you've got a really small robot and you need a decent regulator.

Thread Information