Thread: MX-12W to a MX-12A Conversion

1. MX-12W to a MX-12A Conversion

Since Robotis doesn't offer them yet, I converted a MX-12W servo (ratio ~ 32 : 1) to a MX-12A (ratio ~ 254 : 1) using gears 2, 3 and 4 and the gear 3 shaft from an AX-12A.

Also changed the PID gains for the new gear ratio to D = 0, I = 0 and P = 32. Note that a reset will set the gains back to the defaults.

Haven't found a source for the gear 3 shaft other then an AX-12A. Using a Mark 1 eyeball, it appears to about 15 x 1.1 mm hardened polished steel. Will get better mesurements when I get a Micrometer.

If anyone knows of a source for the shaft (other then AX-12A servos), please post it here.

2. Re: MX-12W to a MX-12A Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by vehemens View Post
    Using a Mark 1 eyeball, it appears to about 15 x 1.1 mm hardened polished steel. Will get better mesurements when I get a Micrometer.
    Got a Micrometer and the shaft measured as 15 x 1.6 mm.

3. Re: MX-12W to a MX-12A Conversion

Using dowel pins with a decent finish and after trimming to length (i.e. 15.80 to 15.05 mm) works. Got mine from Amazon. Manufacturer: MARAFAST, SKU: ADLP005005P, Size: 1/16 x 5/8", Item: Dowel pin, Finish: Bright.

Re: MX-12W to a MX-12A Conversion

For what it's worth: I think a MX-12A would be a beautiful thing. Wish they'd hurry up and release the real thing :-)
    (Not that your custom mods aren't awesome -- I'd love to see some pictures of the innards of that!)

5. Re: MX-12W to a MX-12A Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    For what it's worth: I think a MX-12A would be a beautiful thing. Wish they'd hurry up and release the real thing :-)
    (Not that your custom mods aren't awesome -- I'd love to see some pictures of the innards of that!)
    Ditto on the release of a MX-12A or MX-18A as trimming 20+ shafts takes time. As for the insides, it's now the same as an AX-12A but with a magnetic encoder (i.e. board and output shaft).

Only other issue is that Robotis doesn't sell a MX-12W gear set, but it does appear possible to modify an AX-12A output shaft to accept the magnetic from a broken one.

6. Re: MX-12W to a MX-12A Conversion

Since you asked, here's a picture of my first MX-12W servo after having it for less then a day
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140905_004340.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	5733

Thread Information