Thread: Meet HelloSpoon, a cute little robot I'm working on that could help children and elderly :-)!

Meet HelloSpoon, a cute little robot I'm working on that could help children and elderly :-)!

Hello everybody,

my name is Luis García and I'm the developer behind HelloSpoon robot.
    What is HelloSpoon robot? Well, HelloSpoon robot is an affordable mobile-based robot intended to spend with children with upper limb difficulties, special needs, and elderly three of the most important times in the day for all of us (meal, breakfast, dinner).

Here's a little test video I made a couple days ago to test if HelloSpoon is safe enough for actually test it with children and elderly. Please take a look for you too see how it behave :-)

Just some technical information about HelloSpoon:
    HelloSpoon main core is a mobile application which makes it fully configurable and very affordable, one Arduino-like board the OpenCM-9.04 from Robotis and a robotic trunk created with Dynamixel XL-320.
    I've been working on HelloSpoon since the past year using Dynamixel Ax-12 but as the intention is create an affordable solution I have almost half year designing this new version with XL-320, and you can see how it behaves (finally) today :-)

Hope you like it and feel free to comment, leave feedback, say what you like, what you hate and most important if you like... please share it so more people can see that HelloSpoon is being made :-).

Thanks.

Images

Re: Meet HelloSpoon, a cute little robot I'm working on that could help children and elderly :-)!

That is awesome!

I would probably get tired of hearing the music and clapping with each bite, but seriously this is a cool project.

DB

Re: Meet HelloSpoon, a cute little robot I'm working on that could help children and elderly :-)!

Quote Originally Posted by darkback2 View Post
    That is awesome!

I would probably get tired of hearing the music and clapping with each bite, but seriously this is a cool project.

DB
    Thanks DB!
    Well, that is able to deactivated for older users if they want to.
    That feature while it's loved by kids, some grown ups hate it or love it.
    But it's optional, so you can change the flags in a settings screen :-)

Thanks DB!

The audio (voice, cheering, music) can be turned on/off from a settings page if the user doesn't want to hear all of that or just gets tired (which might happen and is normal) at the end of the day it's a mobile app attached to a robot :-)

Images

No...really I think it is very cool. How is the mobile app communicating with the robot if you don't mind my asking? Is it through a website/tcp? Blue tooth? Wondering if I couldn't get something like this running with my robots.

DB

It's communicating through Bluetooth, but also HelloSpoon is a cloud robot. To achieve the cloud communication I'm using GCM (Google Cloud Messaging) to communicate with the robot from anywhere in the world :-).

Images

I've been watching your development on G+ the past couple months. Glad to see you on the Trossen forums sharing it. Good work!

ooh that's great :-)!

Well, I believe I have developed something interesting enough to start sharing it with other people over the internet hehe
    Still working really hard to improve it!

Just as a quick update, here's a video showing the improvements to the UI so turn on/off some behaviors that could be something repetitive with the time is much easier and user friendly :-)

Well, I just want to share a video highlighting the children reactions !
    Meet Marisol and Jazmin, two cute little girls who accepted to try HelloSpoon without even know him (their parents accepted too).

Marisol is a 5 years old kid with Down Syndrome, and Jazmin is her older 7 years old sister who doesn't feel very excited when you say the word "robot".

I hope you enjoy this unique video

A new video focus on a real user and showing how his life is being improved by HelloSpoon will be finished soon
    !

Thread Information