Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arbotix ros of arduino code verification problem

1. Arbotix ros of arduino code verification problem

Hi all, I want to upload my arbotix_ros firmware to board, and I use Arduino 1.0.5, ROS groovy, and mac os. I did everything in "http://wiki.ros.org/arbotix_firmware?distro=hydro"(I use groovy). I firstly copy three directories in package arbotix-master() to directory Arduino in Document(I use mac os). Then I copy directories in arbotix-0015/arbotix/ to Document/Arduino/ArbotiX Sketches, which replaced original files and directories. Finally I copy file and directories in robocontroller-0010 to Document/Arduino/ArbotiX Sketches/libraries/. After doing this I replace files in ArbotiX Sketches/ros with my own files in arbotix_firmware package(arbotix driver for ROS). But when I open the ros.ino and verify it(I chosen the board arbotix), I just got one error "ros.cpp: In function 'void setup()':
    ros:94: error: 'class Motors2' has no member named 'init'". I cannot understand why this error can happen. If anyone know how to solve this please help me, thanks!

--yantian

2. Re: Arbotix ros of arduino code verification problem

And I found that it's after importing files from robocontroller package that caused this problem. If I don't import the robocontroller thing, verification was right.

Images

Re: Arbotix ros of arduino code verification problem

Since the ros wiki for the arbotix is still pointing to the google code website, I'm guessing the installation procedure has not been updated in quite a while. The updated arbotix libraries and hardware files are at https://github.com/vanadiumlabs/arbotix . The contents of the 'arbotix/libraries' folder should go into the 'Documents/Arduino/libraries' folder (should have 'Documents/Arduino/libraries/Bioloid', etc.) and the 'arbotix/hardware' folder contents should go into the 'Documents/Arduino/hardware' folder (should have 'Documents/Arduino/hardware/arbotix/cores', etc.).
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    [git][mech][hack]
    gives free advice only on public threads

4. Re: Arbotix ros of arduino code verification problem

I tried to place arbotix libraries and hardwares at what you said, but the problem still exists. I investigated the arbotiX-0015 and the robocontroller-0010, and found that robocontroller-0010 was released in 2010 while arbotix-0015 was in 2012. But according to ROS wiki we should use robocontroller to cover arbotiX. Use the old thing to cover the new thing? That's strange. I posted a new thread to detailed describe this question. Note that there is no problem before I use robocontroller-0010 to cover the ArbotiX-0015, as what the ROS wiki's third step said. Thanks so much!

Images

Did you download the new arbotix zip file from github and remove all the arbotix-0015 and robocontroller-0010 files from your sketchbook and arduino-1.0.5 folders? Do not use anything from arbotix-0015 or robocontroller-0010; the files from the google-code site are all entirely deprecated.

1) Go to https://github.com/vanadiumlabs/arbotix_ros and click the 'download zip' button on the right side of the screen (make sure it is hydro-devel branch).
    2) Copy the arbotix_firmware folder to your sketchbook.
    3) Move the files in the 'src' folder within arbotix_firmware up one level into the arbotix_firmware folder ('arbotix_firmware/ros.ino', etc.) then rename 'arbotix_firmware' folder and/or 'ros.ino' to match the other ('ros/ros.ino', 'arbotix_firmware/arbotix_firmware.ino', 'arbotix_ros_firmware/arbotix_ros_firmware.ino', etc.).
    4) Go to https://github.com/vanadiumlabs/arbotix and click the 'download zip' button on the right side of the screen.
    5) Copy the libraries and hardware folders to your sketchbook.
    6) Close all instances of Arduino IDE.
    7) Restart the Arduino-1.0.5 IDE, open the ros example sketch in the sketchbook, and verify the sketch. You should get no warnings or errors except a few two-line warnings related to USB_VID/USB_PID that are not relevant.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    [git][mech][hack]

6. Re: Arbotix ros of arduino code verification problem

Thanks for your kind reply. But I cannot catch your 1) step: "make sure it is hydro-devel branch", because I'm using Groovy, and I cannot understand why Hydro devel is essential. Maybe you assumed that I'm using Hydro? Note that there is no important change in "changes list".
    Last edited by zhayantian; 05-03-2014 at 01:53 AM.

Images

hydro-devel is the most up-to-date version and least likely to have any issues now or in the immediate future. It has catkinized packages that should be backward-compatible with groovy since groovy has catkin, and there should be nothing in the firmware code (which does not use catkin or rosbuild to compile) to cause any incompatibilities with any groovy packages.
    [git][mech][hack]

8. Re: Arbotix ros of arduino code verification problem

Thanks, verification has been succeeded and there was no warnings.

9. Re: Arbotix ros of arduino code verification problem

I'm having exactly the same problems as the OP with a new twist. I deleted all the files that were created using the ROS wiki (lack of) instructions. I followed tician's instructions. At least now I'm not missing libraries. Now I'm only having a ton of compile errors related to undeclared variables and a ton of other junk that appears to just be bugs. Why is the code so messed up? Does anyone actually have this working with ROS indigo? Is arbotix dead? Thanks in advance.

Images

What OS and version? What version of the Arduino IDE? Does the arbotix show up as a board option in the IDE? Is the correct board selected?
    [git][mech][hack]

Thread Information