Thread: Saleae is coming out with a new family of Logic Analyzers that include Analog

Saleae is coming out with a new family of Logic Analyzers that include Analog

Normally I don't push products, but thought some up here may be interested in the new family of logic analyzers that Saleae (https://www.saleae.com/) is introducing.
    In addition to digital input, they now are supporting Analog inputs, which can be very useful.

For me the Logic Analyzer is the 2nd most important test hardware I have. The first is a simple multimeter, almost any decent simple (Voltage, Resistance) one should do.

I currently both have the original logic and an Logic 16. One or both of them are setting on my Desk at all times. Currently the Logic 8 is connected to Teensy breakout board with shields, that has XBee and Adafruit 1.8" TFT shields on it. I am using it to help debug updates to to my DIY XBee protocol changes. Will probably hook up 2nd one to old DIY remote (with BAP28) today, to see that side. Note: can only use one at a time on a single computer, but will plug 2nd one into Intel NUC running Ubuntu 14.04. I.e. there software supports Linux as well.

As you can probably tell, I like these products. I will probably pick up a new one. As I already have most things covered, may get the simple 4 input one, to handle the cases where I need to track a voltage. Example: does my Microcontroller reset? Might be nice to hook up analog to input voltage and see if you get voltage drop... But am tempted to get the new 8 input one...

Sorry for product plug

Re: Saleae is coming out with a new family of Logic Analyzers that include Analog

I also like the Logic a lot. I have the original 8 (which doesn't have the analog inputs.)
    It's a must-have for any robotics hobbyist, because it lets you see what the heck is going on!

3. Re: Saleae is coming out with a new family of Logic Analyzers that include Analog

Ditto.
    I have both old versions, and the new ones look great. I don't need 3 of them though so I'm not sure if I should get a new one...

Maybe I should resell one of the old ones... but the Logic (the one with 8 inputs) has seen 2 USB port changes already, I would feel bad selling refurbished stuff (plus it's the first generation one, without the rubber backing that makes it stay in place on your desk...).
    ---
    Personal blog: http://xevel.org
    USB2AX documentation: http://xevelabs.com

Re: Saleae is coming out with a new family of Logic Analyzers that include Analog

I know the feeling. I don't need 3 of them either. But my 8 port one is from 2008, the usb connector I think is starting to get a little temperamental (sometimes got to wiggle a little to make it work.) But other than that have never had problems. I was thinking of picking up one of the 4s as there are times I would like to watch a voltage line to see if or how much it drops. But the new 8 would be nice.

Kurt

I really like the idea of USB 3.0 too... but I'd have to go for the "pro" version to get that.

Images

Great product for sure! I was hoping they would add a real-time viewer, and it looks like they are planing to add that feature too.
    Kåre Halvorsen aka Zenta
    ---------------------------------
    Zenta's YouTube channel
    Zenta's Blog
    Zenta's Instagram

Yes that would be a nice addition. (I broke down and pre-ordered a new 8), may have to sell off my old 8 for some nice low price when I get it.

Images

So does this thing replace a majority of needs for a oscope?

9. Re: Saleae is coming out with a new family of Logic Analyzers that include Analog

Some needs, but definitely nothing "fast". With a bandwidth between 600kHz and 5MHz for the pro versions, and a range of 0 to 5V, real oscilloscopes are not threatened.
    This doesn't mean that it's useless though. Having a view of the analog voltages of an I2C bus might be very useful to see for example that that component with too much capacitance f*cks everything up (had the problem not so long ago... in these cases a logic analyzer is close to useless to troubleshoot, and the analog view of the signal immediately makes it clear).
    Looking at the voltage sag of the power supply when you turn something on can be another case where it's useful (why does my mcu reset when I switch this mosfet ???).
    ---
    Personal blog: http://xevel.org
    USB2AX documentation: http://xevelabs.com

Thread Information