Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ROS Hydro, Hokuyo UR-04LX and BBB

1. ROS Hydro, Hokuyo UR-04LX and BBB

so i'm working on a new project involving BeagleBone Black and Hokuyo URG-04LX, and i've installed Angstrom and ROS Hydro to help. I'm trying to install hokuyo driver but i can't find it, can anyone help? where can i get hokuyo URG-04LX driver?

Images

Re: ROS Hydro, Hokuyo UR-04LX and BBB

If there is a pre-compiled package for it, it will be named something like 'ros-hydro-urg-node'. If there is nothing pre-compiled, you will have to do it yourself from source. It depends on the urg_c library, so you will have to also get that as a package or build it from source.

Using Ubuntu ARM is recommended for the BeagleBone Black as there are far more pre-compiled ros packages available for it than most other experimental platforms for ros.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh

3. Re: ROS Hydro, Hokuyo UR-04LX and BBB

Quote Originally Posted by tician View Post
    If there is a pre-compiled package for it, it will be named something like 'ros-hydro-urg-node'. If there is nothing pre-compiled, you will have to do it yourself from source. It depends on the urg_c library, so you will have to also get that as a package or build it from source.

Using Ubuntu ARM is recommended for the BeagleBone Black as there are far more pre-compiled ros packages available for it than most other experimental platforms for ros.
    thanks for replying, this is my first time joining a forum like this.

so i've download the urg_node from the link u give me using "git clone git://github.com/ros-drivers/urg_node.git" , i'm checking it using "cd urg_node/" and i can change the directory, means it has been downloaded properly, what should i do next?

i'm sorry for asking to much, i'm completely new to ROS and BBB....

Images

If you do not have any experience with ROS and do not know how to build software from source, then you really should look into using Ubuntu for the BBBk. It will make it much less frustrating to learn ROS and the catkin build system, because ROS has a very steep learning curve. Tracking down source for, and having to manually build, core packages will make it a lot more difficult and time consuming than it already will be learning to use the BBBk.

If you are determined not to use Ubuntu: the urg_node package is 'wet' (catkin ready), so you should be able to just follow the build process detailed in the catkin tutorials. You will first need to run 'rospack depends urg_node' to check for any missing packages you have to install from source. urg_c and laser_proc were the only two I needed, but I have lots of other ros packages already installed from the pre-compiled package management system on an AMD64 Ubuntu 12.04 system.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    bleh

Images

Just a quick check of your coding skills.... How much do you have? Based off the below comment it seems like you are very new to all this. Just wanted to get a baseline on your skill level.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_05 View Post
    i'm checking it using "cd urg_node/" and i can change the directory, means it has been downloaded properly, what should i do next?

6. Re: ROS Hydro, Hokuyo UR-04LX and BBB

okay thanks a lot, maybe i'll consider using Ubuntu now...at first i thought using Angstrom is easier than ubuntu, but looks like i was wrong XD....thanks once again

7. Re: ROS Hydro, Hokuyo UR-04LX and BBB

well you can say that i only had 20% knowledge for this new things(ROS, Ubuntu, etc)....well this project emerge because my tutor in univ buy a new hokuyo URG-04LX, and ask me to learn about it. i'm sorry if my question annoy you

Note: there are many of us who are also pretty green up here when it comes to Linux and ROS. I personally need to redo all of the tutorials and the like on using ROS. Waiting for Ros Indigo to be officially released. Do have it installed on a PC running Ubuntu 14.04 and all of it appears to install now...

For BBB specific questions, have you looked at the BBB forums? http://beagleboard.org/Community/Forums

As Tician mentioned, probably a lot easier to try it out with Ubuntu. Personally I also much prefer their newer default image that is Debian over their earlier default image of Angstrom. But I have not done much with my BBBk for awhile.

Good Luck

9. Re: ROS Hydro, Hokuyo UR-04LX and BBB

okay so i've take Tician advise for using Ubuntu, i'm using Ubuntu 13.04 Raring in my BBBk. i'm trying to install ROS Hydro by following the tutorial from http://wiki.ros.org/hydro/Installation/Ubuntu. But when i write sudo apt-get install ros-hydro-desktop, it replies with Unable to locate package ros-hydro-desktop. any suggestion how to solve this problem? thanks

you probably should be following the tutorial for installing on Ubuntu Arm: http://wiki.ros.org/hydro/Installation/UbuntuARM
    My guess is that for most of these smaller linux installs, they do not include all of the desktop packages...

Thread Information