Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: PhantomX using a Teensy 3.1

Re: PhantomX using a Teensy 3.1

Sounds good, not sure if I will try using them to mount parts or not. May play with the design and see how much of it can be done using their parts and if it makes sense. Example it may make sense if the main thing you still have to solder on are the connectors. But again I have not started doing any changes to the design yet.

Also I have not yet received the boards fabricated by Seeed. However as of yesterday it sounds like they are in US awaiting customs. Last time I ordered something from Seeed, the next thing I knew that were at my mailbox without no further tracking updates. So hopefully soon. Yesterday I did receive my updated ones from OSHPark. Will try to assemble the first one in the next day or so as to see how well soldering on the stuff to bottom of teensy works.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by KurtEck View Post
    Yesterday I did receive my updated ones from OSHPark. Will try to assemble the first one in the next day or so as to see how well soldering on the stuff to bottom of teensy works.
    Sounds great! Is that the board with the XBee holder (without the Arduino shield stuff)? Looking forward to read about your progress.
    Kåre Halvorsen aka Zenta
    ---------------------------------
    Zenta's YouTube channel
    Zenta's Blog
    Zenta's Instagram

With XBee not not Arduino Shield one. Have not ordered that one yet as not sure I need, also thought I would wait to see if I screwed up any on this one, to fix it.

Also wondering of using the Seeeduino parts for as much as I can, to see how expensive it would be for someone to order 5 with all of the resistors, capacitors, voltage regulators, ... installed.

Kurt

P.S - But it might be a day or two before I can start. 6x6 garden shed kit arrived, need to do foundation for it today and assemble so can move the old chickens temporarily into this one and fix up current chicken coup again, to allow the new chicks (8 couple days old ones arrived yesterday). New chickens will get that one once they are a little bigger, then once they are big enough will mix with the three year old ones. But this is a bit off subject.

Quick update, I have assembled one of the new boards, so far things are working
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Teensy-3.1-breakout-brd-v.0.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	5399
    The picture shows the the first version I built (green Teensy), the one on the right is the one I assembled today, with the Purple Teensy from OSH Park. It is sort of a fun challange to get to solder on the 2x7 rectangle pad to pin adapter to the bottom of the teensy and then have everything align up, such that you can get all of the other pins on the edges of the teensy to go through to the holes on my board. Also fun to solder little wire on bottom of teensy to the reboot bin, and then have the wire go out to connection I have on my board. With this version I sure do have lots of IO pins available to me.

Kurt

If you are already soldering your own Teensy onto the OSH park board, why do you need a carrier? Can't you just put the Teensy parts straight onto your own board?

You are correct. Could go the route of purchasing their interface chip: http://www.pjrc.com/store/ic_mini54_tqfp.html and also buy the appropriate processor (MK20DX256VLH7) and build my own. The issue is soldering skills. I have 10 left thumbs :lol:

Maybe some day I will get brave and try a solder stencil and use a toaster oven (or electric skillet) or the like. if I were a company who wanted to sell these level of boards, that would be the way I would go. Or maybe more like the MicroPython board.

I also had problems with hand soldering tqfp, but a stencil and a toaster oven solved that just fine! The stencil does increase the cost though.

JWatte - Sometime I will breakdown and try that. Earlier Dale one of the owners of Basic Micro, was trying to help me with soldering small pins like this, and sent me a bottle of flux. His advice back then was to drown the pins in flux... But I still did not have much luck.

Today I was going to do some real testing again on the PhantomX Hexapod. But I think there may be a delay
    I was going to start out by first hooking back up the Arbotix processor and try out a couple of things, like the current code base, plus I was going to try it out with Arduino 1.5.6-rc2 with my own hardware directory, which only defines the Variant to get the Pin definitions and then tells the system to use arduino:arduino for the core. This creates Serial1 object and then I can use my serial version of bioloid library and see if it works. (Same code base as I am testing on Teensy).

But when I removed the PhantomX from the 2 CD spindles it was suspended by, I found a problem with the Frame:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PhantomX_bad_bottom.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	5400
    The two pieces of the bottom plate were sitting on the desk below it. Can try to glue, but will see about ordering new bottom (maybe top as well) plates.

Now back to working on shed

Kurt

Images

Wow and the broken areas aren't even where locktite would be. Something is wrong with these body parts. They crumble apart if you look at them wrong. I mean if that's the area that was hanging off the edge of the CD spindles there would be a stress riser there, but still. The body should be able to support the weight of then legs hanging off and moving.

Maybe we should all chip in to design and fab some more robust plates. Carbon fiber?!

10. Re: PhantomX using a Teensy 3.1

Quote Originally Posted by KurtEck View Post
    You are correct. Could go the route of purchasing their interface chip: http://www.pjrc.com/store/ic_mini54_tqfp.html and also buy the appropriate processor (MK20DX256VLH7) and build my own. The issue is soldering skills. I have 10 left thumbs :lol:

Maybe some day I will get brave and try a solder stencil and use a toaster oven (or electric skillet) or the like. if I were a company who wanted to sell these level of boards, that would be the way I would go. Or maybe more like the MicroPython board.
    That's what I did with my MicroPython board, but its a lot of work.

http://blog.huv.com/2014/01/custom-m...hon-board.html for the board design.

http://blog.huv.com/2014/02/micropyt...l-and-new.html for the finished board (revision 1).

I've updated the board to revision 2, which is currently (as of this morning) being shipped to me from SeeedStudio in China. I changed the crystal layout (the one that works is slightly larger than the one I originally chose), as well as the motor drive connectors. The new boards will be white, with black silkscreen.

I ordered the stencil from OSH Stencils ($12.47), and I use a reflow oven to do all the surface mount parts.

- Jon
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay, inventor of Smalltalk

Thread Information