Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mech Warfare Weapons - why AEG airsoft and not lasers?

Mech Warfare Weapons - why AEG airsoft and not lasers?

Hi,

This is probably a dumb, many time asked and answered question, but due to a magnetic field issue I have with AEG motors affecting an onboard compass it got me thinking about alternative options for "weaponising" mechs.

I know we all like shooting stuff with physical "pellets", it's fun to see something like a coke can knocked over for example, but surely robots and lasers go hand in hand, so why not mech warfare with lasers as weapons and photo diodes for sensing panels? Granted a decent laser that works in daylight conditions. Better looking aesthetically than a hacked AEG gun and lighter to boot.

Am I missing something, probably!
    Last edited by Grumpybeard; 01-23-2014 at 01:14 PM.

Re: Mech Warfare Weapons - why AEG airsoft and not lasers?

I think the usual consensus on that has been that physical projectiles are more visual and therefore more desirable. I see what you mean though. Actually, I have a pretty good idea for detectors that could be used. I designed them for another project. Again though, the consensus and rules will probably continue to favor pellets.

3. Re: Mech Warfare Weapons - why AEG airsoft and not lasers?

Well, if you use lasers *every single person in the room* has to be wearing proper eye protection at all times, no?

"Do not stare into laser with remaining good eye."
    --
    Jay R. Ashworth - k-9 Mk42 (early design) - St Pete FL US
    Election Day Holiday Petition - Blog - Twitter - IANAEE
    Try to Ask Questions The Smart Way -- you'll get better answers.

Put your project description in your profile/signature - All opinions strictly my own.
    If you [SOLVE] something, please tell everyone how for the archives
    And, please... read what people write, and answer the questions they asked, not the ones they didn't.

Of course eye safety is very important, but I understand a lot of mechs already use lasers to assist in targeting their AEG's? Perhaps a more powerful laser required as a primary weapon in daylight conditions would impede spectator safety or cause mech damage?

The clack of airsoft guns in action along with the pinging of pellets flying everywhere certainly adds to the ambience, however so too would laser beams and individually rendered weapon sounds from a combatant's control station. Maybe I've just watched one too many sci-fi's!

Is it a question of cost, safety, technical implementation, realism or "that's the way it is"? Hoping some experienced MW veterens will be along to confirm my stupidity or enlighten.
    Last edited by Grumpybeard; 01-23-2014 at 04:05 PM.

Most worry about visibility, but I do know that there's smoke that laser rooms use that doesn't impede vision but a laser pointer will show up clear as day.

My impression is that the physical projectiles add significantly to the experience. Laser beams wouldn't be particularly visible, and would have no panache.

In addition to previously mentioned things, I believe lasers would take away from the engineering challenge a little. It would probably be quite a bit easier to stick a laser on a turret, than building a robot capable of supporting a airsoft gun, and solving all of the problems that airsoft guns bring along (jams, power, EMI, scoring system, hopper, aiming, ammo, reliability, etc...)

Just my $0.02

Edit:
    Although I think it would be the best thing ever if sometime in the future we had a night ops deal, add fog, laser beams, night vision cameras, tracer bbs.
    Last edited by Deimos; 01-23-2014 at 06:07 PM.

8. Re: Mech Warfare Weapons - why AEG airsoft and not lasers?

To add to all that has already been said, another point that might be a problem is that MW is FPV based, and lasers can kill your camera sensor :/

Example : http://vimeo.com/13450755

On the implementation, some people have already done similar stuff, for example using ping pong balls with a sensor inside as targets on robotic zombie hordes.
    ---
    Personal blog: http://xevel.org
    USB2AX documentation: http://xevelabs.com

That laser destroying the canon sensor, ouch! Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Deimos View Post
    Edit:
    Although I think it would be the best thing ever if sometime in the future we had a night ops deal, add fog, laser beams, night vision cameras, tracer bbs.
    Yes please.

Thread Information