Thread: Shapeways SNAFU

Shapeways SNAFU

On Feb 2, I made some slight updates to the airsoft gun parts on Shapeways: tighten up some openeings that ended up bigger in the Shapeways print than when printing at home, and add a small flat for holding the slide sensor for my gun controller board. I ordered a print.
    On Feb 3, they sent me a message that the pieces were on the way to the printer, and I could expect them to be shipped on Feb 12 (I had paid for 2-day shipping.)
    Today, the 17th, they send me a message saying that they canceled my order, because their content policy is to not print "gun parts." (Note that I printed these twice before, including a thin-wall hold resolved by their people, without any problems.)
    And, interestingly, they canceled all the parts of the order... except for the most complex piece, the "Gun Nozzle" (note that the others don't have the word "gun" in the title!)

Clearly, someone there is confused, so I've replied to them asking for fixing this, and until I hear back from them, I suggest hold off on ordering.

Images

Re: Shapeways SNAFU

Ha interesting. A story was in the news a couple weeks ago about 3D printed guns being snuck through metal detectors, so I guess i can see where they're coming from.

I guess it's time for some creative part names.

Re: Shapeways SNAFU

"Mech Replica Parts A through F"

Thread Information