Thread: Unreal Engine - OpenSource-Education + ROS !

1. Exclamation Unreal Engine - OpenSource-Education + ROS !

Guys how can we connect ROS Os with Unreal Engine ?

https://www.unrealengine.com/education

Images

Re: Unreal Engine - OpenSource-Education + ROS !

You've been using ROS (that extra 'OS' is highly redundant) for over a year, and you still do not know what it is and is not?
    ROS is not a video game. ROS is not a CGI movie. ROS is not meant to be a perfectly rendered robot simulator.
    ROS is the system responsible for sensor processing, actuator control, and navigation/interaction of the robot, which typically require large amounts of processing power.

Gazebo is a rather simple simulation and visualization of the robot and some of its environment without requiring massive processing power. If you want some super polished rendering engine to hog resources from the very important (near-)real-time systems actually controlling the robot, then build it yourself or pay someone to build it for you. Your posts about Gazebo are approaching the level of absurdity of owning a $400,000 robot with tech support direct from the builders and not being able to follow a simple tutorial or read any documentation.
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    "You have failed me, Brain!"
    [git][mech][hack]
    gives free advice only on public threads

Images

Guessing it was a mod (the resident from Dreamworks, perhaps?) that deleted curka's response from friday morning, but this bit rather irked me and I've not been able to ignore it.
    Quote Originally Posted by curka View Post
    sorry for that but you doesn’t know anyíthing about the REAL Behaviour of the Graphic Engines.
    It's true that I have no experience programming with DirectX or Unreal engine or any other graphics/physics engine, but significant experience with CAD/CAM and FEA/FEM (and a bit of rendering with Bryce in highschool) has made me very well aware of one inescapable fact: making things prettier (or simulations more accurate) involves increasing resolution (pixel/voxel count), increasing polygon count (decreasing mesh size), and improving physics estimation accuracy, and all of those result in a massive increase in the amount of computations and memory storage required to render each and every frame of video. I lost days of my life waiting for FEA simulations to finish because the software was unable to utilize the GPU for general-purpose computing.

Further experience in machine vision and image processing - you know, the stuff that makes useful robots (semi-)autonomous - leaves me very well acquainted with the massive computational requirements of extracting useful information from the very large data streams produced by vision and depth sensors. Fortunately, the same massively parallel processors (GPUs) designed for rendering images also work rather well in performing the assorted operations/transformations needed to make vision sensor streams useful without constant human intervention (tele-operation).
    Please pardon the pedantry... and the profanity... and the convoluted speech pattern...
    [git][mech][hack]

Images

Kinda spamming, but wanted to clarify that the 'irked and could not ignore' was not anger or annoyance but a sort of 'catchy song ear worm' caused by the reply's 'amusing in its wrongness'-levels.

The role of ROS is much like your nervous system; it links all your independent actuators and sensors to the major processing centers that permit you and all your components to function together. There is no specific, overarching 'goal' or 'function' of ROS other than to integrate robotic systems and permit easier code reuse in robotics.

Yes, you could create software modules to be used with ROS to create a pretty video game and/or movie using simulated sensor inputs, but there are far better tools available that were designed specifically to do those tasks. If you are attempting to use live sensor streams, the processing power rendering pretty pictures would usually be better utilized in extracting information from the sensor streams.
    [git][mech][hack]

Thread Information