Thread: Just bought Arbotix-M : Is there a newer manual out? Any problems with it from other owners?

1. Just bought Arbotix-M : Is there a newer manual out? Any problems with it from other owners?

Hello. I just purchased an ArbotiX Robocontroller Starter Kit from Trossen.
    1. I'm a little concerned that I haven't been able to find an updated manual for the Arbotix-M version of the board - not even on the Vanadium Labs site.
    2. Does anyone know where I can find it?
    3. How's the support for this item ? Any problems in that area ?

Thanks for all responses in advance.

Images

Re: Just bought Arbotix-M : Is there a newer manual out? Any problems with it from other owners?

The documentation is linked on the product page under the 'Documentation & Downloads' tab. There is very little difference between the Arbotix and Arbotix-M, so just about everything for the arbotix works for the arbotix-m.

They switched to a surface-mount version of the ATmega644p, removed the low power H-bridge (since so few people used it and it was not adequate for many larger robots) to free the PWM pins, gave access to more pins as 3-pin servo-style headers, and replaced the linear 5V regulator with a nice 5V1.5A Murata switching regulator with both barrel connector and screw terminals for power input.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    [git][mech][hack]
    gives free advice only on public threads

3. Re: Just bought Arbotix-M : Is there a newer manual out? Any problems with it from other owners?

Thanks for the help! But, wow, the documentation sure does seem to be somewhat slip-shod. Pieces here, pieces there. It would just be nice to have a well organized clean package/zip file to download everything instead of having to hunt around for the pieces & parts. Or am I simply not comprehending something, perhaps ?

Anyway, with your help I am on the way to getting an AX-12 motor turning soon, I hope.

4. Re: Just bought Arbotix-M : Is there a newer manual out? Any problems with it from other owners?

FYI - for those that might be having the same kind of difficulty I am I tracked down the AX Test Sketches here:
    https://github.com/treeherder/arduino_sketches
    The fellow named "TreeHerder" was nice enough to archive some of the files. I am very grateful to him ! :-)

Images

Re: Just bought Arbotix-M : Is there a newer manual out? Any problems with it from other owners?

Again, all the files were linked on the 'Documentation & Downloads' tab of the product page. The 'Vanadium Labs Github' link is to the files of the arbotix creator/maintainer, and the 'ArbotiX Library and Hardware Files' link is to the learn.trossen copy of the libraries and sketches (branched from the vanadium labs github repositories). Clarification in the link titles would certainly be helpful to new users.

The trossen folks really need to remove all the links to code.google immediately as everything has been moved to github, and what remains at code.google is horribly out of date and will lead only to confusion of new users. The only thing that might remain from code.google is the link to 'arbotix-manual-draft2.pdf'.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    [git][mech][hack]

6. Re: Just bought Arbotix-M : Is there a newer manual out? Any problems with it from other owners?

Thanks again. My apologies for being snarky - my comments using "slip shod" were intended toward the Vanadium Labs' documentation. The documentation presented by Trossen is quite nice. The 2 AX Test Sketches were exactly what I needed after following Trossen's documentation. At least in the near term!

Images

While Vanadium Labs did do the original design, the ArbotiX-M is manufactured and sold entirely by Trossen Robotics, hence the documents on the Vanadium site not being up to date. That said, I also don't believe in just deleting everything that is there, because people who have bought the product in the past might have bookmarks and whatnot, especially since not every feature/library/etc was ported forward as the Arduino environment changed over the past several years.

-Fergs

Images

Being a digital packrat/hoarder, I completely understand keeping archival links and pages around as long as there is some part of their title clearly indicating its status ('old', 'deprecated', 'replaced by...'). A product page linking to the code.google project and tutorial pages without indicating that the downloads one would find there have been deprecated; that kind of irks me, although it was apparently the wiki.ros page for installing the arbotix_ros package that was the greater source of confusion.

...and, apparently, I was a little bit bored. <--Mostly converted the code.google tutorial for PyPose to the vanadiumlabs.github.io/arbotix style, but cannot get github to issue a pull-request without the 'gh-pages' branch first existing in the vanadiumlabs pypose repo. The 'walking with poses' link to issy's sketch is the only one still pointing to the code.google site. My master branch of pypose for the OpenCM diverges a bit from the arbotix version, so best to ignore it.
    [git][mech][hack]

9. Re: Just bought Arbotix-M : Is there a newer manual out? Any problems with it from other owners?

Now that is GREAT news to me! My original cause for concern was due to the lack of current documentation on the Vanadium Labs website for the Arbotix-M board. Personally, I think a statement similar to the one below would do a lot of good on the Trossen Robotics page for the Arbotix-M product - and maybe even increase sales! I almost did not order the board for that very reason, but I am very glad I did. It's a great product and the (Trossen) documentation is well done.

Quote Originally Posted by lnxfergy View Post
    While Vanadium Labs did do the original design, the ArbotiX-M is manufactured and sold entirely by Trossen Robotics, hence the documents on the Vanadium site not being up to date.
    -Fergs
    Last edited by trcat; 06-18-2014 at 01:07 PM.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tician View Post
    ...and, apparently, I was a little bit bored. <--Mostly converted the code.google tutorial for PyPose to the vanadiumlabs.github.io/arbotix style, but cannot get github to issue a pull-request without the 'gh-pages' branch first existing in the vanadiumlabs pypose repo. The 'walking with poses' link to issy's sketch is the only one still pointing to the code.google site. My master branch of pypose for the OpenCM diverges a bit from the arbotix version, so best to ignore it.
    I pulled your branch into the mainline -- it's better than nothing. Feel free to open any future pull requests for updates -- they will be merged!

-Fergs

Thread Information