Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891530 ... LastLast

Thread: PhantomX using a Teensy 3.1

Re: PhantomX using a Teensy 3.1

Thanks Dan,

Yep - I am doing the boards for my own fun. I am also no electrical engineer or the like (Computer Science Degrees). But I did take some classes back in college. But was a few years (decades) ago :lol: Luckily there are people up here who I can always ask questions of, and/or look at existing designs...

Jon,
    Sounds like KiCad is working out great for you. I will probably stick with DipTrace as I am used to it and it works well for me.

I have not completely fleshed out all of the 3d of all of the components yet. It was awhile ago when I did some of them and I need to remember all of the steps. Looking at your blog it looks like the steps are somewhat the same, except I don't remember Rhino, so probably different...

Here is a quick and dirty output with the current parts I have:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Teensy-3.1-breakout-brd-3D.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	5355

Edit: Forgot to mention, slightly changed design (not sure will ever do), but someone up on Lynxmotion mentioned they sure wish it had hook up for I2C like the BotBoarduino, so I was playing around.

Kurt

P.S - Applied power and my power LED comes on, so at least some of it is working.

Images

Hi Kurt,

It's been a long time since I was active with robotics. Currently I've spent some time reading different very interesting threads on the TRC forum. So many talented people.

Both the Teensy 3.1 and your botboard sized board looks very interesting. Looks like a good step-up from the current boards we've used the last 7+ years or so?

I'm looking forward to read more about your progress.

As always, keep up the good work Kurt!
    Kåre Halvorsen aka Zenta
    ---------------------------------
    Zenta's YouTube channel
    Zenta's Blog
    Zenta's Instagram

Thanks Kåre,

I am very glad you are back!

I have the one BB2 sized board assembled and on my PhantomX Hex Things are working pretty well. There are things I will change if I do a new build of it, like replace the 3.5mm power connector block with a 5mm connector block. Would make it a lot easier to connect the heaver battery wires up to the board. Right now I am cheating and left the power going to a powered AX-HUB and use an AX connector cable to bring power over to the board...

I have updated my Serial PhantomX Phoenix code base configuration for this board and so far it is working good. Things like: declared I had sound on pin 6. In this case I am using the tone command to actually do the sound. The XBee is working, including the 3 leds (Assoc, RX, TX). I also declared A0 for getting battery voltage through a resistor divider (40.2K, 10K). Also had to update that the Voltage reference is 3.3v and not 5v). This is now working as well.

I do have a couple of servos now showing up as servo #1, so need to use test program to reset the servo ID.

So having some fun, with it. One of the next things to try out with this board, is to see how well it can drive some hobby servos.
    Not counting the IO pins that are hard to get to (and I punted on), I believe 10 of the IO pins support PWM. 2 of them are on RX2/TX2, which by default I use for XBee. If I make a new version may move XBee to Serial3 as the IO pins do not have as many interesting things on them.

Kurt

Images

Looks like your board works pretty well then. I agree about having a good power connector makes everything a bit easier.
    I assume it wouldn't be a problem to combine it with a SSC32 board too?

I would really find it interesting to get me some of those boards to play along with, one day.
    Btw, the EA LPC4088 board Dan posted about was very interesting too. So much cool stuff!
    Kåre Halvorsen aka Zenta
    Zenta's YouTube channel
    Zenta's Blog
    Zenta's Instagram

It is a piece of cake to hook up to SSC-32. We have 3 Serial ports (actuall 4 including the USB). None of them are hard wired on my board. (I have jumpers) to enable XBee and Jumper to enable AX bus.

Yep lots of nice stuff to play with. Including the new Robotis one, which I thought might be in the store by now. The hard thing will be to narrow down on what board(s) I should continue to play with.

Kurt

Images

Kurt, I have yet to see you "narrow" down your electronics selection. :P

Images

Quote Originally Posted by KevinO View Post
    LOL !!
    Kåre Halvorsen aka Zenta
    Zenta's YouTube channel
    Zenta's Blog
    Zenta's Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by KevinO View Post
    Who me:

Here is at least a few of the boards, that I probably won't be starting any new projects with:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Board-Grave-yard.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	5358

At least you can havest those Xbees :-)

Yes - I will for sure recover those. Also may still play some with a few of those Mega shields I made as I do have three different boards that some of them fit:
    Arduino Mega 1280 - That was one in the picture probably won't use except maybe to test things when needed.
    Arduino Due - Not sure - I had issues with my shield with 3.3v/5v conversion. Not sure I will pickup again.
    Chipkit Max32 (PIC32) - Interesting board - IDE still back at arduino 0023 build - Not sure if I will pickup again.

Also not shown in picture is have several Seeeduino Mega boards, some again with my own shields....

May have to have an electronic garage sale.

Yesterday got the PhantomX walking again. Need to do some more testing. Had to renumber 2 servos that had their IDs change. One of them to ID #1 which is not unusual. But had another one change to id: #14. (That is a little more unusual). Maybe I updated servos before and both #12 and #14 were #1 and did not realize it and changed both to #14...

Today, I started to play with it to see how well it can handle Hobby RC servos. Looks like a couple of valid ways. They have updated the Servo Library to work with the Teensy 3. With default maximum of 12 servos. Can potentially bump number up, but that could cause the servo cycle to get longer, which if too long servos will complain...
    If you have 12 servos at center 1.5ms, then the 12 servos would take 18ms to output, which is under 20ms, so you get the 50 refreshes a second. But if they were all at the defined MAX of 2.4ms, we would take about 28.8ms, so we could only refresh about 34.7 times per second.

Another approach is to use the PWM pins. I have experimented some and it also looks valid. They have added a few extra commands to help make this easy:
    Code:
    analogWriteResolution(res); 
    analogWriteFrequency(pwmPin, FREQ);
    May experiment more later with this. Also if I thought it needed more servos, could experiment more with using some of their other timers. But for this board 12 should be more than enough. More than this might need me to update the board again and route VS to some more of the Analog pins....

But not sure how far to take it as I am doing it for my own fun!

Thread Information