Views:	809 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	5523
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-04-26_23-03-42_610.jpg 
Views:	709 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	5522

I plan on layering light material (foamboard or metal) over the middle deck (easier to see it in second pic).

However, I have no clue where BB's normally hit in a match, so I am asking if you 'mech vets could let me know if you guys see any other places that would be a good idea to add some "armor" to.

BTW, he is walking:

Re: Mech Armor

That's really cute!

My take on armor/cladding so far is "I don't want the weight if I can avoid it." Other than the LiPo battery, there really isn't anything that is sensitive to pressure enough that BBs could damage it. The BBs are lightweight plastic and can't carry a whole lot of energy. I could be proven wrong, though...

If those white legs are 3D printed plastic, then maybe they are thin enough that a barrage of BBs could crack them -- that's the first thing I would worry about after making sure the LiPo battery has some protection.

3. Re: Mech Armor

Nice!

In terms of protection, I would suggest the battery like jwatte, but also all electronics. If a BB hits an SMD resistor for example, the BB is going to win. You don't need metal plates for that though, anything that will not be penetrated by the BB should be good enough, go with the lighter material you have around that fits the bill.
    Cables should not be much of a problem but I would also protect small connectors just in case.

You still have the gun to put on it, and it's weight enough, don't add anything heavy that you can avoid.
    ---
    Personal blog: http://xevel.org
    USB2AX documentation: http://xevelabs.com

Okay. Already planning on covering the middle deck (electronics) but will cover the battery as well. Foamcore board it is then. Thanks

PS: Jwatte, no 3d printing for me. Those feet are hand shaped PCL.
    Last edited by ArduTank; 04-27-2014 at 07:42 AM.

Anybody measured how much force those AEGs put out?? I would rather not have another mech equipped with an AEG shred my armor.

6. Re: Mech Armor

I haven't tested, and I can't talk for all the guns that could be used, but I would expect serious damage to thin foamcore used 'as is' in the worst case scenario (multiple point blank shots perpendicular to the surface).

If I were you, I would :
    - add some kind of tear-resistant adhesive tape on the outside of the armor to compound the effects (vinyl tape? duct tape? maybe some tape with fibers in it...)
    - make two or 3 sets of plates in case it is damaged too badly during the competition
    - when you arrive at the competition, find someone with a powerful gun and test. If it's not enough, maybe double the plates or add more tape.
    ---
    Personal blog: http://xevel.org
    USB2AX documentation: http://xevelabs.com

Images

3mm (1/8") polypropylene twinwall available at most big box stores survives the manual mode of a crosman M74DP fired point-blank and perpendicular without the slightest visible damage. The plastic is less prone to tearing than the paper of foam-core and maybe also be a bit easier to build the walls of a box to surround the electronics and turret than if you were using <0.25" foam-core.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    [git][mech][hack]
    gives free advice only on public threads

I've been mounting my electronics with the "back" side out, to protect the components.
    But from what you say, perhaps a thermoformed lightweight PETG or polycarb shell isn't such a bad idea...

I'm using 1/4" foamcore board mainly because I have three full sheets of it, and I'm still working on getting the money for an airsoft gun (likely that m74dp you mentioned). I guess I'll try double layers of the foamboard with a duct tape outer layer, and have Tyberius hit a sample of it with Envy's guns, which appear to be some of the most powerful allowed ones used so far.

Images

I tested out foam-core with my first mech and it didn't stand up to well being shot from 6' away with a gun that's not as powerful as the AEGs. An AEG shooting fully automatic would shred it pretty quickly unless you reinforced it like Xevel suggests. What I used was 2mm card stock. It's basically cardboard, but it is hard enough to withstand a pretty good beating and can also be reinforced with your favourite form of tape. It also held up very well to all the falling involved in building a biped.

Thread Information