Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: First steps for Super Mega Microbot

Images

Re: First steps for Super Mega Microbot

Cool!
    01001001001000000100110001101111011101100110010100 10000001010010011011110110001001101111011101000111 0011

My Instagram
    My YouTube

& with the addition of a single rangefinder & an IK calc you could even fix the vertical error caused by changing the distance to the target. OMFG! Humans are doomed..... Amazing work though. Scary, but amazing.

3. Re: First steps for Super Mega Microbot

Quote Originally Posted by Slugman View Post
    & with the addition of a single rangefinder & an IK calc you could even fix the vertical error caused by changing the distance to the target.
    Our actual plan is to use the camera feed itself to keep locked onto a target during translation. We're doing the IP camera part ourselves, and our camera spits out simultaneously an h264 stream that we send over the wireless and an uncompressed stream for use on the robot. With any luck, I'll even get to it before the next event!

Ooohhh. Manually activated target-tracking.....
    Yeah, still not reducing the scariness.

Images

I like it! Though I fear for the well-being of those servos :-/ Add some springs maybe?

We're doing the IP camera part ourselves, and our camera spits out simultaneously an h264 stream that we send over the wireless and an uncompressed stream for use on the robot
    That's cool! I did the same thing for Money Pit 3 last year, on the Raspberry Pi (its camera/GPU integration is actually quite powerful, if you find the right bits to poke at it!)

still not reducing the scariness

7. Re: First steps for Super Mega Microbot

And I've now got a more detailed write-up at: http://joshp.no-ip.com:8080/blog/rob...ed-turret.html

MacroFab guilted me into writing it up... They haven't paid me anything, but I figured I owed them some public recognition for their great work at incredible prices.

Images

Holy badassery.

9. Re: First steps for Super Mega Microbot

We did a scrimmage last night between the two versions of Super Mega Microbot to check out how things were working. Here are the final two matches where everything was actually working.

10. Re: First steps for Super Mega Microbot

An update:

Our concept had been to have a moderately capable computer on board so as to do computer vision, and use 5GHz wifi to get HD quality video back to the control station. On paper that worked when we competed in 2016, but in practice it was problematic. We used an odroid U3 in the body of the mech, and connected a webcam and 5GHz wifi transceiver over USB. When it worked, it was awesome, however, USB being USB, meant that at the least opportune times, one of the camera or the wifi adapter would fall off the bus, which kinda made the thing pointless.

Fast forward 2.5 years, and the raspberry pi 3b+ came out, with integrated 5GHz wifi and a non-USB camera interface onboard. I've got a draft mechanical mounting of the rpi in the turret of super mega micro bot, all our software cross compiling for the rpi (it doesn't have enough RAM to compile it onboard like we did for the odroid), and a vision based tracker which without much tuning works reliably out to 15ft. This video only shows 10ft, but that's just what I could fit in the video frame.

Thread Information