Thread: feeling woozy... need sleep.

Images

feeling woozy... need sleep.

Been working a bit on a potential connector assembly for some swappable battery packs / power plugs, and just wondering if anyone else thinks the layout of the PCB to hold the 4mm barrel pins and spring-loaded pins for the link-side looks like some creepy zombie comic character.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot - 05252014 - 03:09:43 AM.png 
Views:	259 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	5598
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh

Re: feeling woozy... need sleep.

I like it! Get some sleep.
    -
    A little learning is a dangerous thing.

it already has the hockey mask; all it needs now is a chainsaw.

What's wrong with Deans or XT-60?

Images

Going for more than just a plain battery connection. Since the initial plan was to add a variable output dc-dc converter to an autonomously swapped pack, it has two pins for CAN comms, two AUX power pins (AUX0 5V1A and AUX1 at 5V1A or 12V1A), one ground pin (uses two wires to help isolate CAN from AUX noise since not twisted pair, and better carry load from AUX supplies), two isolated 4mm pins (allows potential for use of <60VAC, if needed), and a sense/security pin to let the unit know a new cable has been fully inserted and/or ensure the locking collar is fully engaged.

Currently, the plug side is probably going to use mill-max 0908-0 spring pins (rated 1M cycles and 2A) with 28AWG 1x6 0.05"-pitch continuous flex silicone wire for comms and AUX power, and 4mm banana/split-cylinder barrel pins with 12AWG continuous flex silicone wire for main power. The socket/device side uses flat contacts (PCB or dedicated pin/turret) and 4mm ID barrel (PCB or dedicated socket). Working on a 24mmID/30mmOD collar with ~40mm OD locking teeth/keys (1/6~1/4-turn) to enable the packs and cables to be locked securely into the bot without additional hardware. Also thinking I will be removing the sense/security pin to make it a 24mm D-shape with a 2~3mm thick flat to ensure alignment since I cannot think of any uses requiring that signal on the face of the connector that could not be accomplished with either spring pins in the socket and a conductive patch on the collar or just a photointerrupter.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh

Sounds expensive :-) I'm continuously annoyed at how large a piece of the budget of any device goes to connectors and buttons, compared to the internal board/logic. Gates are cheap; Newtons are not...

Thread Information