Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mech Warfare 2014 Update

Images

Mech Warfare 2014 Update

Hey guys,

Simply put, Mech Warfare 2014 is going to have to be pushed back a year. With the loss of Robogames as a venue, hosting our own event is a massive undertaking that I simply do not have the free time to coordinate. I have no real venue option at the moment (that doesn't require a good amount of monetary investment), and I am completely emerged in a massive project for a client here at work until end of September at the earliest. I am still planning on hosting a Chicago based event, but it will not be until Summer of 2015. This gives me more breathing room to secure a proper venue, funding, and reorganize the existing ruleset into something a bit more streamlined.

Sorry to any of you disappointed by this news. We ran the event for 5 consecutive years and I don't plan on stopping now. Use this year off to work on your mech tech, practice, or pitch in to community driven projects. I'm going to be doing a dump of all things scoring system related to the Mech Warfare Github in the near future, with the hope that we can get some things refined/rebuilt for the future of our competition.

Re: Mech Warfare 2014 Update

Bummer. Thanks for keeping it going. Looking forward to 2015!

Ouch. Still, I don't have to rush my mech together anymore.

I wonder if there would be enough interest in a NorCal event around Halloween to make it worth it?
    We could probably get cheap venue space for something smaller at a place like Tech Shop.

Unfortunately, Cali's too far away. Otherwise, I'd be interested.

6. Re: Mech Warfare 2014 Update

As with jwatte, we have access to a free (or sponsored) venue here in Boston, MA. Of course, being on the other coast, it probably makes travel hard for just as many people. That said, we'd certainly be game to host an expo or mini-tournament in the fall for those who were interested.

Images

Thanks for the update Tybs!

I've done absolutely nothing MW-related in the past year except minimal progress on playing with an ARM-based board :/

I'm based in New York, but I would be happy to fly or drive out to an event in either of those locations.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jpieper View Post
    As with jwatte, we have access to a free (or sponsored) venue here in Boston, MA. Of course, being on the other coast, it probably makes travel hard for just as many people. That said, we'd certainly be game to host an expo or mini-tournament in the fall for those who were interested.

I have friends at Artisans Asylum, which is in Boston. Certainly a possibility.

10. Re: Mech Warfare 2014 Update

Yep, I was probably going to propose the Jaybridge offices in Cambridge for purely selfish reasons. I am already there everyday so it would make organizing a lot easier.

We have two spaces which could be converted into arenas relatively cheaply as they have walls on three sides already. I was thinking you could just hang polycarb on the walls from drywall anchors to protect the drywall and only have to build a single wall to fence off the area. One of the spaces has tile, but probably only has setup room for 4 or 5 teams. The other has low commercial carpet (and we could probably put down something temporarily on top of it), but easily has room for more than a dozen teams to set up and mingle.

Thread Information