Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Experiment with Intel Edison...

Images

Re: Experiment with Intel Edison...

Nice! I'm glad they finally got the MCU released. This will totally be my hexapod brain when i free up some time. My racer car digital dash/datalogger is just about finished so then i can get back to this. I'm trying not to start too much at once.

Is it possible to update the firmware without wiping or losing your files?

I agree except the current much stuff is pretty limited. You have access to two harts, but fastest access is 115200, Only 1 thread, gpio appears to be slow...

Also so looks like spi is Doa on this release. Just starting up a test program for ili9341 display hangs. get a resource timeout after two minuets and one thread is spinning at 100%..

In case anyone is interested, example discussion talking about the current speed of the MCU:
    From the thread: https://communities.intel.com/thread/67355
    Code:
    #include "mcu_api.h"
    #include "mcu_errno.h"
    void mcu_main()
    {
         gpio_setup(14, 1);
       while (1)  {
             gpio_write(14, 1);
             gpio_write(14, 0);
         }
    }

With some IO pins like 14 here they got a square wave of about 83khz, with some other pins about 26khz, which sucks, considering with using main processor with memory mapped IO I saw somewhere between 1-2mhz maybe higher. So wonder why so slow.

Hopefully their next release is soon and extends this and removes restrictions. Things like having to reboot the whole linux processor in order to update or kill the MCU program. Also enable multi-threading as the RTOS they mention supports this.

As for SPI each release appears to get worse (https://communities.intel.com/thread/67414)

Time will tell...

So wonder why so slow.
    the digitalWrite() function may not be inlined, and may have too much indirection. Intel is a micro-processor company, not a micro-controller company, which ends up shining through in everything they do. (They are also not a software company.)

Do you get the source to the runtime support library for the small "mote" CPU? Do you have data sheets? You might be able to find the registers you need to poke, and could do it manually yourself.

Intel has not made any of the hardware stuff open source. That is there is no documentation on the actual internals of the Edison. There are hints that the MCU is an Intel Atom, so may be able to deduce something from this.

As for sources, not sure for the MCU. There is a special setup version of Eclipse for building and uploading the MCU programs to the Edison. I have installed it, but personally have not done anything with it yet.

I also have no clue on how the hardware of the MCU is connected up to the IO pins or UARTS. For all I know they make a request to some device driver on the main processors, who then do the work...

For all I know they make a request to some device driver on the main processors, who then do the work...
    That would be typical Intel. At least if the main processor device handler was in turn written in Visual Basic...

(I'm looking at you, VTune!)

Images

I'm trying to figure out how best to get my Edison talking to servos. Is Trossen still supporting the Edison for the HROS1 stuff? Will they release a breakout board that is optimized for driving the servos, etc? All I need is to break out a UART, level shift it and jumper the TX/RX, right?

Images

Hi,

Not for hijacking but it's related to the Edison, I just came across this video from Tested at Maker Faire. Interesting to see the XL-320 used on a hexapod. The design reminds me of the larger one from Matt Bunting. They are using the Intel Edison, but the hexapod demo on the video is fairly poor though.

Kåre Halvorsen aka Zenta
    ---------------------------------
    Zenta's YouTube channel
    Zenta's Blog
    Zenta's Instagram

Images

I thought Matt did build those. The cycles they are playing looks just like Matt's code.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by KevinO View Post
    I thought Matt did build those. The cycles they are playing looks just like Matt's code.
    That was my thought too. Sad he didn't get any credit for it though.
    Kåre Halvorsen aka Zenta
    ---------------------------------
    Zenta's YouTube channel
    Zenta's Blog
    Zenta's Instagram

Thread Information