Thread: Udoo + usb2ax

Images

Udoo + usb2ax

I've got a UDOO running Ubuntu. I'm looking to use it with the USB2AX. This is probably a question for Xevel, but maybe some others doing single board computers with the USB2AX have run into similar.

I can plug it in, and the LED is green. However, it does not result in anything being added to /dev/tty___. I checked with a FTDI board from Sparkfun, and it adds a ttyUSB device as expected. I did add my login to the dialout user group. The USB2AX does add the expected ttyACM device in Ubuntu on my Surface Pro.

Am I correct in inferring from here that I need to look into recompiling the Linux kernel with some tweaked options? Or are ther other things I should try first?

Thanks!

Images

Re: Udoo + usb2ax

What does dmesg report when you plug it in?

Images

Ahh yes, I forgot about my dmesg testing of a couple days ago. I've only gone so far as dmesg > file before and after plugging in, and diff'ing the files (aka I didn't investigate what exactly dmesg is...). I am a hardware noob in Linux.

What I am seeing is:

Code:
    ubuntu at udoo in ~
    $ diff delme2 delme3
    1,2d0
    < r 0
    < [    9.136840] fb_videomode = 60 1024 768 15384 160 24 29 3 136 6 0 0 32
    242a241
    > [340706.206964] usb 2-1.2: new full speed USB device number 9 using fsl-ehci

Looks like it creates: ttyACMx files

From Xevel's website: http://www.xevelabs.com/doku.php?id=...ith_the_usb2ax

What's going on? The Dynamixel SDK assumes the interface is FTDI-based, and thus searches a device named ttyUSBx, while the USB2AX uses the integrated CDC/ACM driver - which names the device ttyACMx. The second problem is that after opening the device, the Dynamixel SDK tries to set parameters which do not exist in the CDC/ACM driver.

Kurt

Images

Check the contents of '/lib/modules/<kernel version>/kernel/drivers/usb/class'. There should be a file named 'cdc-acm.ko' if the kernel has cdc support. The USB2AX should show up just the same as any ATmega8U2/4 equipped Arduino like the Uno or the programming usb port of a Due. Just checked with my netbook, and the cdc_acm module was not auto-load until after I plugged in a CM-900. To see if the module has been loaded, use 'lsmod | grep cdc' which should produce some output similar to 'cdc_acm 26991 2'.
    Last edited by tician; 04-09-2014 at 01:10 AM.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh
    more bleh

6. Re: Udoo + usb2ax

Yeah, that.
    This guy says that the CDC ACM driver is not included in the kernel of the Linaro Ubuntu 12.04 LTS of the UDOO, and show what are presumably the step to fix that.
    ---
    Personal blog: http://xevel.org
    USB2AX documentation: http://xevelabs.com

Images

Thanks guys! Hopefully I pull this off this weekend

Two more helpful Linux utilities:

lsusb: print all recognized USB devices

sudo udevadm monitor: show hotplug events when they happen, which will show you what the kernel finds out about your device (including what device driver it loads)

Images

Victory today! It was of course fraught with stuff not working on the first try, as always happens with Saturday Afternoon Linux Fun. Xevel's link worked great; I just had to acquire the mkimage binary in a different manner (left a comment on the guide for doing that), and then remember to add myself to the dialout group again (since I did a clean install on a separate uSD card).

Now if I can recapture my initial inspiration of a month ago and actually do something...

Thread Information