Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 uno's one mega now what?

Re: 3 uno's one mega now what?

You can totally use the boards you have. You can use the motor board as a power on/off switch. The main point is wiring it all correctly.
    You can probably get away with just one Uno or one Mega, even, plus the shield. Use the other Uno for the remote control. You'd need to add some Xbees, though.

2. Re: 3 uno's one mega now what?

Thank you for the positive feedback. On a different note I have been looking into the communication portion of this project and have seen the xbee type I did want to know if there are any cheaper alternatives? Again jwatte thank you for your valued input.

Two Xbees (series 1) are probably about as cheap as you can go and have it be reliable (although you still need a "explorer" or "shield" carrier)
    Alternative options may include:
    - nRF24L01 based modules, like http://imall.iteadstudio.com/wireless/im120606003.html (SPI based, not serial-port-based)
    - RC plane sender/receiver based controllers, like http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdId=SPM5510 (decoding these robustly on an Arduino is a pain)
    - WiFi shield, assuming you already have a laptop to do the control from

4. Re: 3 uno's one mega now what?

Nrf24l looks interesting the spectrum is a bit price heavy , thanks for the suggestion with the nrf24l would I require two for my project? Also are two wifi shields necessary? If I only require one I assume it would go inside the project. Thank you again for your help on this subject.

The NRF24L is cheaper, but it is harder to program. Yes, you need two: One for the remote control side, and one for the robot side.
    For a WiFi shield, you only need one, assuming that the house where you're using this has a WiFi base station (router) that your controlling computer/laptop is connected to.
    Again, I would actually recommend the Xbee modules. They are much easier to work with if you're not used to embedded programming.

6. Re: 3 uno's one mega now what?

Thank you again jwatte for the insight. I did happen to see some xbee wifi units and other 2.4 ghz components on a sight called babyhood.com some of the items even in the dollar range! I was curious to know your opinion on the 2.4 pieces also your view on this Bluetooth xbee. Again your help has been great,thank you again.

some of the items even in the dollar range
    In my experience with those kinds of sites and technologies, you typically get approximately what you pay for.
    If the gear is authentic and high quality, then shipping, returns, and support is probably not that great.
    But to get to dollar range, you have to compromise both on the gear and on the support...

8. Re: 3 uno's one mega now what?

I understand about the quality I have purchased items from China before to my dismay. My query was as to if it would be possible to use some of the products on the banggood.com site for use in my son and mine's project at least for testing purposes and if I were to try these 2.4ghz units or xbee Bluetooth tooth units how would it be possible to connect them to our current project? Thanks again for the thoughtful responses jwatte.

Thread Information